Home Precious Metals
Options

Does anyone here buy scrap Gold jewerly?

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
And if so where is the best place to sell to?

Comments

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Here's a place locally that in a brick and motor with prices paid posted and a good BB rating. They insure up to $5000 on packages. They have an TV spot that show what the national dealers pay vs them which is twice as much. These are good people but you'd have to shop around for the best price I have no idea what scrap is bringing but at least they post what they pay.

Tulsa Gold and Gems
  • Options
    I don't know about that ttown. Went to their site and checked .925 sterling. $8.76 per troy oz??????

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Like I said they deal in scrap and I'm not sure what it brings but they do post prices and it give him a starting point. You know before you send what they pay which is fair. You wouldn't want to send in coins but jewelery maybe quite a bit different it always seems to sell at a discount.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a few members here mentioned a place called midwest refinery or something like that that pays like 90% of the value???? Someone chime in.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont sell it to the motel buyers, lady came in friday with a heavy 18k chain they offered here 925 for it, I paid her 1600.00 and still made a few hundred bucks!!

Jim
  • Options
    definitely DO NOT MAIL the stuff. once its out of your hands, the buyer has total control.

best to shop it around.

how much do you have? it might not be worth the gas to drive to more than one place.

I have a few advertising on my website, but unless you can have a face to face sale, I would pass on any sort of "thru the mail" thing.

standard thru the mail rip off goes like this:

1. you send in your gold
    2. you wait
    3. their check comes days later
    4. you dont want their offer, so you send the check back
    5. the same check comes back to you because the "return time" has expired
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer I work with pays 95% of spot and resells to the refiner for 100% of spot.

Note: that's what he's told me. I have not sold scrap to him.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    roadrunner, that seems awful generous. how can the refiner pay 100% of spot? what is he refining (product) that he makes a profit?
  • Options

<< <i>roadrunner, that seems awful generous. how can the refiner pay 100% of spot? what is he refining (product) that he makes a profit? >>

I agree. My firm has been buying and selling scrap for 40 years and we have never encountered a refiner who will pay 100% spot on scrap. Why would you when most dealers pay spot for 24K maple leafs and pandas? No refining necessary, known purity and weight by a stable manufacturer and convenient size. Scrap needs to be melted and refined.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Midwestrefineries seems legit. Several members have done business with them, they don't seem like a scam. The prices they pay seem much better than most coin stores.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Midwestrefineries has been around forever and has always got good reviews on these boards. I wouldn't hesitate to send them all my scrap even if I didn't know what it was worth, as they would get me my fair price.

I got about 85% from a local dealer so I was happy.
    Mike C.
    mclark202@insightbb.com

Positive BST references: Weather11am, Mrmom, Metalsman, GAB, Mash, FishyOne, Cone10, Keepdachange, etc...
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    sneaky, from checking around local dealers and pawn shops, 80% seems to be the norm, so your 85% is very good.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoneyLA, I had my numbers slightly off. But this now makes more sense. After getting feedback from my dealer, he pays 94% for clean gold, gets paid 98% from the smelter with no smelting charges (gold only). He must provide a min. of 100dwt. So now everyone can make some money....except me. I've never bought or sold any scrap gold. Guess I just like the feel of round 1 oz gold coins....or rectangular if they encased in plastic.

94% sure beats the CASH4$GOLD guys and probably 99% of the local B&M's.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    thanks for the clarification. 94% is indeed excellent. I'm curious-- what does he mean by "clean gold?" never heard that term before?
  • Options

<< <i>thanks for the clarification. 94% is indeed excellent. I'm curious-- what does he mean by "clean gold?" never heard that term before? >>

"Clean gold" means hallmarked pieces of a known purity. For me it is jewelry made by well known manufacturers that I think are honest about their karating. If it is stamped 14K, it is actually 14K. There are some local manufacturers that I know are crooked and have sold jewelry stamped 14K that was actually 10K and jewelry stamped 10K that was maybe 6K. They were the "price leaders" in this area in the early '90s and sold a ton of stuff. They were put out of business not by allegations of underkarating but copyright infringement. They were making unauthorized copies of Disney and Warner Bros. characters. The mouse's lawyers got all their ill-gotten profits and then some, but their bogus merchandise is still littered all over the Detroit area.