Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I picked up a 1912 Wold series ticket stub. (Sub popped)

Anyone here know about tickets??? It's a ticket stub from the 1912 world series between BOSTON / NEW YORK

/

Comments

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    If authentic, it's a desired piece. Nice find.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    if it's real a very nice piece, how much did you pay for it, any story that went along with it?
  • thats a nice pickup. details please image
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If authentic that is a great find...image

Here's a photo of the Red Sox team...Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    While looking up the 1912 World Series, I noticed Game 2 was played in Fenway, so my question is how would this ticket have been used at the Polo Grounds on Game 2 if Game 2 was in Fenway. Am I missing something here?

Here's a detailed link to the game...Donato

Boston / New York Game 2
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• It may be the second game played at the polo grounds. Need to get PSA to slab it, then their are no questions to if its real. Nice find, hows the back and if we might ask what was the cost?
  • I have a sign in front of my dads jewelery store that says "We buy old sports cards". So every once in a while someone stops in with some cards that they want to sell. The person that brought the ticket in wanted an old camera that my dad had, so he traded they guy the camera for the ticket. I doubt it would even get a number grade, so I'll probably just get it slabbed as authentic.
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    According to the Beckett price guide I have on World Series items, the stub books for $400-$800. I am not sure how accurate that is, but that is what is listed.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Check this THREAD for approximate value.

• << <i>It may be the second game played at the polo grounds. Need to get PSA to slab it, then their are no questions to if its real. Nice find, hows the back and if we might ask what was the cost? >>

Unfortunately the back isn't very good image

• While I am by no means an expert - something does not seem right with this ticket.

I have samples that date back to about the 1930's. And printing practices differ from geographic regions.

However, if this ticket was printed in New York (why would it not ?) then it should reflect those traits.

Also - if this was preserved in a book or a drawer it would still show some deterioration / discoloring.

The tear looks as if was made yesterday.

I do hope I am wrong and you have a super find. It may well be worth authenticating.

good luck.

edit: I'll see if I can provide a smple from close to that era.
  • He probably pulled it out of a pack of 88 Fleer basketball.
  • forget the controversy.

whose idea was it to let a girl play for the 1912 Red Sox? image
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem legit to me.....purple ticket..color ink.....and $1.00 dollar even for the price...where is all the taxes that is seen on a lot of ticket prices......maybe 1912 was before a lot of "state, amusement, and local tax"
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I'm almost positive that in 1912 it was still called "world's championship series" on tickets and programs. I think I had a stolen picture of a ticket from that series, I'll see if I can find it.
  • What concerns me is the BLANK back of the ticket. I have a few tickets from the '20s and they all have disclaimers etc on the back.

The 2nd game was indisputedly played in Boston. It ended as a tie after 11 innings. The Series went 8 games that year.

PoppaJ

• scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Donato, where did you find that 1912 Sox team picture?

I have a newspaper page from a 1912 Boston Globe with that same picture, and hadn't seen that image anywhere else before.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jim is correct 1912 WS tix said 1912 World championship game.

At least the tickets sold for the games played in NY.

If you google 1912 World series tickets picture you will see one that was listed in a hunts auction.

Does NOT look anything like the one in this thread.

Hopefully the camera was a piece of junk.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I just found this one on ebay under completed listings. No scans of the back though. LINK
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    That white sure is bright. Looks like it was ripped yesterday, except for the artificial aging on the back. Does it still smell like coffee?

Here are some other early World Series tickets to compare to.

imageimage

Interesting, what you need to do is send it in for authenticating.

Doubtful the one on ebay will sell for 6k when a full ticket sold for half that amount
    in the Hunt auction.

You may want to ask someone over at net 54, there they know more about vintage stuff.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Interesting, what you need to do is send it in for authenticating.

Doubtful the one on ebay will sell for 6k when a full ticket sold for half that amount
    in the Hunt auction.

You may want to ask someone over at net 54, there they know more about vintage stuff.

Steve >>

No point in trying to get it graded right??? Just get it authenticated??
    I'd try for a grade, why not? I'd simply ask them to grade it A at the least.

IMO since it is torn a numerical grade and an A grade would probably mean almost the same thing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Here's the one that I had stolen the pic. I think it was the same one Steve was talking about.

Odd that they are so different, maybe because the purple was for field seats (bleachers?) and the white was for reserved seats.

Allen those are great - are they yours?

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Looked up John T. Brush (name on your 1912 ticket stub). Did you know? image

rd

January 1, 1915, Friday

PROFITS OF GIANTS IN J.T. BRUSH ESTATE; New York Nationals Netted $179,736 in 1912, When President Died. HIS STOCK WORTH $348,702 Appraisal in This State is $415,625 -- Realty Holdings in Indianapolis and New Jersey.

John Tomlinson Brush, late President of the National Exhibition Company, the legal name of the corporation which owns the New York National League Baseball team, left a net estate in this State of $415,625 when he died, on Nov. 26, 1912, of which $348,702 was in stock of the corporation, according to the appraisal filed for transfer tax purposes in the office of the State Controller yesterday.

imageimageimageimageMelanie - Beautiful People imageimageimageimage
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looked up John T. Brush (name on your 1912 ticket stub). Did you know? image

rd

January 1, 1915, Friday

PROFITS OF GIANTS IN J.T. BRUSH ESTATE; New York Nationals Netted $179,736 in 1912, When President Died. HIS STOCK WORTH $348,702 Appraisal in This State is $415,625 -- Realty Holdings in Indianapolis and New Jersey.

