Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What should I do?

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bid $100 on the following auction. No one else bid, so the reserve was not met. I emailed the seller and asked what they would take for the coin. $120 shipped was his answer. I need the coin for my set, but it does have problems as noted on the certificate.

Large Cent
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    link is not working for me.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    There's gotta be at least one more large cent in the world that has an ANACS certificate and is problem-free. I say wait for that one to come around.

Problem coins always turn into burdens IMO.
  • Options
    There was one last week that I came across. It had an Anacs MS65/65 certificate, 1820. It was also in a PCGS MS63RB holder. It sold for $880. I had a snipe in for $700 about 2 months ago on the same coin. The seller pulled the auction and sent it to PCGS.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd hold off and get another.
  • Options
    The other option, is to buy this piece, and then look for a better piece and sell this, knowing I will probably not get my money out of it.
  • Options
    if your max bid was $100 would you mind paying 20 more? pass if it don`t feel right. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The other option, is to buy this piece, and then look for a better piece and sell this, knowing I will probably not get my money out of it. >>

Knowing your collecting strategy, I would be inclined to stretch a bit for it. I would, however, ask the seller to give you a 3 day return privilege if you do not like the coin.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    too much.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask them to relist it with a $100 BIN.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's gotta be at least one more large cent in the world that has an ANACS certificate and is problem-free. I say wait for that one to come around.

Problem coins always turn into burdens IMO. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I would hold off and wait. You willl find what you need.
  • Options
    really 120$ is chump change. Buy the coin and hold it till you find a better one the relist with no reserve. You will get most of your money back and even if you don't are you collecting profitable coins or early ANACS ones?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    corroded, $12.08 shipping, no returns, pass.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass... there are more out there and you know you will not be happy with this one. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Pass, there are better coins available for the same money. Patience.... you will be happy when you find the right one.

To one of the other posters, $120 may be chump change to you and I but you do not know the collector's situation. It may be a stretch right now... or not.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I would pass if I were in your shoes. Patience.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I would pass. It's inevitable another will appear. Be patient.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>corroded, $12.08 shipping, no returns, pass. >>

Yup! Exactly right.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I would reply with an offer of $100 including shipping; the worst that can happen is you don't buy a damaged coin.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>corroded, $12.08 shipping, no returns, pass. >>

With shipping your $100 bid would have been $112 right? For only $8 bucks difference, why are we having this discussion?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file