Home Precious Metals
Options

Picked up an unusual 5 oz silver bar. Any value over melt?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up a 5 oz Johnson-Matthey bar with the normal J-M design on the front of the bar. The back of this bar has a sun design like on the New Mexico state flag with "RANCHERS EXPLORATION". Below is "ESCALANTE MINE" and "1982". Does this bar have any collector value above it's melt value? Any help with this bar would be appreciated. Sorry but I don't have any pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cars?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe Cars has sold this type of JM before. I think he got like 100+ on it. Lets see what he says
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    This style of bar is common. You will find them in several sizes in both gold & silver.

The premium for the 5oz silver bar would be $5-10 at most.

Still a nice bar!! image

Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $85 or $17 per oz. It's in the original sealed plastic holder (probably PVC). Not sure if that makes a difference.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me most people on Ebay will pay a small premium in original packaging.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,