Home Precious Metals
Options

Tracking my 90 % Holdings

I have a notebook where I record my purchases. As the amount and number of purchases increase I would like to automate this task. I realize that I could use Excel to write my own program, but is there any software ( freeware image) that I could use?

Dan

PS: I did use the search function first!
The glass is half full!

Comments

• Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Use "Calc" from Google's OpenOffice, it's free.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a notebook where I record my purchases. As the amount and number of purchases increase I would like to automate this task. I realize that I could use Excel to write my own program, but is there any software ( freeware image) that I could use?

Dan

PS: I did use the search function first! >>

Geeezus, I wish I had your "problems"! When I can no longer track, with pen and paper, my precious metal purchases, that would mean im either senile or ridiculously wealthy.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Excel, all you need is a single spreadsheet. You can add or expand columns to accomodate just about any information that you might need.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you know how to use it, Excel is your best bet

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use excel.

It's not that I have a ton, it's just a question of expediency. When I make a purchase, I make a short entry. Takes all of 30 seconds.

Set up a sum at the bottom of the "net weight" field, drop in spot price for whatever metal, use a simple * equation for total net weight and spot price, and you know what you're "worth" at any time.

Here are my headers:
    Type Source Details Paid Date Net Weight Spot price
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I had no idea how much I had accumulated over the years until I weighed it all up on a scale. I was surprised that I had so much 90%.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should add that I keep all purchases (90%, .999, sterling) in my excel file. Hence the net weight column. That's the ASW for each line item. That way I know what I've got weight wise, regardless of form.

The "details" column is for a quick description, including serial numbers and slab numbers (I have a similar file for numismatic material).

It's a snap to email a copy to myself at an off-site server (hotmail, yahoo, whatever) periodically when I buy stuff and update the file. That way if some ever went missing for any reason, I've got something to show the good guys, insurance agents, etc.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    If you are a member of the forum GoldisMoney.info there is a freeware program where you can track your 90% and even PMs in general. It is great because you can also add your purchase cost. The program is called Money Trader

If anyone cares to use it, its a great program...Link to program