Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sale Catalogue Required

If anyone has a copy of the "Brand-Lichtenfels" sale (Kreisberg/Schulman in New York on 18/3/1964), I am trying to establish the details and picture if any for lot 2737 which was a George I, 1719 1st obverse halfpenny. Thanks.

Comments

• robp2robp2 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2024 8:22AM

15 years on and no progress, so if anyone can help it would be appreciated. Ta.

My coin is also ex Terner, but wasn't in the Goldberg sale 26th March 2003. Where else was his collection sold?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boosibri beat me to it- it is there

lot 2737

1719 George I Transitional type 1717, 18 on planchet of 1719 Grained Edge. Excessively rare. Ex Hoblyn and Caldecott Only 4 known- 2 plain edges 2 grained edges. Extremely Fine $75.00

It does not appear that there was a plate image of the coin in the catalog- if so, I missed it

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited May 15, 2024 4:01PM

Thanks chaps. Boosibri's link goes to a different sale in November 1964, but you can access the list of auctioneers from there, and the sale is listed under Kreisberg & Schulman.

I originally went to the portal looking for the Caldecott sales (1902, 1908 & 1912) but couldn't find them, or anything else remotely helpful. I think I must have some filters on I don't know about, as there are only just over 100 results for English coins and medals and nothing later than 1921.

There are now 3 grained edge coins. Peck's example went to Norweb (1/2 a grade better than mine). The very much inferior Rogers example came out of Baldwin's basement in 2006 with a ticket saying 'A gift from Peck 1951' which means these two are the pieces listed in 1958 & 1964 by Peck, leaving my coin as an unrecorded example, but could be the coin referred to as the better of two known in the Hoblyn sale (1906) if the Caldecott and Brand-Lichtenfels provenance applies. I doesn't help that Peck gives the provenance of his plain edge 1719 as ex-Hoblyn lot 197 in the appendix when this is a grained edge coin apparently also ex Hoblyn, but with no matching lot description to support this. Hoblyn 197 doesn't mention the edge, so could apply equally to either type.

The waters are still very muddy.

Many thanks

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Thanks. None of the 3 Caldecott sales there list a matching piece, so we are none the wiser.