Options

WORLD SERIES...Phillies-Yankees Game 2 thread

will be very quiet.

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    can't wait to see how he pitches tonight.

i like zimmer but what was he thinking that day??
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if Pedro gets hammered. Also wouldn't be surprised if it affects his pitching too. image Seriously I expect him to get shelled. Didn't he publicly profess at one time that he can't beat the Yankees or was that some other team?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't be surprised if Pedro gets hammered. Also wouldn't be surprised if it affects his pitching too. image Seriously I expect him to get shelled. Didn't he publicly profess at one time that he can't beat the Yankees or was that some other team? >>

He said something along the lines of the Yankees are my daddy....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I think the matchup of Pedro vs. AJ is fascinating on multiple levels.

Pedro has all the guts and guile in the world, but he's seen his best days. In perfect conditions, he can still contribute, but in the cold wet of NY it'll be tough for him, even without the ghosts swirling. AJ is the classic "body by porsche, head by tonka" type with stuff as nasty as anyone in the majors but prone to wildness and his own worst enemy on the mound. I wont go so far as to call him a right handed oliver perez but you get my point.

Bolt AJ's arm onto Pedros head and you have HOF Pedro from his younger days. Will AJ ever learn to control himself and be the best he can be? or will he implode in glorious fashion and push his team to the brink or the brink. Down 0-2 and facing 3 away games?

Tune in tonight to see.

Hyperion's BEST BET for game 2: Rivera will pitch the 8th and the 9th, if the yanks are within 4 runs, or the yanks are ahead.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    just dont portray him as the devil, he is a christian man...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Hyperion - I'm thinking along the same lines. I can't imagine either pitcher pitching all that well tonight. Pedro seems to be better suited to warm-weather pitching and Burnett is a coin flip every night. I think it'll end up being a high scoring game for both clubs and the bullpen will decide tonight's game. Advantage Yankees in Game 2.
  • Options

<< <i>and the bullpen will decide tonight's game. Advantage Yankees in Game 2. >>

Yeah that Yankees bullpen was stellar last night. They were en fuego. Lights friggin' out.

The Phillies have the Yanks bullpen number and will be dialing it on a regular basis in this Series.

Yankees bullpen: Hello?

Phillies: Can you throw some tougher pitches please? This is becoming too easy.

Bullpen: You'll have to speak up. I can't hear you over the crack of the bats. Would you like us to save these home run balls for you?

Both bullpens have equal problems, especially with middle relief.

The difference will be the manager making the right decision on who and when to pitch. That advantage goes to Cholly and Dubee.

The Yanks were down 4-0 last night in the 8th and Girardi did not put in Rivera. They began the 8th down 2-0.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Why would he put in Rivera down 2-0?

Rivera goes in when they are ahead or tied.

Hughes has done the job all season, last nite he failed.

If Joe did use Rivera last night what does he do tonight if they are leading late?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hyperion's BEST BET for game 2: Rivera will pitch the 8th and the 9th, if the yanks are within 4 runs, or the yanks are ahead.

Unbelievable, Rivera does NOT pitch if they are down, especially if they are down within 4 runs.

I do agree with your ending though "if they are ahead"

edited to add: The only game that Joe might use Rivera down by 2 runs is a championship game

where if they lose it's over. Like a game 7.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

I should have added a "BTW" since I was referencing another thread also.
  • Options

<< <i>Hyperion's BEST BET for game 2: Rivera will pitch the 8th and the 9th, if the yanks are within 4 runs, or the yanks are ahead.

Unbelievable, Rivera does NOT pitch if they are down, especially if they are down within 4 runs.

I do agree with your ending though "if they are ahead"

edited to add: The only game that Joe might use Rivera down by 2 runs is a championship game

where if they lose it's over. Like a game 7.

Steve >>

if the yanks are ahead by a slim margin, or close, they're going to bring in Mariano to make sure that lead is LOCKED DOWN, and hope to break the phillies (homer prone) short relief.... that's my hunch, we'll see how it plays out. This is a MUST game for the yanks, going into the end of their rotation...
  • Options
    It is the second game! What back end of the rotation???

They still have not used Pettite, the number 3 guy. I'm thinking CC goes in game 4.

lol.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Let's go Petey!

• Options
    Hey, did you guys know that Wanda Sykes is getting her own show on Fox? Just thought I would let you know in case you were not aware.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Something tells me the fair weather fans won't be here tonight.

(edited by murcerfan.....I mean, classy fair weather fans) image
  • Options
    It looks like Girardi is gonna pull Burnett & let Mriano pitch the 8th & 9th. THe way AJ is pitching I think maybe you bring him out & see if he can get through the side, if he allows a base runner then bring in Mo. Hmmm....we'll see how this unfolds. We need to win this game.
  • Options
    I do not like Mo getting 2 outs. But I like how the 7th is going for us.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not looking good. Oh well, I'm not unhappy with an away split.

Back to Philly and we'll do better.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, did you guys know that Wanda Sykes is getting her own show on Fox? Just thought I would let you know in case you were not aware. >>

What!! News to me and quite annoying......
  • Options
    -
  • Options
    Strategy against Rivera...how about everybody just try a drag bunt?
  • Options

<< <i>Not looking good. Oh well, I'm not unhappy with an away split.

Back to Philly and we'll do better. >>

Yep you should be happy on the split.
  • Options
    come on...hit this bum Rivera...he ain't that good is he?
  • Options
    Park one baby...I'll never ask for anything else again.
  • Options
    this home plate ump is a disease!
  • Options
    suck it Rivera - you dog
  • Options
    I jinxed it FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
  • Options
    took the bat outa Ryan's hands DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMit
  • Options
    oh well...that really is it for tonight...back to Philly.
  • Options
    That was a must win...glad we did! image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>took the bat outa Ryan's hands DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMit >>

I'm pretty sure Howard did that all by himself tonight with his "clutch" hitting.

4 k's...he was in the zone!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>took the bat outa Ryan's hands DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMit >>

I'm pretty sure Howard did that all by himself tonight with his "clutch" hitting.

4 k's...he was in the zone! >>

is that better or worse than aroid? 0-7 3 ks, what does he have 10 ks in 14 ABs?

equal time!
  • Options
    Yeah too bad we didn't get to see Rivera in the game with the Yanks down 4-0

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

4 k's...he was in the zone! >>

is that better or worse than aroid? 0-7 3 ks, what does he have 10 ks in 14 ABs?

equal time! >>

I'm not an Arod fan either and could care less about the comparison.

I was referring to last nights game only, not the series. The fact remains that Howard sucked last night and his team lost.

Arod sucked as well but his team won. That's far from equal time.