Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need help

I need someone with a vast amount of knowledge in modern US coinage. I have some questions regarding a collection that has been offerd to me but it includes roughly 40 or so modern slabbed coins. I know nothing about modern coinage whatsoever so I was hoping someone could PM me and we could discuss these coins if possible.

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Could you please list some of the moderns you are inquiring about?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may not be likely that a single person can answer all of your questions, so perhaps you should list the questions in the thread for the board to read and help.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the CoT old fogeys who posted above me....
    Some have a general modern knowledge and some have very great, explicit, modern knowledge for some series.....so, if you broke down what denoms you are talking about (ie...Ikes/Sacs/Wash Quarters/Lincolns/etc), that could help.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    How modern? What series?

Kennedy's - Russ
    Franklins - Lucy
    Ike's - 19lyds or Segoja
    Washies - Tom or Boom
    Roosies - Check the registry forum
    Jefferson's - ???
    Lincoln's - Stewart
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trouble with most modern coins is that they have be very high grade to be worth very much money. Even a PR-69 D-Cam is a cull of sorts to many collectors. Beyond that if the coins have been given a high grade it takes an expert eye and personal examination to really determine if the grade is correct. Photos usually don't cut it.

Sorry to be so negative, but this is an area where small differences can make huge differences in price. And if they are among "the chosen," you need to find a dealer who can market them. Not all dealers are into the modern coin market.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How modern?

Kennedy's - Russ
    Franklins - Lucy
    Ike's - 19lyds or Segoja
    Washies - Tom or Boom
    Jefferson's - ???
    Lincoln's - Stewart >>

Or, I will bash them all indiscriminately in one tidy PM. image

When he mentioned moderns, I was thinking clad and/or NCLT all the way. Moderns are way too broad an area to consider one person to be expert in all.

I would slot Keets into the Jefferson hole, BTW.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How modern?

Kennedy's - Russ
    Franklins - Lucy
    Ike's - 19lyds or Segoja
    Washies - Tom or Boom
    Jefferson's - ???
    Lincoln's - Stewart >>

Or, I will bash them all indiscriminately in one tidy PM. image

When he mentioned moderns, I was thinking clad and/or NCLT all the way. Moderns are way too broad an area to consider one person to be expert in all.

I would slot Keets into the Jefferson hole, BTW. >>

lol @ PM comment. image

How could I forget Al and his love affair with Jefferson? image

Clad would be a great resource for the more modern stuff in just about all series -- good point!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your best bet for pricing is likely from Teletrade completed auctions. And Ebay (maybe).

That's the extent of my modern expertise. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file