Home Precious Metals

Have two 100 silver bars - where do I sell them?

In another thread it became clear I should have asked for advice BEFORE selling 5 oz of gold.

Now I have 200 oz of silver to sell. So before I make the mistake of lugging the two bars into my local B&M, I thought I'd ask you guys first. If you were selling these, where would you send them?

Also, is there any premium for the toning (like I should put them on BST or Ebay as "collectables") or are they just bullion?

Comments

• No premium for toning on Silver bars, if you have a legit dealer he should offer spot plus 20 cents for name brand 100 oz. bars like yours.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    local dealer should snap that up. save the cost of shipping, the cost of ebay/paypal fees,
    and walk out with cash on the barrel head.

sure you may be able to squeeze a bit more out of the transaction but the feeling of
    having cash right away is a good one.

• << <i>No premium for toning on Silver bars, if you have a legit dealer he should offer spot plus 20 cents for name brand 100 oz. bars like yours. >>

For bars, do dealers really pay a premium? I know on gold and silver eagles they do. I ask b/c I always bought eagles and have sold some but only recently started buying bars and have never sold one.

Right now with silver at 17.36, apmex will pay $1,715 for a 100oz. JM bar, so a slight .012% discount to spot. Apmex is asking $1,799 for the same bar. Find someone here who wants it and split the spread with them and you're both happy. If nobody is to be found, then
    find your best offer from a dealer. Apmex (adjusted for shipping cost) is your starting point and right now is your floor.

Randy
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I'd buy them but AMPEX ain't sent me my check yet!

A B&M should be begging for silver to sell now just tell them what you want with in reason & stick to it. NO less than spot.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • BST.

You'd be surprised just how strong the buying power of some of the members here really is.

And if they don't sell for whatever reason, what have you lost?

Always try the BST first.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • This thread just might do it. If not BST would be best second option.

Third option, Ebay - if you haven't listed yet this month, you can sell them with a final value fee of 20.00 each, or sell them as one lot and 20.00 total final value fee. The first 5 listings each month qualify for this promotion.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    BST first then if no takings offer it elsewhere. I love BST because I can send a money order and I accept money orders..........paypal isn't gonna take its cut!

I think you should keep those 100 oz bars.........why sell it?? Did you recently buy it or did you buy it when silver was at 6 a oz???
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

• << <i>I think you should keep those 100 oz bars.........why sell it?? Did you recently buy it or did you buy it when silver was at 6 a oz??? >>

After doing some reading, I think I'm okay with the "hold" advice for a bit. Maybe if we hit $18.50 or something I'll take Rg's advice and sell.

No, I didn't buy it when silver was $6/oz. I got it the old fashioned way. I inherited it. Mom died and I (sole heir) found two bars when cleaning out her house. One was under the bed. One was a door stop in the kitchen of all things. I found the receipt but don't have it with me. I think she bought it in 1988 or something, maybe paid $12.??/oz - does that sound right?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those 2 bars are your entire silver stash, I'd sit on them until the day that silver hits the mania stage.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

• << <i>If those 2 bars are your entire silver stash, I'd sit on them until the day that silver hits the mania stage.

roadrunner >>

I'm holding and plan to spend some time reading about the topic. Thank you (and thank you for the PM - very helpful)
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver and gold are just about as liquid as water as long as you stick to well known and respected manufacturers. Your bars are Johnson Matthey which is solidly in the top 2 or 3 of most well known and respected non-governmental bullion producers. "Mania" in my opinion would be $30+
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Your mom was way cool!! A class act - 100 oz JM bar for a door stopper.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the mid-80's I bought 3 100 oz. bars from Sunshine Mining and took delivery. I kinda miss them!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>Your mom was way cool!! A class act - 100 oz JM bar for a door stopper. >>

Thanks. Mom was a very neat lady. But I think it was the alzheimer's that put the silver bar in the kitchen as a door stop. I can just imagine that while she was putting away here latest coffee maker (I found 12 of them in the house) she happened across the bar that she had stashed in the back of a closet or something and wondered what it was and why she had it. She probably concluded that it was a door stop that had gotten kicked into the closet.

As for the coffee makers... She liked coffee. I think she probably would see a coffee maker at a store and think - "I like coffee, this looks easy, I should get this." Of course she already had a house full of coffee makers that were, in the end, too hard for her to use.

I brought her down to live with us. She was happier with her son making coffee. She liked Bailey's or Kallua in it. She was a neat lady.
  • Uh Oh ......They look like new bars with AT
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • A door stopper, I love it!!!image