Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The coolest thing about colonials...

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is?

(Yes, I got the idea from Billet7. image )

Comments

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    The C4 group (Colonial Coin Collectors Club) is one of the best in the hobby.

• Options
    because of there somewhat crude nature... and age... there can be quite a difference in look from one coin to another within a series. This gives a certain uniqueness to each coin and makes each one that much more special... that's how i see it anyways.

oh... and of course historically speaking... just rich with surprising and entertaining subjects.

but the short answer would be...

they are just... "cool" image

-sm
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wondering which of our founding fathers may have held that particular one.....
    (this is one coin that I wouldn't mind with a fingerprint showing)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    They were the coins of our country before our country was a country.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>wondering which of our founding fathers may have held that particular one.....
    (this is one coin that I wouldn't mind with a fingerprint showing) >>

That is a good point!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The often crude die work, and the interesting stories about some of the colorful characters who made them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ,,, are the neat shoes, knee high stockings and britches they wore. You can keep the wig; too hot.image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... is that I snagged one (a Pine Tree shilling) in an auction once and if I recall correctly it was the first lot in the catalog. I admire those who have the patience to collect these, but it is a little bit like ancients, you have to rely on a lot of intrinsic things that go beyond the grade on a slab.
  • Options
    The fact that many of them are really, really rare.
  • Options

<< <i>They were the coins of our country before our country was a country. >>

+1
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wide variety of designs, sizes, dates, origins, and metal compositions.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some, such as the Cont. Dollar, were made just as our nation was founded and designed by those who founded it. Fantastic coins!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...is that they did their jobs well. We're still free to collect them.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    If you strive for eye appeal...any set you put together will easily fit in a box of 20 (or in just a couple of slots for that matter.)

That one's for you MidLifeCrisis. image

Seriously, I think colonials are some of the coolest coins out there, especially if you go for the cream-of-the-crop. I used to collect washingtons, I even had a rarer one, the draped bust with button. I think there are only like 50 certified...problem is, there are less than 50 collectors, so few people care how rare they are. I don't actively collect coloninals anymore because my budget can't support it. So I live vicariosly through those that do. Love that myddelton by the way (I think I have said that a few times before!)
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No 13 Colonies quarter program!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a wide variety of designs which make the more interesting than a series of moderns where every coin esentially have the same design. The one disadvantage is they are difficult to value. It's not like they can be looked up in the grey sheets.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>wondering which of our founding fathers may have held that particular one.....
    (this is one coin that I wouldn't mind with a fingerprint showing) >>

Very interesting.
  • Options
    That you can touch a piece of history and learn about the coins and history at the same time. The other thing that is cool is that you can have some really crappy colonial coins and other colonial collectors will "ooohh and ahhh" over them. That doesn't happen in a lot of series.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... is that they have managed to retain the "colonial" designation even though most were struck during the early statehood period.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could buy something with a halfpenny in those days,
    what, I don't know.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They show so much history. The things that were important to the people of the time. My favorite is the New Jersey with the Horse head and the plow.image
  • Options
    My other thread listing what's bad about colonials has more answers than this one. That just aint right.

• Options
    i think you just need an image is all image

-sm
  • Options
    SpaceMonkey - Nice! image

Is that new?
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They come in all sizes.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bidask - Sweet!

Yup...these pics are just what this thread needed.
  • Options

<< <i>SpaceMonkey - Nice! image

Is that new? >>

"recent" image

-sm
  • Options

<< <i>They come in all sizes. >>

yes they do.... and in all colors image

-sm
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They come in all sizes. >>

yes they do.... and in all colors image >>

They even come in chocolate!

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once had one of those 1652 Pine tree shillings but lost it as a lad, 10-12 years old. Thought my mom had threw it out. But years later after we sold the farm house, the new owners asked if we had misplaced any coins. They had the insulation replaced in the attic and found a coin. As a lad, I used to climb up in that cubby hole and store stuff and I believe that's where that coin ended up. Slid it in between some insulation and a 2x6 to hide it from whoever. To this day, I have yet to claim that coin, if they still have it. The people do still live there. But I was told the coin was a duplicate when I traded a lunch token for it from another kid. He was robbing from his dad's coin collection. It may have been 6th or 7th grade. I believe it was made of copper and the real ones are made of silver but I could be wrong. These people said it was worth $35,000. I don't know who told them that. At least that's what my mother told me but I have never went back out there to see what all the fuss was about. I've always figured it was their good luck and my bad, if it was ever worth anything to begin with.

But I like the old coins but no Colonials yet.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>Once had one of those 1652 Pine tree shillings but lost it as a lad, 10-12 years old. Thought my mom had threw it out. But years later after we sold the farm house, the new owners asked if we had misplaced any coins. They had the insulation replaced in the attic and found a coin. As a lad, I used to climb up in that cubby hole and store stuff and I believe that's where that coin ended up. Slid it in between some insulation and a 2x6 to hide it from whoever. To this day, I have yet to claim that coin, if they still have it. The people do still live there. But I was told the coin was a duplicate when I traded a lunch token for it from another kid. He was robbing from his dad's coin collection. It may have been 6th or 7th grade. I believe it was made of copper and the real ones are made of silver but I could be wrong. These people said it was worth $35,000. I don't know who told them that. At least that's what my mother told me but I have never went back out there to see what all the fuss was about. I've always figured it was their good luck and my bad, if it was ever worth anything to begin with. >>

This is an amazing story. If you never recover it, then I hope it was just a replica. If you do eventually get it back, I hope it's the real thing!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These people said it was worth $35,000. >>

I guess that's not impossible, but it is not the way to bet.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No 13 Colonies quarter program!

image >>

Nicely played.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oldest Pre U.S. coint that is from America, who could ask for more. >>

The NE shilling was the earliest pre U.S. coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file