Home Metal Detecting
Options

Question for all the MDers here

How many months of the year do you metal detect? Does a frosty area make it hard for your detector to pick things up?

Comments

• Options
    living in california enables me to go out almost every day of the year.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    here in the sticks of New Hampshire, I have from April to November sometime.

The detector still signals for items when the ground is frozen... it's just very difficult to dig, and especially not damage what you're looking for.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As many as I can. When the ground is frozen it becomes a real bummer. The winter months can be a great detecting time if it isn't frozen because nobody is in the parks and the grass is low.
  • Options
    I live in southeast Georgia...If you can stand the heat, you can hunt year round...the winters are nothing.
  • Options
    In between golf tournaments I'll go whenever the ground isn't frozen or too muddy; that means March through December or so in Missouri. I made the mistake a coupla years ago of going too early in the spring/late winter. The ground was frozen solid but I still went detecting and made notes of any finds to dig and went back about a month later. I don't know if the detector picks up targets better with frozen turf or not--didn't seem to hurt though.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    April-November.... and some in December/January when I visit my daughter in NC. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    As long as the grounds not frozen.
  • Options
    Here in Nova Scotia, Canada you can probaly do it from April to The start of November because after that your over your knees in snow so it hard to dig!! LOL But it is still hard in April and in October/November because it getts cold and th ground is usally frozen then! I just went out yesterday and only found some nails and beer caps!!