Home Sports Talk
Options

Brett Favre

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
The guy still has a howitzer for an arm!

He is slinging it tonight!

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    true, true. Still hate him.
  • Options
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Gotta admit he's doing the job, but let's not idolize someone for having 7-8 seconds to throw the football.... or is St. Brett so great that he wills his O-line to become supermen?

I am so sick of this guy's drama and narcissism. In love with the media attention, in love with the streak... and it's sad because I really liked him until the last couple of years.
  • Options
    I'd take him over Tony Romo even at 39 image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd take him over Tony Romo even at 39 image >>

THAT, is a NO brainer!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd take him over Tony Romo even at 39 image >>

THAT, is a NO brainer! >>

I agree.

Sometimes I think Romo doesn't have a brain with some of those throws he makes image
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I think John Gruden is having an affair with him? Listening to him talk about him is making me sick to my stomach!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy is a great QB. Why shouldn't Gruden talk about him.

I'd trade Tony for him also......in a heartbeat!!!!!!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farve is a stud. He's better now than when he was 29. AMAZING!

Superbowl?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuse me, didn't Favre last win a Superbowl like in January, 1997 after the 2006 regular season (13 regular seasons ago, when he was like 26 or 27 years old)?

I mean, come on, he is a has been [and but for his Superbowl victory in 1997 he would be a never was, since the ONLY measuring stick for a QB is "did he win a Superbowl?"]

He has been a has been for the past 13 years.

If a QB can't win a Superbowl in 13 years, he should not be idolized, should not be diefied and should not be sucked up to.

The only QB's worthy of praise and adulation are those who have won a recent [like last January] Superbowl.

Any QB who did not win the most recent Superbowl is passe and like so "Twenty Minutes Ago"image

• Options

<< <i>Gotta admit he's doing the job, but let's not idolize someone for having 7-8 seconds to throw the football.... or is St. Brett so great that he wills his O-line to become supermen?

I am so sick of this guy's drama and narcissism. In love with the media attention, in love with the streak... and it's sad because I really liked him until the last couple of years. >>

You apparently do not watch Viking football. Brett Favre NEVER had more than a 3 step drop so far this season. One play and you make this assumption. Log off and stay off sports talk.

Epic game. Check my past posts, never said aRodg wasnt a great Qb. But if you STILL wanna make comments about 4 after this game, you need to ST FFFFFFFFF Up, cause you do NOT get it.

This was my Superbowl. If we can ever stop the pass, we will be complete.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    If you cant stand the way Gruden talks about him...watch the NFL channel and listen to Mooch...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Guys like Gruden, Mooch, Madden, Jaws, etc, talk about Brett Favre like they do, because they understand the game of football. Criticizing them for that simply proves that you don't get it.

Period.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>If you cant stand the way Gruden talks about him...watch the NFL channel and listen to Mooch... >>

Sounds like a younger version of Madden!
  • Options

We won't have to worry about the #1 Favre Fanboy Madden anymore.

His testicles exploded last night.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    a good game by the old man. sorry to see my team lose. aaron still has some things to learn, like getting rid of the ball everyonce in awhile. that dropped pass in the endzone was a killer.

i was surprised that AP couldnt take it to the Pack. Maybe that was the Vikings game plan.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you cant stand the way Gruden talks about him...watch the NFL channel and listen to Mooch... >>

I get Football but his constant reminding us of how great of a pick up and this is what Favre brings and
    he is amazing and he is the best thing in Minn. and blah blah..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is Minnesota's year. A decent QB was the last piece. Unless the Patroits make it to SB 44, I will be pulling for the Vikes.

And whether you like Brett or not, the League is more exciting with him playing! Let him play until he is 50 if he wants to -- George Blanda did! image
  • Options
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys like Gruden, Mooch, Madden, Jaws, etc, talk about Brett Favre like they do, because they understand the game of football. Criticizing them for that simply proves that you don't get it.

Period. >>

I understand your point but totally disagree. Don't get me wrong, thought it was great to see Favre perform so well last night. Subplots of GB, breast cancer awareness, and previous stinkers at MIN. Sure, the pre-coverage did get a little overwhelming but at the end, it was a fun game from an impartial observer.

Having said that, the booth comments did become nausiating. Had Favre pulled a Jim Brown and suddenly retired, took a year off, and then came back? Sure, I could understant the excitement. It's not like he ever left the NFL, ya know?

Or perhaps last year in NY is nothing more than a figment of our imagination.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is Minnesota's year. A decent QB was the last piece. Unless the Patroits make it to SB 44, I will be pulling for the Vikes.

And whether you like Brett or not, the League is more exciting with him playing! Let him play until he is 50 if he wants to -- George Blanda did! image >>

I have to agree, he does make the games more interesting.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Where are all the Favre haters to step in and say how he isn't one of the greatest QB's ever?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are all the Favre haters to step in and say how he isn't one of the greatest QB's ever? >>

Personally I dont think he is one of the "Greatest QB's ever" Sure he has the stats, longevity ect.. but would you take him with the game on the line with one drive left for a TD? Putting these QB's on a even playing field as far as supporting offensive talent I would chose Montana, Manning, Young and Brady over him.

Im not a Favre hater at all although I do believe he tarnished his image over the past several years with all this retirement/unretirement crap.
  • Options
    Perkdog I always thought you had your head screwed on straight before that comment. Are you kidding me! Yes I'd take Brett Favre in that situation.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that Favre is most definitely one of the best QBs ever, without question, and he is still better than most QBs in the league even at age 39. His retirement act has gotten annoying, true, but in a sport where so many players make headlines for a variety of felonious offenses in any given week, Favre's indulgences are really minor, IMO...Has anyone seen the Sears commercial where he's buying a TV set and the salesman in the store starts talking about how most people can't make up their mind about purchasing a set, they go back and forth, etc, and Favre says "yeah, those guys drive me crazy." LOL, that is hilarious..