John Tomlinson Brush, late President of the National Exhibition Company, the legal name of the corporation which owns the New York National League Baseball team, left a net estate in this State of $415,625 when he died, on Nov. 26, 1912, of which $348,702 was in stock of the corporation, according to the appraisal filed for transfer tax purposes in the office of the State Controller yesterday. >>

Bob , Thanks for the update . When I have my 5,000 post , I'll use some of this info as part of the impossible questions that have to be coughed up . That was a TON of money when truely adjusted , against the gold it was TRUELY backed with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allen , great pics--------- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • **RED SOX TEAM PHOT0**Check out the dude at the end of the second row, right side, second from last.
    Was Blue Star Ointment around back then? Guess not!
    At least his glove was outside his pants.

<< <i>He probably pulled it out of a pack of 88 Fleer basketball. >>

lmao

<< <i>Donato, where did you find that 1912 Sox team picture?

I have a newspaper page from a 1912 Boston Globe with that same picture, and hadn't seen that image anywhere else before. >>

I found it on Wikipedia. Here is the link

Donato

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    What I took as odd was that both team's names (cities) were printed on the ticket.....due to the nature of a World Series (tickets being printed in advance, etc.), it's unusual to see a visting team printed on them...interesting piece for sure!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    It says game 2 because it was the second game played at the Polo Grounds.

The actual game 2 was played on Oct 9th while this game was played on the 11th.

Very possible it is legit.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>It says game 2 because it was the second game played at the Polo Grounds.

Steve >>

Thanks Steve, now it makes sense as to why the ticket says game 2.

Donato

• scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What I took as odd was that both team's names (cities) were printed on the ticket.....due to the nature of a World Series (tickets being printed in advance, etc.), it's unusual to see a visting team printed on them...interesting piece for sure! >>

In 1912, the Red Sox won the AL pennant by 14 games, and had the pennant clinched by roughly Sept. 15. The Giants won the NL pennant by 10 1/2 games and had their pennant clinched by roughly Sept. 21. So since the World Series didn't start until October 8, that would leave more than enough time to print the tickets, AND know who the opponent would be!
  • Wow, thanks for all the valuable information guys image

Allen, you are 100% correct about the paper loss on the back of the ticket being bright white. The previous owner had the ticket glued to the inside of a book, and for some idiotic reason decided to just peal it off before he brought it into my dads shop. So, the paper loss is only a couple of days old, and it probably could of been removed with a lot less damage, but the guy had no clue what he had, or what he was doing.

• << <i>The previous owner had the ticket glued to the inside of a book, and for some idiotic reason decided to just peal it off before he brought it into my dads shop. >>

I'm gonna have to call BS on this one just like everything else you ever post on here.

Paperloss showing bright white is on the front and the back but was glued to a book? Whatever!

Should I drag up ALL the other threads you started on here that all turned out to BS?
  • I have no idea if that ticket is real. Maybe your collection assistant can do the research for you?

• << <i>Wow, thanks for all the valuable information guys image

Allen, you are 100% correct about the paper loss on the back of the ticket being bright white. The previous owner had the ticket glued to the inside of a book, and for some idiotic reason decided to just peal it off before he brought it into my dads shop. So, the paper loss is only a couple of days old, and it probably could of been removed with a lot less damage, but the guy had no clue what he had, or what he was doing. >>

He must have had some idea of what he had - he traded it for a camera.

I doubt a person would rip out a ticket to see what they could get for it from a store. It seems a reasonable explantion for the stark whiteness.

Do I seem suspicious ? Pehaps ....
  • My dad got a lot more then just the ticket, he got a bunch of coins and stamps out of the deal as well, all for a camera $150 camera. All I can tell you is what my dad told me "It was some old man, and he had no clue what he had". My dad asked the man if he had any sports cards and he said no.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My dad got a lot more then just the ticket, he got a bunch of coins and stamps out of the deal as well, all for a camera $150 camera. All I can tell you is what my dad told me "It was some old man, and he had no clue what he had". My dad asked the man if he had any sports cards and he said no. >>

If I asked you if you had any sense I would expect the same response.

<< <i>My dad got a lot more then just the ticket, he got a bunch of coins and stamps out of the deal as well, all for a camera $150 camera. All I can tell you is what my dad told me "It was some old man, and he had no clue what he had". My dad asked the man if he had any sports cards and he said no. >>

Looks real!

rd

P.S. (white inside doesn't necessarily mean fake!)

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunday Sept. 27th - The person that brought the ticket in wanted an old camera that my dad had, so he traded they guy the camera for the ticket.

Monday Sept. 28th - My dad got a lot more then just the ticket, he got a bunch of coins and stamps out of the deal as well.

What will tomorrow's version bring? Stay tuned.

Interesting!

Similar stubs from two different locations (1912 & 1915) ??? How's that possible? A New York printer shipping to Chicago back in 1915 (or vice verse: ...a Chicago printer shipping to NYC in 1912???). Hard to swallow?

What do you think? Maybe similar "printer's layouts" (i.e., see, "rain Check" on both stubs!) used by different teams? image

rd

imageimageimageimageWho Knows? - Band of Gypsys imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageSting - If You Love Somebody Set Them Free imageimageimageimage
  • I don't know anything about this ticket, and to be totally honest, I never even knew that there was a baseball team called the New York Giants.

Let's just take a poll, and I will post the verdict when it gets back from PSA.

A) Yes it's authentic.

B) No it's not authentic.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    B)-- NO
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

<< <i>I don't know anything about this ticket, and to be totally honest, I never even knew that there was a baseball team called the New York Giants.

Let's just take a poll, and I will post the verdict when it gets back from PSA.

A) Yes it's authentic.

B) No it's not authentic. >>

Yes

B
  • Not authentic.
  • C) You are a douchebag
    C ........ I don't know.

Steve
    Good for you.