Home U.S. Coin Forum

I think that the Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Flip is played out

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
This thread is dedicated to Ziggy29. image

I think that LN6 Flip is played out. There seems to be at best a plateau in prices, but more likely, slow erosion in the prices of items sold on ebay. I also have seen (and participated in) a drop in offering prices on the BST. A dealer is quietly offering $100 per set. The prediction of these being $400 by Thanksgiving, made by some of the more enthusiastic supporters, of this set is not realistic.

What do you think?

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing last night
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Yeah I agree. I think everyone pretty much "flipped out" and since so many are available to purchase from those trying to make a profit it almost seems there never was a 50k limit. If anything I believe years down the road when everyone who actually wanted one of these sets has one, the potential value will go up because no one will want to sell them.
  • LOL. I'm only laughing because this thing JUST came out and many of us don't even have them in hand yet.

If the flip is "played out" as RYK suggests, then man this was a quick one!

I have no idea what will happen in the future, but it just goes to show again that you blink, you lose in the flipper's game.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • If you think about the $$$$ people were paying,
    it was flat out ridiculous for a different package.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Only time will tell.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL. I'm only laughing because this thing JUST came out and many of us don't even have them in hand yet.

If the flip is "played out" as RYK suggests, then man this was a quick one! >>

Well, what remains to be seen is if there is a "second wave" later after the people waiting for the initial wave of secondary-market supply to dwindle.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will still be flipped as long as profit allows it. But the early, silly prices will certainly fade, I agree.
    Lance.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As more arrive from the mint it will become a race to see who can dump them before the prices crash.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only time will tell. >>

Which appears as if its being measured on a Stopwatch! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I bought few LN6 sets, thinking I might keep one and sell the rest. After opening one of them.
    I changed my mind. I am keeping all and just selling one. I bet after the flipping settles the price will go higher.
    Just my thought.
  • RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    I hope so as I want to buy sets as gifts so $100 would be a great price.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Lincoln market in general is just maxed out with too much stuff for one year.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am setup at a show this weekend and may sell mine and rebuy on the BST. Either way I want to own a set long term. I think it is a well done set.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RTS is right, there could be a slight boost from holiday gift sales. I think the timing is right and if the supply dries up around the end of November...you could see some upside.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • While you mercenary types drool over the huge runup in price this past week (would one of you CPA's or mathematically gifted people come up wih an annualized return?), I'm keeping mine. Bottom line, they're pretty cool.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭
    You know, very smart people are grabbing these at $100!
    However I am not because I am not that smart. image

• << <i>As more arrive from the mint it will become a race to see who can dump them before the prices crash. >>

I agree..........
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a long term winner, no doubt about it. I don't even Collect Lincoln's, But I have 2 sets for my kids and these are not for sale.

Once the supply dries up, you will see that this is a major issue by the US MINT.

Yes the packaging matters, A LOT!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    when packaging matters more then the actual coins it will become a natural dud over time.
    the mint must love collectors who snap this stuff up and it seems they aim to saturate the market
    with every type of gimmick they can come up with.
  • I think there's a lot of people out there who love to collect Lincoln stuff me being one of them. I think once the flipping is done and they get into the hands of those who truly want them they could become a little more scarce holding prices up. JMO

Greg Bose
    CoinSpace.com Founder
    www.coinspace.com
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>when packaging matters more then the actual coins it will become a natural dud over time.
    the mint must love collectors who snap this stuff up and it seems they aim to saturate the market
    with every type of gimmick they can come up with. >>

Dont agree with this position.If the mint were trying to flip(lol) these sets they would have made many more of them.I am glad that my one and only set is on the way.I dont intend to sell it at any price but I wont pay 100.00 for another one either. Enjoy your coins I know I will.image
  • I received mine today and it is okay. Some of the cents have a small nick or two. It has a nice cover but I can't figure out how to see the other side of the coins!!
    Any suggestions on how to open it to see the other side of the coins? I don't want to "break it" open. The leather cover is a nice touch.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>when packaging matters more then the actual coins it will become a natural dud over time.
    with every type of gimmick they can come up with. >>

Dont agree with this position.If the mint were trying to flip(lol) these sets they would have made many more of them.I am glad that my one and only set is on the way.I dont intend to sell it at any price but I wont pay 100.00 for another one either. Enjoy your coins I know I will.image >>

the mint is pretty crafty in my mind. you pick a good number to sell that makes you a nice
    profit and that number is low enough to create enough buzz to cause an instant sell out.

hook them on this and perhaps they will buy all the other mass produced stuff too. a key
    mentality with collectors is that you have to make them think they have something "special"
    even though it was just made last month in "china" and some common coins added to it.

there is a certain way "collectibles" are marketed and you see this same type of setup
    in many hobbies: cards, comics, coins, etc...

create something that gets a lot of buzz causing others to want it also.. hooking them
    and reeling them in by selling them other related stuff.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    As we get closer to Christmas gift buying time,

the sets should see a second wave of price

increases.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>I received mine today and it is okay. Some of the cents have a small nick or two. It has a nice cover but I can't figure out how to see the other side of the coins!!
    Any suggestions on how to open it to see the other side of the coins? I don't want to "break it" open. The leather cover is a nice touch. >>

You need to push down on the bottom of the coin, the top will then come up and you can view the other side.
    The support beneath the coin is hollow with no rim support underneath the coin to allow pushing down in order to remove and examine the obverse.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bid/ask spread on the BST boards appears to be $100/$135

I may have missed a couple

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Was it Mr. Longacre who quantified exactly what level of obscene profit might be possible from flipping this set? I hope he didn't get left holding the bag! image
  • Thank you!
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>Only time will tell. >>

ksteelheader is the only one with the right answer...everything else is just opinions.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was it Mr. Longacre who quantified exactly what level of obscene profit might be possible from flipping this set? I hope he didn't get left holding the bag! image >>

I took into account the value of the Longacre Pedigree on the set, which will sustain the projected Obscene Profit. Therefore, my set does not fall under the assumptions set forth by my distinguished colleague from Missouri in the OP. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes,
    She'll be comin' round the mountain when she comes....Lincoln First Souse Gold Coin......image
  • The only draw to this set is the packaging. The cents in my sets are actually pretty bad but send it back and you will never get it replaced so I'll keep it since it was never bought to flip anyway. When all the flipping is complete and the sets are with people who will keep them the prices will once again sky rocket since it will be a scarcer commodity.

