Home Sports Talk
Options

ARod Sending a Message

otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
Tonight against the Red Sox, ARod is 3-3 with a walk, single, double, home run, 4 RBI and 3 stolen bases and probably another at bat yet to come.

Since July 1st, he's hitting .323 with 16 HR, 54 RBI and 12 SB. I'm still saying that he'll have a monster post season.

Comments

• Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Who know what the future holds, but the guy's doing it this year against the teams the Yanks have to beat (Sox and Angels). Key stat: more than half his RBI have put the team ahead or tied the game this season. Dramatic showings with GW-RBI in that extra innings classic vs the Sox and a nail-biter this week vs the Halos. Gotta like the look in his eye these days if you're a Yankee fan.
  • Options
    You mean the message that he is a good hitter? I think he has been doing that since the mid-90s
    Tom
  • Options
    I think the message is that he is finally at 100% again or at least close.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    The message is that ARod is coming through in the clutch this year big time. And its about time! I hope he carries it into the playoffs.
  • Options
    Can he do it in the post season? He has always excelled in the regular season.

The question I have is:

Will AROD ever perform when it matters most?

Case in point -

I am certain Reggie is quite satisfied with his regular season stats, which pale in comparison to AROD's, because of what he did when the big lights were shining brightest.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    agreed, Arod hasn't proved anything until he can win games in the post season. Winning games after you clinch in the regular season means nothing. We
    know it and Arod knows it.
  • Options
    They are still out for home field advantage, and with the new stadium favoring the Yanks' team strength that is a very important thing to clinch. The Yanks DO NOT want a Game 7 in Anaheim. So his performance yesterday was not at all in a meaningless game. In addition, to lose the division stranglehold they wrested from the Sox in the second half would be a major letdown; these game are not utterly meaningless until home field and, to a lesser extent, the division, are sewn up.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Every game is important.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I personally cannot wait till the post season so I can root against th Yankees. They are whats wrong with baseball. Time for a new commish, salary cap.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>I personally cannot wait till the post season so I can root against th Yankees. They are whats wrong with baseball. Time for a new commish, salary cap. >>

Salary cap? Why? So that teams that mismanage their business, refuse to invest profits, pocket their stipends from the luxury tax, and ask taxpayers to supplement new stadiums can continue to cry poverty?

The major market teams SUPPORT the small market teams. Some of the most profitable teams ARE the small market teams.

A salary cap, without a bottom minimum would only continue to reward teams that refuse to pay their talent.

MLB NEEDS an imbalance in small market and large market to exist.

The fact that the Yankees have built a mega business between the new stadium, television entity (YES Network) and marketing agreements should not be penalized by limiting the amount that the team can spend.

I appreciate the inequities that small market teams face with regard to fan base population, television revenue and expenses, but most are still turning a profit after they get done cooking the books.

Perhaps if their fan base spent as much time supporting the team and demanding that these teams keep and market their young talent instead of complaining about what the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs and Mets do, the small market teams might decide to invest some of their profits into fielding a competitive team year in and year out. Instead, they'll find excuses, point fingers of blame and cry when their favorite teams refuses to invest in the future by signing long term deals for their home grown stars (Joe Mauer, Jake Peavy, Adrian Gonzalez, Nate McClouth and others).
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a funny post! Afraud has a good game against the Sox on September 25th and now he is going to be playoff & World series MVP? image Keep drinking the Spankee cool aid and tell yourselfs that a guy struggling to get 100 rbis is worth that 100+ Million!

What a joke.
  • Options
    "Struggling to get 100 RBI?" You are aware he missed a month of the season-- and is on a team with guys who drive in runs?

He also won that extra innings game against the Sox with a walk off HR.

Nowhere in this post did I see homeboy predict A-Rod was winning post-season MVP awards. The point, I believe, is that this season a high percentage (over 50) of his RBIs have put the team ahead or tied the game. This in a season where they have reclaimed division dominance. That is noteworthy for someone who has been given a rap regarding "clutch" hitting.
  • Options

<< <i>What a funny post! Afraud has a good game against the Sox on September 25th and now he is going to be playoff & World series MVP? image Keep drinking the Spankee cool aid and tell yourselfs that a guy struggling to get 100 rbis is worth that 100+ Million!

What a joke. >>

LMFAO! A joke? "Struggling" to get 100 RBI after missing a month of the season, sitting once a week and recovering from hip surgery. Next thing you'll be saying is that Clay Bucholtz is the best pitcher in the AL (behind Beckett, Lester and just ahead of Wakefield and Dice K)...
  • Options
    OTW,

You mean Lester who got lit up last night? So much for that 8-0 that was so trumpeted earlier this year.
  • Options

<< <i>"Struggling to get 100 RBI?" You are aware he missed a month of the season-- and is on a team with guys who drive in runs?

He also won that extra innings game against the Sox with a walk off HR.

Nowhere in this post did I see homeboy predict A-Rod was winning post-season MVP awards. The point, I believe, is that this season a high percentage (over 50) of his RBIs have put the team ahead or tied the game. This in a season where they have reclaimed division dominance. That is noteworthy for someone who has been given a rap regarding "clutch" hitting. >>

OK fair enough- Im just aggrevated with the Red Sox thats all.
  • Options
    Hey, fair enough. We've all been there with all our respective teams-- and will be over the years to come. Ups and downs. Good news for all of us is that a brand new season starts with the playoffs. I lived with the Mattingly/late 80's Yanks that never even got to the playoffs, so even a division crown feels good.
  • Options
    personally cannot wait till the post season so I can root against th Yankees. They are whats wrong with baseball. Time for a new commish, salary cap.

LOL

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LMFAO! A joke? "Struggling" to get 100 RBI after missing a month of the season, sitting once a week and recovering from hip surgery. >>

Had he not abused steroids, probably wouldn't have needed hip surgery at 33.

Just sayin..

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally cannot wait till the post season so I can root against th Yankees. They are whats wrong with baseball. Time for a new commish, salary cap. >>

This, as always, is the weakest arguement with baseball. How many years now that it has been PROVEN that spending money doesnt equal a WS or even a PLAYOFF SPOT!? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options

<< <i>

This, as always, is the weakest arguement with baseball. How many years now that it has been PROVEN that spending money doesnt equal a WS or even a PLAYOFF SPOT!? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz >>

Exactly!

Actually the Yankees are poster boys for that image
  • Options
    A couple of points,

One year does not indicate reclaiming division dominance. If you think so, go talk to the Tampa Bay Rays...they were supposed to be the new dominant team in the division.

The rap on AROD from Yankee fans was that he wasn't a clutch player. That's because Yankee fans have always compared AROD to Captain Clutch.

The rap on AROD from us non-Yankee fans is that he is a high priced regular season guy, who can't get it done when the ring is on the line.

No disgrace in not being a post-season money player, there are plenty of great players like Bonds and Clemens who failed in the post season.

Gee maybe steroids does have something to do with it

No seriously, I think anyone who tries to criticize AROD for anything other than his failure in post season is being unfair and ridiculous.

As a Red Sox fan, I have no problem admitting that he is a great player whose one failing is his lack of post-season production.

BTW, Ted Williams choked big time in the 1946 World Series.

It is part of the legacy of some of the best of players.

I watched Yaz make the final out in maybe the three most important games he ever played in Game 7 of the '67 Series against the Cardinals, Game 7 of the '75 Series against the Reds and the '78 playoff game against the Yankees.

Now I know Yaz had a great '67 series and did hit a 2-run homer to put the Sox up 2-0 before Bucky "Bleepin'" Dent went deep off Mike Torrez, but what I really remember (because they show it over and over and over) was the pop out to Nettles in the bottom of the ninth to end the game.

Fair or unfair - the morale of the story is usually, if not always "what have you done for me lately?"

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    For those that keep insisting a cap is the way to go what would the cap be?

Basebali is a multi BILLION dollar a year industry.

Or should it be the amount that your team pays its players?

Football needs a cap because they play ONLY 16 games

Basketball and Hockey need one because they don't make the $ baseball does.

Baseball needs a MINIMUM cap, that way teams like the Twins would be forced to pay their players

a decent wage. Maybe then guys would stay and not move on when they became a free agent.

For all you guys that whine about a cap would you switch employers if someone else offered you much more then

what you are making now? Of course you would.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..........One year does not indicate reclaiming division dominance. If you think so, go talk to the Tampa Bay Rays........... >>

Why, what were the Rays trying to reclaim?

Here's a nice image just for MAD.

• Options
    A valid point about the Rays, as they were trying to retain the AL East Championship.

Because it is always the thought that counts.

Thank you for the Bucky Dent flashback.

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------