Home Sports Talk

Ryan Howard, four in a row !

Ryan Howard , despite his power numbers being just a bit off,
has now got four consecutive seasons with 40 + HRs, and 120 + RBI !

He actually has them in his first four full ( 100 + games ) seasons in MLB, no one before has done that, and there are, I believe, only three other guys who ever had four in a row.
Babe Ruth 6 in a row, and Sammy Sosa 4, and Ken G., Jr 4.

More of an oddity, or unique hitting feat, rather than a true measure of greatness, however, still very impressive.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• HGH
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and is helping carry the Phils to another NL East title and hopefully another World Series championship.

Case closed.

• << <i>...and is helping carry the Phils to another NL East title and hopefully another World Series championship.

Case closed. >>

I say "HGH" and that is your best response? The Pujols guy would have called his attorney after posting the supposed proof that he is clean.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Ryan Howard on the office. He is one talented dude.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    At first I thought this thread was about four hr's in a row. Then I thought it may be about four k's in a row. Then I finally realized it most likely was about four steak&cheese subs consumed in a row between pitches in the 5th inning.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>At first I thought this thread was about four hr's in a row. Then I thought it may be about four k's in a row. Then I finally realized it most likely was about four steak&cheese subs consumed in a row between pitches in the 5th inning. >>

LMAO

• << <i>Ryan Howard , despite his power numbers being just a bit off,
    has now got four consecutive seasons with 40 + HRs, and 120 + RBI !

He actually has them in his first four full ( 100 + games ) seasons in MLB, no one before has done that, and there are, I believe, only three other guys who ever had four in a row.
    Babe Ruth 6 in a row, and Sammy Sosa 4, and Ken G., Jr 4.

More of an oddity, or unique hitting feat, rather than a true measure of greatness, however, still very impressive.
    image >>

Jaxxr, I am glad you put that last part in your post(the one I put in bold), well done.

The big question now is whether fans, writers, etc... will finally recognize who their best player is this year, and who has been the last several years.

They very well may win it again, and the lion share of the reason is because of their best player(s)(which is NOT Howard).

I am all for giving credit, but lets give it fairly!
  • I remember the last time I hit 4 in a row, wait a minute, this is for another forum....
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • It is easy to see Utley has been the superior player the past three years, but Howard has been great too

It will be interesting to see who ends up as the second best first baseman of this generation, between Texiera, Howard, Helton. Fielder can't compare yet. If Howard can make it five in a row, he has an outside chance
    Tom
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    All things considered, he is an awesome player. I know he can be struck out; but he also seems to rise to the occasion---a little like Reggie. I don't know if the comparison has been made; but that's good company for Howard to be in. They may not admit it; but pitchers worry about facing these type of hitters. Career wise, I would much rather have Howard than Utley. JMO. image
  • Jackson is the comparison everyone makes and seems to be pretty fair. Their 20s have been pretty similar, if not for the Phillies stupidly keeping Howard in the minors. The difference is that Jackson hit well all the way through his 30s. Howard is still at least six years away. Odds are Howard won't be hitting like this in 2014, so ending up somewhere between Dave Justice and Reggie Jackson is a great career

The rising to the occasion is more perception than reality. Jackson was a good hitter no matter what month or inning

And as always when less runs are scored each run Reggie helped his team score did more to change the outcome of the game

(Career-wise is far different that the past three years. . . )
    Tom

• << <i>Career wise, I would much rather have Howard than Utley. JMO. image >>

I would much rather have Utley. Power-hitting first basemen are a dime a dozen (although I would take Pujols over Utley) but great all-around second baseman are hard to find.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
    "Dime a dozen"

Sluggers who have hit 58 home runs, less than a dozen in the history of the game.

