Home Metal Detecting
Options

Wow, 8 silvers and 1 gold today! (maybe 9 silver?)

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Beat my old record for most silver in a day by at least 1, maybe 2.

1951 Silver Washington Quarter
2 1946 Roosies
1942 Merc
3 Wartime Nickels (I consider them as silver)
1 Sterling heart ring
1951 10k Class ring. Will see if I can track down the high school, but it's only initials for the school name.
Buffalo nickel too

(edited for typo)
There is one other piece that I find interesting. It looks like a band ring, and resembles silver but I'm not sure what to make of it:
1) using silver polish, the polish turned dark black when cleaning, which can indicate precious metal
2) I tried using the silver test kit but I didn't see any reaction from the formula (will try again)
3) It looks like it was cast from two pieces... you can see a seam on the outside and inside
4) what it looks like now is the brighest it will go. It was underwater though for however many years so could that be partly why?
5) there is a design on both sides, which is very worn
Is this a ring? something else?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice finds... not sure about the other ring... it sure does look like a ring, but with a seam, well, I do not know. If silver, it should clean up better than that...Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice finds... not sure about the other ring... it sure does look like a ring, but with a seam, well, I do not know. If silver, it should clean up better than that...Cheers, RickO >>

TY! Definitely one of my best days of the year.

I asked some others on the Treasurenet forums and they don't believe it's a ring either, and it's probably not silver. I was hoping maybe someone purchased an ancient roman ring and was wearing it around, haha. You never know what'll pop up!
  • Options
    Great day! I can't improve your photos for some reason so I don't have a usable picture to go by (I need a new monitor, as most pics appear almost black off the Internet). But in regards to this:

<< <i>it sure does look like a ring, but with a seam, >>

I am wondering if it is a coin hammered into a ring? My grandfather used to make them and sometimes a seam would be created from the edges being hammered together. IE: Cut out the middle of a coin a little bigger than the ring size you want, stand the remaining coin on edge and gently start hammering it all around, as the top edge gets thin you bend it over the top and keep hammering until you have a band. The ring has a seam from being bent over and hammered back together, the final sizing was done on a ring sizing rod with a wooden mallet. My Grandpa made a walking liberty half into a band that has about 60% of its original weight for my Dad and engraved with the date he joined the USAF. Sometimes the metal would be bent down with more hammering applied hoping to create a smooth working surface on the ring sizer. So in other words, a hammered ring could have a seam on either side and maybe even both depending on the technique applied.

I need a pic of your find that I can see to compare with mine. BTW, I still have a Jefferson nickel from my birth year made into a band for me by my grandad...
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Wow! Ring or not, you had a great day!! Congrats on all the silver image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now we know what pocket change looked like 60 years ago. Those are geart finds. I guess those were rich kids back then. They didn't lose any pennies. What kind of an area did you find this in?
  • Options
    I too would be interested to know the area/region you found these. When I find silver they do not have any corrosion and once you rinse off the dirt they look like a nice clean coin (much more like your quarter rather than the Merc). The war nickels look really rough. That being said...congrats on the silver find!

Plus... If the silver coins look that way in your area maybe that really is a silver ring you have. If the ring were just steel then it would have A LOT of rust on it similar to your war nickels. If it is silver maybe it is a lower grade or purity of silver. Either way, congrats again on a great day of detecting.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    Hey guys, thanks for all your comments!

I found the first two rows in the same general area that I had my 7 silver day not too long ago

I had to leave that day and just got back there this past weekend. I started in the next section over and kept finding more silver! I stopped as soon as I found two clad dimes, haha. So I may just head back again this weekend. Also picked up 6 wheats, which I didn't think they were exciting enough to post pics.

The two bottom items were found at another location, but were still in the water. I'm starting to get a little shine out of that unidentified silver-like band, but still couldn't get a reaction from the silver test kit, so I'm not too confident it's silver at this point. It'd odd though, because the solution doesn't change color at all, just sits there.
  • Options
    Looks like you may have found a spot that hasn't been detected too heavily. You may be able to still find good things on subsequent visits, especially if the site is pretty large. Try to listen for very faint targets and you may be able to get down where the Barbers and Seated coins lie.... if the site is old enough. It looks like the site is large enough for many more visits to try to clean it out.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters