Home Metal Detecting
Options

If you were just starting out...

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
and know what you know now, what detector would you purchase?
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    i would look for a Whites 6000 DiPro. they were made in the mid 1980's.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get the Whites Spectra V3.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had luck with my Garrett Ace 250, its quite affordable too for what it does.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ive had luck with my Garrett Ace 250, its quite affordable too for what it does. >>

yup. save some money and buy garrett 250 over a whites lower end model.
    only when you have some experience step up to a fancier white's model and skip the prism series.

but i am still at the garrett ace 250 stage... and feel it is fine for many
    more moons before getting something better.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, the Whites Spectra V3 is expensive!! I could purchase a new house in Arkansas for that price!!! image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... it is expensive. There are some deals to be had, and White's has a $100 off coupon you can send for (via website). I would not recommend it if you are just going to'try out' MD'ing. It is for the serious afficionado. Truly 'hooked' MD'rs tend to migrate upscale... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    any minelab product.
  • Options
    Knowing what I do now.....Garrett Ace 250. I have owned 2 Garretts, a Groundhog and the GTi 2500 I have now....Excellent machines. The Ace 250 is a great machine at an excellent price.
  • Options
    I have a White's Eagle Spectrum. It was really easy to use right out of the box. Rechargeable battery packs work great; I've never used regular batteries in mine.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters