Home Precious Metals

Cornering the Silver Market?

I really enjoy reading the posts on the PM Forum and I would like to put forward a couple of questions.

What would it take to corner the silver market? $10 or $20 billion? Supply is low and the market is so thinly traded. I also suspect that the COMEX only has a limited supply of silver should investors demand delivery.

One of the main reasons the Hunt Brothers failed was because they were highly leveraged and could not meet the margin calls. It seems investors and not just US investors could take advantage of the relative scarcity of silver and force all the paper shorts to cover.

My second question; what would happen if enough large investors either collectively or independently forced massive short covering? Would the major short holders (banks) go under and would our government allow that to happen?

The government changed the rules on the Hunts but I think it would be harder to change the rules if a foreign group of investors or country (think China or some Middle Eastern Country(s) wanted to do harm to the US or were simply motivated by the potential of a huge payday or the power it would create by owning a good percentage of a key metal.
American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Comments

• The only way it would work is if it was bought very quickly, and physical possesion was immediate. IMO those 2 things cannot coexist. If you had 10 billion cash right now, how would you buy 10 billion worth of physical....NOT PAPER CONTRACT....metal before the prices started to run up quickly?
  • what is your definition of cornering the market?

price manipulation can occur with less

DeBoers have cornered the diamond market

OPEC has manipulated the oil market

Cargill has manipulated the corn market (controlling 120% in 1946)

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I've been working on it with bing cashback....
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me thinks it is happening right now.image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been working on it with bing cashback.... >>

image You must have opened a second ebay account

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar