Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is the correct +/- on the weight of a Silver Panda?

OK, 1 oz = 31.1 grams.

What is the acceptable tollerance on a 1 oz Silver Panda?

I bought a Key Date Panda on eBay and want to weigh it to help determine if it is legit?

I weighed a 1997 1 oz Panda and it weighs 31.1 grams. I am sure it is OK as it was once in a PCGS slab.

I have a Philharmoniker 1 oz Silver that weighs 31.5 grams, it was also in a PCGS slab.

The coin in question weighs 30.7 grams so it seems to be OK to me?

In oz mode on the scale they weigh 1.1, 1.1 and 1.08 oz.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    The 28.3495 grams/oz. is the avoirdupois system which is not used for gold, silver and the like.

Precious metals (PM) use the troy system, i.e. 12 troy oz. = 1 lb. 1 troy ounce is equal to 31.1035 grams.

The Pandas come in different weights/sizes, but the 10 yuan standardized about 1989 at .999 fine, and 1 troy (31.1035 grs.)

What year is the key date coin which weighs 30.7 grams (that's a variance of ~ -1.396%)? Frankly, it seems a tad light (I would expect something closer to +/- 0.4%).

Have a pic? I'm no Panda expert but there are several people that collect them around here.
  • Options
    I dont know the tolerances, but Mac is correct. 1 troy oz= 31.103 grams. I suspect that 30.7g is acceptable and would not raise any red flags for me. I'd chalk it up to just an underweight planchet rather than a counterfeit coin. As long as the diameter/thickness is correct.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the coin:

It looks OK to me but I got it cheap so that is one reason that makes me wonder.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Bullion coins (even Chinese) should be made to pretty exacting standards. I would consider .4 grammes shy to be out of tolerance for the issue.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Thats a $100 coin Grand Am. What did you pick it up for?
  • Options
    Well, they normally sell for much more but I paid $80 shipped.

It is a mirror obverse, not frosted.

The diameter and thickness is correct. I have several raw 1 oz pandas somewhere. I will weigh them and see how much they vary.

The coin itself looks good. The spots on the obverse are from my scanner. The coin itself is flawless. image

• Options

<< <i>Well, they normally sell for much more but I paid $80 shipped.

It is a mirror obverse, not frosted.

The diameter and thickness is correct. I have several raw 1 oz pandas somewhere. I will weigh them and see how much they vary.

The coin itself looks good. The spots on the obverse are from my scanner. The coin itself is flawless. image >>

Correct!!!! That IS a mirrored ring obverse, and quite a hot variety. The coin is valued at between $220 and $350. Very nice aquisition, I feel the coin is legit. You were probably going to have it slabbed anyway, so let us know what PCGS says.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    with a modern issue I would allow any variance! that's just me and I dont know the series.
    slab it.
  • Options
    I have one of these myself. It weighs exactly 31.1g on its own, bought from a seller from Netherlands for £71 shipped. Someone sent a some photos of a similar coin to my friend who forwarded to me. He mentioned that the coin weighed 30.9g, 40mm. I didn't get to ask about its thickness but I was told when he scraped the sides, he could see copper ... This is how the coin looks like: imageimage
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too would think that 30.7g is seriously underweight for a precious metal issue. A mint doing this consistently would be seriously cheating its customers.

I hope the OP gets it encapsulated and posts the result here.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I just weighed (10) 1 ounce silver Pandas from different years and they all came in at 31.1 grams.

30.7 grams seems seriously underweight IMHO.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options

<< <i>I hope the OP gets it encapsulated and posts the result here. >>

I haven't sent the coin in yet but I will LYK the results when I do. I am beginning to have some doubt since the Year 2000 Mirror version has recently popped up all over eBay from China sellers with $0.99 start with $20 shipping and many sell for $0.99.

I really think someone in China got the genuine dies, the coins look tht good, and are doing restrikes but not sure if they are silver plated or not? image Visually I can see nothing wrong with the coin.

THANKS for all the help and info, GrandAm image
  • Options
    30.7g is absolutely counterfeit. Don't send it in for grading, send it back. I have never gotten anything other than 31.10g for silver pandas on my 0.01g scale.
  • Options
    They are real image

I went 3 for 3 PCGS MS69 Year 2000 Silver Panda with Mirror Obverse image

GrandAm image
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They are real image

I went 3 for 3 PCGS MS69 Year 2000 Silver Panda with Mirror Obverse image

GrandAm image >>

Cha-Ching! image You suck!
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear they are real and came back 69s!

Maybe it's time to calibrate your scale? image
  • Options

<< <i>Glad to hear they are real and came back 69s!

Maybe it's time to calibrate your scale? image >>

His scale is fine as he weighed 2 other silver bullion coins that were 31.1 and 31.5 grams. The coin in question weighed 30.7 grams. That is about 1% lighter than what its supposed to weigh. This was probably due to an underweight planchet. As I said in my 1st post, this would NOT raise any flags for me. Its all about specific gravity with precious metals. Since the SG of silver is 10.5, and the SG of copper is around 8.5, I had to rule out copper as being the base metal. If the base metal WAS copper, the coin would weigh around 25-26 grams. But we are talking a mere 0.4 grams out of tolerance, or about 1% light. I seriously doubt that any counterfeiters would go through the trouble to create virtually PERFECT dies and then drop the ball on the weight. This is why I thought the coin was legit from the day the OP made this post. Nice score GrandAm!
  • Options
    Here are the major highlights of the same submission:

GrandAm image
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Nice 2004 Construction Bank Commem.

It ranks up there with the 2006 Anniv Jinan City Commercial Bank in terms of hard to find.

Low mintages on Both.

The 2004 Construction Bank is undervalued imo
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    GrandAm,

You da Panda slab king! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>GrandAm,

You da Panda slab king! image >>

THANKS!!! image

When I started collecting Panda's there were very few being sold on eBay in PCGS holders so,,,,,,

I had to make my own which I have done. image

GrandAm image
  • Options
    The POPS on The Year 2000 Mirror Panda in PCGS MS69 is 10/0.

I have "MADE" 8 of the 10 pcs. I have sold (2) coins before this photo image

GrandAm image
  • Options

<< <i>The POPS on The Year 2000 Mirror Panda in PCGS MS69 is 10/0.

I have "MADE" 8 of the 10 pcs. I have sold (2) coins before this photo image

GrandAm image >>

Good source of capital for your need list. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver 31.105 Grams 40 mm 10 Yuan
    Silver 31.105 Grams 40 mm

j
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options

<< <i>1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver 31.105 Grams 40 mm 10 Yuan
    Silver 31.105 Grams 40 mm

j
    image >>

So? Do me a favor. Go make a few million of ANYTHING, and make every single one of them absolutely perfect and identical with zero tolerances. Let me know how that turns out for ya.image
  • Options
    difference is the chinese - they are amazing they can work to zero tollerence

br
    j
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass