Home Metal Detecting
Options

Beach/Underwater Detecting

Hello,

im getting ready to retire from the Army and am moving to panama city beach FL. I have never detected the beach or underwater and would like to do both. has anyone here done either and do you have pictures of any finds.

chris

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to retirement and the 'sweet addiction'. Let me suggest you join the Friendly Metal Detectors forum... www.metaldetectingforum.com There are many water, beach and underwater detecting people there. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    To add to ricko's suggestion, you may also want to check out www.treasurenet.com for some finds and discussion as well.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 2010 is the year I'm ditching the land detector for underwater hunting. There's a LOT of swimming holes where I am and I look hot in a wetsuit.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I've never done it but good luck! I was born in Panama City and lived there before moving to ohio image
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Detecting beaches can be a huge buzzkill. On one hand your thinking "man this huge easy to dig flat ground were tons of people come every day and lose their belonging in the moveable sand." Then on the other hand you need to consider that beaches are the number one spot for casual detectorists. If its a major beach more likely then not there are a bunch of people that detect the sand for a few hours later in the day and pick up anything of interest. You can still find stuff at beaches but you have to be selective about were you detect and be ready for a possible big disappointment. I think the best beaches to detect are small public or even private beaches that arent that widely known and are set deep inside campgrounds or state parks or the like and have been open for 50+ years. This way a good number of people have hung out there yet theres a good chance that not a single detector has hit the ground there. I've been to a state park beach 3 times in the last couple weeks and have had great luck with finding stuff. This beach has been closed this past year so only the casual hiker is seen on the beach which leaves me with a quiet open area to detect all day.

I've never been detecting underwater. I imagine its something that you really really have to have a desire to do to keep your interest in it.