Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Latest B&M finds 1961 Washie Type B and a toned set of war nickels***new images at bottom***

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked up a few inexpensive year sets and nice toned war nickel set.

Hit horrendous traffic on they way home but maybe it was worth itimage

How much is a 1961 Type B Washie worth nowadaysimage
I think its a type B reverseimage

most look like this but will get better images later

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a B to Lee!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Yep Type B
    Those Wartimers are cool!
    And toned image
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    According to the Cherrypickers guide there is a $95 premium over a run in the mill 1961.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, Stefanie! Me likey. image
  • Options
    Hi steph,

was nice meeting you at L.B.

I always wondered what makes a quarter a "typeB"???
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options

<< <i>Hi steph,

was nice meeting you at L.B.

I always wondered what makes a quarter a "typeB"??? >>

It was nice meeting you as wellimage

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Easy way to tell,

Look at the Eagles breast, Type B has slightly larger breasts than Type As............wait till you guys find the rare Type G imageimageimageimage j/k j/k
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    Nice color on those nickels If I remember right some of the first images you took with your brand new dynolite were warnickels also...
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    nice coins

I love those old Capital holders with cardboard inserts
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the nickels image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Nice color on those nickels If I remember right some of the first images you took with your brand new dynolite were warnickels also... >>

Yes, you are rightimage

I am taking some images and will put them together, they look pretty dang nice and It looks
    like the 1942-P, 1943-P and the 1943 all have full stepsimage
  • Options
    <<I always wondered what makes a quarter a "typeB"???>>

"B's were first used on proofs in 1937 and last used on proofs in 1968S. A few circulation strike B's were also made 1956-1964 and 1969D-1972D.

Here is a table I copied from a previous post which was how to tell an "A" from a "B" (silver). It also works for telling a "B" from a "C" (clads).
    It is harder to tell a "C" from an "A". The "C" has centerlines in relief on the tailfeathers. There are other differences. Incidently clad "B" has those centerlines while the silver "B' doesn't. The descriptions below are for a "B".

The ES separation in STATES is greater
    The top of the M of UNUM brackets IB of PLURIBUS just above it.
    The leaf touching the arrowhead points now juts above them and the gap to the arrowoints is filled in.
    The top and bottom arrowhead barbs are apparently missing (they are still there but overwhelmed by the field deeping there)
    The stem end is parallel to the T of Quarter rather than angleing upward
    The leaf by A of DOLLAR is connected by a solid bridge. The leaf on "A" is very faint and does not connect. "C" is stronger than "A", but still no comparison with "B".

There are more differences, but I think I hit most of the major ones.

The eagle's breast is the same on "A" and "B" but lower relief on a "C."

I think i can find another thread with pictures if anybody wants it.

edit - minor spelling error
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a table I copied from a previous post which was how to tell an "A" from a "B" (silver). It also works for telling a "B" from a "C" (clads).
    It is harder to tell a "C" from an "A". The "C" has centerlines in relief on the tailfeathers. There are other differences. Incidently clad "B" has those centerlines while the silver "B' doesn't. The descriptions below are for a "B".

The leaf touching the arrowhead points now juts above them and the gap to the arrowoiints is filled in.
    The top and bottom arrowhead barbs are apparently missing (they are still there but overwhelmed by the field deeping there)
    The leaf by A of DOLLAR is connected by a solid bridge. The leaf on "A" is very faint and does not connect. "C" is stronger than "A", but still no comparison with "B".

The eagle's breast is the same on "A" and "B" but lower relief on a "C." >>

That's cool, I thought to just look for the larger separation between the ESimage

So, is it worth grading?
    What is the value?
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Good looking set of War Nickels Steph!
    ED
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick ups.

On the war nickels, look for the 1943/2 variety (I think on the Philly or Denver coin) and look for the 1945P double die reverse variety. Both varieties are popular and fairly easy to pick out. Look in the Cherrypickers Guide for pictures of these two varieties.

I got very lucky and have found two 1945P DDR nickels and have found one 1943/2. The 1943/2 was part of a bulk lot I picked up many years ago. It is a Mint State example (though the reverse has some streaks on it that detract from the coin). One of the 1945P DDR nickels is circulated (VF to EF) that was in my childhood collection of war nickels that I pulled from pocket change. The other 1945P DDR is a Mint State example that was in a Whitman album of MS nickels from 1938-1961 that I bought at a local B&M for about $100.00. The 1945P DDR nickel alone is worth more than I spent for the entire album (and some of the other MS nickels are to die for).
  • Options

<< <i><<I always wondered what makes a quarter a "typeB"???>>

"B's were first used on proofs in 1937 and last used on proofs in 1968S. A few circulation strike B's were also made 1956-1964 and 1969D-1972D.

Here is a table I copied from a previous post which was how to tell an "A" from a "B" (silver). It also works for telling a "B" from a "C" (clads).

The leaf touching the arrowhead points now juts above them and the gap to the arrowoints is filled in.

yes , please post pics

thanx

The eagle's breast is the same on "A" and "B" but lower relief on a "C."

I think i can find another thread with pictures if anybody wants it.

edit - minor spelling error >>

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options

<< <i>That's cool, I thought to just look for the larger separation between the ESimage

So, is it worth grading?
    What is the value? >>

It's pretty, but most likely only a MS63 at best. Not worth grading. At least not to me.
  • Options
    The following thread starts off with some excellent pictures of five toned 1957 type B's.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&amp;threadid=649779&amp;highlight_key=y&amp;keyword1=type b

There is also a picture of a type A further on in the thread, but it is not as detailed.

I believe that the type B artwork was created by the mint taking a hub (which matches the coin) and sharpening up the details by digging away at the field. These look high relief but it is from lowering the field. With time and toning, the sharp outlines will pick up a little tarnish giving a black outline effect. The toned cards here really look like high relief. On a blast white type B, you might not even notice it unless you were specifically looking for it.
  • Options
    Here is a link to a photo of a circulated 1970 D clad type B versus three other varieties of the same year/mint.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=627990&highlight_key=y&keyword1=1970

THe B's realy look so obvious under magnification.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Had to go check the Pop Reports.

Totals are up only by 11 coins since 8/30/2009.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file