• << <i>"Dime a dozen"

Sluggers who have hit 58 home runs, less than a dozen in the history of the game. >>

I'm not denying that. He's a great power hitter. But if I had the choice of having Utley at second putting up 30+ homers a year and having an average first baseman or taking Howard at first and having an average second baseman than I would probably take my chances with Utley. All I'm saying is that, while it's true that very few people have hit 58 homers in a season, you don't have to hit the ball out of the park to be productive and drive in runs.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

<< <i>Jackson is the comparison everyone makes and seems to be pretty fair. Their 20s have been pretty similar, if not for the Phillies stupidly keeping Howard in the minors. The difference is that Jackson hit well all the way through his 30s. Howard is still at least six years away. Odds are Howard won't be hitting like this in 2014, so ending up somewhere between Dave Justice and Reggie Jackson is a great career

The rising to the occasion is more perception than reality. Jackson was a good hitter no matter what month or inning

And as always when less runs are scored each run Reggie helped his team score did more to change the outcome of the game

(Career-wise is far different that the past three years. . . ) >>

<<< The rising to the occasion is more perception than reality >>>

No, it's reality...some players get that adrenaline rush and choke...some players get that adrenaline rush and do better....this is true in all sports.

• << <i>No, it's reality...some players get that adrenaline rush and choke...some players get that adrenaline rush and do better....this is true in all sports. >>

No matter what chemsitry was going on inside of Reggie Jackson's body, it did not change how much he succeeded or failed. He was still a great hitter in all situations, with only one game out of nearly 3000 standing out -- give him credit for it, but it's not much evidence when the other 76 postseason games combined to be so far below what he did in the regular season

No matter what his nickname was, he hit better in June and July than October

You can go to baseballreference and see exactly how he did in situations described as "Late & Close"; you can see how much better he did in the first inning than any other inning; you can see how much he struggled in extra innings

So well some players handle that adrenaline by choking or doing better, overall through a very long career, Jackson did about the same. So other than perception or some idea that perhaps someone might do better in certain situations, what reason do people have for believing that applies here
    Tom

<< <i>

<< <i>No, it's reality...some players get that adrenaline rush and choke...some players get that adrenaline rush and do better....this is true in all sports. >>

No matter what chemsitry was going on inside of Reggie Jackson's body, it did not change how much he succeeded or failed. He was still a great hitter in all situations, with only one game out of nearly 3000 standing out -- give him credit for it, but it's not much evidence when the other 76 postseason games combined to be so far below what he did in the regular season

No matter what his nickname was, he hit better in June and July than October

You can go to baseballreference and see exactly how he did in situations described as "Late & Close"; you can see how much better he did in the first inning than any other inning; you can see how much he struggled in extra innings

So well some players handle that adrenaline by choking or doing better, overall through a very long career, Jackson did about the same. So other than perception or some idea that perhaps someone might do better in certain situations, what reason do people have for believing that applies here >>

This is seen all the time in all sports...some players step up and rise to the occasion and some don't...and yes, it could be considered "body chemistry" or "psychological" or whatever it is...there is no doubt it is real, and I've watched too many sporting events and too many player performances not to believe this. Some players step up and some players choke in big situations...doesn't happen 100% of the time either way, but it's consistent enough to know it's real.
  • all that does absolutely nothing to answer if it applies in this case or not

In the too many sporting events have you seen, have you noticed any players that perhaps generally do not change?...they approach each at bat similarily no matter what the situation?...they perform at the same standard?...Because no matter the adrenaline "body chemisty" "psychology" or whatever else was going on all the evidence available shows that over the course of nearly 3000 games and over 11000 plate appearances Reggie Jackson performed at a similar level in most documented situations...whether it was the first inning or the ninth inning...June or October...runners on base or not. . .
    Tom
    I'm not sure what all this is about; but didn't Reggie have a career .357 batting average in the World Series. That's about 90 points higher than his regular season sub .270 career average. I'm not always perfect with my wording but I would call that either "stepping up" or rising to the occasion. It seems like I've been reading in some of these posts how Reggie's numbers were similar in in regular season and post season situations---I beg to differ.

Mickey71image
  • The World Series hasn't been the only postseason series since 1968, Jackson's rookie year. He played 67% more games in the LCS with far different results. Why did he choose to play so poorly in those important games?
    Tom
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    869 K's in 2649 AB's = 32.8% of his at bats are wasted efforts...

EDIT: Considering that roughly 30% of his total hits are home runs and that he's a career .277 lifetime hitter I'd still be hard pressed to say he's a lock for the Hall.