Edit: Regarding perk's list of all-time great QBs above...I'd agree that Montana and Manning are better over the course of their careers, but would definitely not put Young ahead of Favre all-time, and Brady, while a HOFer himself, doesn't have the career numbers to outpace Favre all-time, IMO...as for late game comebacks, Favre certainly has been involved in his share, and though he may not be quite as good as he was in 1999, on a good football team he can get the job done, without a doubt, as the Sunday before last's last second win showed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Favre is a great quarterback, and yes he is having a great season...so far...and that is the key point..."so far" because it's quite early yet. Frankly, I doubt very much that his "greatness" will last the whole season...as the season wears on and he gets tired, worn out, or possibly injured...as older players almost always tend to do...and if he continues to have a great season and wins the Super Bowl, my hats off to him.
  • Options
    I'm just so ~bleedin~ sick of all the talk about him.

Yeah, he's good. Enough
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Edit: Regarding perk's list of all-time great QBs above...I'd agree that Montana and Manning are better over the course of their careers, but would definitely not put Young ahead of Favre all-time, and Brady, while a HOFer himself, doesn't have the career numbers to outpace Favre all-time, IMO...as for late game comebacks, Favre certainly has been involved in his share, and though he may not be quite as good as he was in 1999, on a good football team he can get the job done, without a doubt, as the Sunday before last's last second win showed. <<<

You guys left out one of the best QB's EVER......Troy A.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>Im not a Favre hater at all although I do believe he tarnished his image over the past several years with all this retirement/unretirement crap. >>

Has Junior Seau tarnished his image as well? I mean, the guy signed a 1 day contract with the Chargers back in 2006 so he could retire as a Charger. They had a press conference where he announced his retirement and then the team threw him a huge retirement party. 4 days later he came out of retirement and signed with the Patriots. He retired again after last season, only to come out of retirement and resign with the Patriots this week.

Where's the outrage? Where's the tarnished image?
  • Options
    < Im not a Favre hater at all although I do believe he tarnished his image over the past several years with all this retirement/unretirement crap. >>

Has Junior Seau tarnished his image as well? I mean, the guy signed a 1 day contract with the Chargers back in 2006 so he could retire as a Charger. They had a press conference where he announced his retirement and then the team threw him a huge retirement party. 4 days later he came out of retirement and signed with the Patriots. He retired again after last season, only to come out of retirement and resign with the Patriots this week.

Where's the outrage? Where's the tarnished image?

Good question...Seau is not as high profile as Favre, but still...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
  • Options
    Where are all those posters who were saying Favre was washed up??

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I've watched every play, and he looks darn good! Impressive!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i>Where are all those posters who were saying Favre was washed up?? >>

I didn't see a lot of people say he was washed up. I've seen plenty of people saying they are sick of him and his drama, though, and how much the sports media are fawning all over him. I half suspect to read that Favre was the reason the potential game-winning FG was missed by their opponents.

Dude can still do it -- I'm just thoroughly sick of him and his stupid streak-worship at this point. Lets see if he gets hurt and ruins Minny's season by refusing to sit out and break the streak -- like he did to the Jets last year.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major stud. No debate.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Man... that game was the proverbial emotional roller coaster. The Favre/Rice tandem is growing stronger every game.

And I've never seen a team start to play conservatively in the first quarter. Childress loves to run down the clock, but trying to run down three plus quarters is a bit much...
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    I didn't see a lot of people say he was washed up.

Are you kidding? You must not have been on this board late last season then...people were even arguing that Favre was not one of the all-time great QBs in NFL history...the guy is still better in 2009 than the vast majority of QBs in the league.

As for the retire-not retire saga: why does it bother everyone so much? I doubt there are many Minny fans at this point that care that he took his time to decide this offseasin.

• Options

<< <i>Are you kidding? You must not have been on this board late last season then...people were even arguing that Favre was not one of the all-time great QBs in NFL history...the guy is still better in 2009 than the majority of QBs in the league. >>

I don't see that as the same thing as saying he is "washed up."
  • Options
    << Are you kidding? You must not have been on this board late last season then...people were even arguing that Favre was not one of the all-time great QBs in NFL history...the guy is still better in 2009 than the majority of QBs in the league. >>

I don't see that as the same thing as saying he is "washed up."

The consensus was that he is overrated, past his prime, too old to play at a high level, throws too many picks, etc, etc. I equate that with basically saying the guy is finished..

• Options
    Did anyone see the laser beam he threw that almost impaled Vishante Shiancoe?

Shiancoe dropped it but then again, I don't think he had much of a choice image
  • Options
    Favre is still phenominal, Im a believer.

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    its funny to hear all of this now. most of you were on the over the hill camp 4 years ago, 3 years ago, maybe 2 years ago and last year as well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>its funny to hear all of this now. most of you were on the over the hill camp 4 years ago, 3 years ago, maybe 2 years ago and last year as well. >>

Yup I was one of those guys image
  • Options

<< <i>its funny to hear all of this now. most of you were on the over the hill camp 4 years ago, 3 years ago, maybe 2 years ago and last year as well. >>

BOOO........Bitter Packer fan!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is amazing - he musta discovered some wonder drug or the fountain of youth.
  • Options
    imageBrett Favre

• Options

I can't understand why Favre let the Cardinals win yesterday.

Why would he just allow them to win. I don't get it. image
  • Options
    Can't win em all, the Cardinals played pretty much flawless. Losing EJ is bad, but Jasper Brinkley has potential...
    Am I speaking Chinese?