Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nickel Types

drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
I've recently started a Registry nickel type set. I'm wondering why the War nickels are included as a type, but not all four of the Westward Journey nickels?

Comments

• Options
    Probably because of the seemingly common opinion that modern issues aren't very important.

I collect by type and I define my type set by my own rules. My type set includes the all of the modern issues.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW your platinum $10 set is incredible! image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with all of these modern type coins is that there are too many of them. For example the State Quarters + the territories would increase the size of the U.S. type set by 50%. Those nickels, while not as numerous, would also add to the totals. And how can you exclude the State Quarters but include the nickels?

I participate in the NGC registry, and my type set is 99% complete (I need one more coin) for the copper, copper-nickel and silver type coins. My gold set from 1795 to 1933 is within 2 coins of completion. If the addition of the modern issues was required for my copper through silver type set, I'd say to heck with it. I have all of those type coins because I collect modern Proof sets, but I have no desire to spend well over $1,000 on a bunch of certified modern type coins. I just don't want them all in slabs. The Proof sets are good enough for me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>WOW your platinum $10 set is incredible! image >>

Thanks ambro51. That's nice to hear from a guy with such an impressive gold dollar collection. However, my plats are just modern crap! image
  • Options
    Bill- That makes sense...hadn't looked at it from a quarter perspective. And, it appears the modern quarter type set is only going to get MUCH bigger!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file