Home Metal Detecting
Options

Guys I need some Help with these please!

I met a fellow today that owns these and would like some information on them.
If there is anything you can tell me about these please feel free to add any information Including a Value of them, Thanks guys.

Thanks again,

PURPLE!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice arrowheads, does he make them commercially or just as a hobby? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Nice arrowheads, does he make them commercially or just as a hobby? Cheers, RickO >>

Uh, No , He doesnt make them nor did he make these. They were found in a field in Ohio back in the 80's. Are you saying thy are fakes?
  • Options
    I am a little suspicious of them...the fit and finish is almost too good and there seems to be no patina. The light brown one is really suspect. The dove tails are not like the authentic ones I have seen. It is very difficult to get those notches that deep and that thin by flint chipping.

• Options
    Just judging from the pictures (and in hand could be different), I would have thought they were modern made rather than authentic. They are 'too perfect' compared to most that I have seen. I could be wrong.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grew up in Ohio and my dad pulled a lot of arrowheads out of our property and I concur-- most are a LOT smaller than that and not nearly that perfect. Most of the ones my dad found are made of flint-- that looks like some other material?

The two best finds I know of in my area were of an effigy pipe and a carved flint eagle.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohio seems to be a good place to find them.

Where's John (goldrush00013)? Not only is he from Ohio, but he was our resident projectile point guy here for a while.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Lord M , I was hoping GR was still on here to get word on these.

These have been taken to a Roadshow and were looked at. The Appraiser gave me an email address to a guy who could give me 100% word on these but 2 weeks almost has passed and still nothing. So , I dunno whats up.

PURPLE
  • Options
    Hey Purple!

The larger point is a Diagonal Notched Point which dates to the Archaic time period. (approx. 4,000 - 5,000 BC) They are not a common type in Ohio and are more often seen in Kentucky and is called a Deep Notch there. The material appears to be Flint Ridge Flint from Licking County Ohio. I'm pretty confident it's authentic, but would have to see it in hand to be sure.

The smaller one is a typical Hopewell Point. They date from 250 BC - 400 AD. Hard to tell the material, but it could also be Flint Ridge Flint. (Is it at all translucent?)
    Appears to be a no-brainer as far as authenticity.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks GR, You still in Ohio? I'm Back in Dayton Ohio now. If you want to see them in hand I can ask the owner if I can take them for a while so you can see them.

PURPLE!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really miss arrowhead hunting in Ohio! I used to go out after fields were plowed-- after a rain was the best time.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Wow... if Goldrush says they are authentic, then they are some real beauties... very impressive. I would love to have them myself. Good luck.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I forgot to give you the value. If they came up at our auction house (which is probably the finest in the state) I would expect the Diagonal Notch to fetch $200 - $350. The Hopewell would probably realize $90- $125.

They won't likely bring that much at your average auction , and they would only bring that kind of money if we know their provenance. Without their provenance you can cut the values in half. We have some of the biggest collectors around attend our auctions plus we do absentee and live phone bids.
    (which is my job to organize all bids)

Here is our site.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    pretty sweet GR thanks a bunch man!

PURPLE