Home Metal Detecting
Options

Huntin' the old farm house was frusterating!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went back home to Ohio to my parent's farm house in Middletown, Ohio, that was build in the mid 1800s. I didn't bring my detector but used my brother's Ace 250 while he used his White's MXT. It rained on and off and we were never able to do more than a couple of hours of detecting. The area around the farm house is really trashy! The only items of any interest were a Hot Wheel's car (On my top ten want-to-find list) and, without a detector, an Indian grinding stone. (Those things are all over the farm)

I'd like to go back with my CZ-3D, which I'm a lot more familiar with. My oldest brother showed me two foundations on the farm where old homesteads from the early 1900s stood but I had no chance to do anything around them than dig up nails. The Ace 250 was beeping like I had found Fort Knox but I think I just need to get familiar with that model.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    But at least you were able to get out and detect a little bit. I wonder if lots of trash is a common theme around old farm houses? My parents house was also built in the mid 1800's - in central/upstate NY - and had various uses over the years from what I've been told (square dance hall, farm house and just single family dwelling). I did some detecting around the grounds with a lower end detector - an old Bounty Hunter - and dug up a ton of trash. I did find a green 1919 wheatie but that was it. I couldn't even attempt to dig anything on the small strip of lawn on east side of the house as the detector never stopped beeping the entire length - approx. 15' x 50'

Keep us up to date on future outings
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old home sites are usually very trashy, they need to be gone over many times to remove the nails, etc. Most will yield a few old coppers and the occasional silver once the junk is removed. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, one thing that can help. Buy one of those new, rare earth magnets (neodymium), large, and drag the ground... it will remove a tremendous amount of iron and speed up the hunt. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea, Ricko! The Ace 250 was going: "Iron, iron iron!" all over the place.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.