Edited to clarify my SETS, I only ordered one set not multiples.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Mine is being shipped now

the flipping has dropped, but I predict it will be a long time before they go for less than purchase price

(unless you take into consideration the value of the dollar which has to go down due to the stimulus printing/borrowing of trillions)
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only draw to this set is the packaging. The cents in my sets are actually pretty bad but send it back and you will never get it replaced so I'll keep it since it was never bought to flip anyway. When all the flipping is complete and the sets are with people who will keep them the prices will once again sky rocket since it will be a scarcer commodity. >>

If you feel that this set will do better than the proof sets, crack out the cents and put them into this set.
    Paul
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    They'll be $400 when the 1999 silver proofs hit $500. image
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    Remember the last time the mint repackaged other separately available coins into a limited edition packaged set:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

I guess two years (actually 21 months) is long enough for people to forget that these types of offerings quickly beqin to trade at a discount to the sum of the parts.

WH
  • right when i saw this thread, it prompted me to get off my butt and put my set on ebay. i put it on today for $150 shipped and 3 hours later it sold. whew! i'll take that gain. i'm glad i got $150 for my set. now i'm going to order some of the unc sets.

C
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I firmly believe this set has great potential. The downturn is very much expected as supply is flooded with all the orders being fulfilled.

What did you expect? It will logically take a few weeks for the bubble of flippers to pass ---- then what? Supply dries up since there is only a limited amount available.

Basic economics. And, guess when the highest demand of the season is? Hmmmmm....mmmmm...

I put my $ where my mouth is...right RYK?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • The LP1s also took a dip shortly after they came out, dropping from the $60/70 range into the $30 range, before taking off again.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember the 2006 3 piece ASE set dropping down and being cheap ($150.00 range) right after the release when all the flippers hit the market, Three months later I sold my sealed set for $500.00. I realize that to get the graded set you needed a sealed set, not the same thing with the 2001 C&C set yet both were more valuable in the sealed box. In the case of the 2001 C&C even though the 2001-D Buff Dollar was available as a single people wanted the sealed sets to look for possible 70's.

I bought three of the LCC sets from the mint with a little help from a couple friends, opened one and after examination I found the cents and the dollar to seem much nicer than the cents from a regular proof set, maybe the capsules will make the difference. As for the Dollars I have to wonder if these were first run and held back for the sets, or the last of the run, either way it seems to be high quality work and I will keep the other two sealed and see how it goes.

Still well worth the price I paid to the mint.
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I think that the Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Flip is played out>>

To a degree, my original set is ugly, every cent has a hit, ding, or spot.
    Bought a couple @ $135, they too have issues. Can I remove a spot seeing it's 95% copper?
    One positive, I like the copy of the Gettysburg address.
    scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I still don't have the Lincoln set in hand, but it is on the way. I hope the quality is not as disappointing as the mint set that I received last night. How difficult is it to put the coins in straight, rather than in some random order (crooked, almost upside down, etc.)?

For my Lincoln set, I will probably just end up keeping it, unless I can hire someone to post it on Ebay for me.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still don't have the Lincoln set in hand, but it is on the way. I hope the quality is not as disappointing as the mint set that I received last night. How difficult is it to put the coins in straight, rather than in some random order (crooked, almost upside down, etc.)?

For my Lincoln set, I will probably just end up keeping it, unless I can hire someone to post it on Ebay for me. >>

Congrats on getting a set. Based on your high order number I would have bet against you ever getting your set but apparently the mint cancelled a lot of duplicate orders. I'm sure the coins were straight when they were put in the case but they can rotate in the capsule during the shipping process.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Did anybody catch the the price the coin vault had the other day when they had a few of these on?
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    1 more available.

A friend of mine had his ordered cancelled.

Credit card issue.

Good fortune to whoever gets it.

On a different note, I was thinking of replacing the Proof cents with better quality ones.
    The Lincoln $ is flawless and deserves flawless cents too.

Joe

• DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    657 completed transactions on eBay (max 150 no-sells). Just a handful over $200 topping out at $250 with lot's and lot's of no-sells in that price range. Looks like a solid spread on these is $150-$180 range right now. Lowest on eBay sold for $118 + some change two weeks ago.

There's another 401 active auctions on eBay for this set. I think I'm going to wait until the dust clears a little before getting into the fray.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

• << <i>Did anybody catch the the price the coin vault had the other day when they had a few of these on? >>

I missed that one, but I know later they had a clone 5 coin set in a NGC holder for $150 PF69.

These sets might enjoy a spike next fall when the Lincoln Prez $1 coin comes out. Time will tell.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh great, I haven't received my set yet!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DeloreanDelorean Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who would like to get out and still make a few dollars on "The Flip" can sell them to me, I'll take em all for $75 each.

Chuck.
    Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I think there is still legs to higher prices on these.

Current auctions went from 170 to 425 with only a small drop in prices:

160-180 to 140-160.

By now all sets have shipped, next 2 weeks should show increase in current auctions then a drop in listings.

By Thanksgiving prices should increase again.

As many have noted, these sets are really well done and will be keepers for most.

Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file