Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Craig Biggio Basic/Master Set Thread

rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
3000 hits plus being the greatest position player in Astros history deserves his own thread.

I just started these sets a month or so ago and I have slowly worked my way up to the number 3 and 4 spots respectively.

I am looking for as many different issues I can find in PSA 10, especially the 1988 and 1989 odd ball issues I do not have.

I hope not to be the only member to post in this thread, but I am not expecting it to be anywhere near as popular as the Ripken thread.
Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options
    Well, shoot. I guess I should post something since I'm currently #1 on the Master set and #2 on the Basic set. I started collecting Biggio when he was a rookie and I've always liked him, but I'm a Red Sox fan so my appreciation for Biggio never developed into a full blown man crush.

I started my master set in early 2006 and slowly worked on it for about 2 years, but I've barely touched it in 2009. At only 233 cards it is very manageable at this point, but I figure there are thousands of cards yet to be added and I don't know if I have that fortitude or the interest to try to tackle that.

• Options
    I have picked up several that are not in the Master Set. Will update a few as I go. I will not break the bank on either set, but will try and add cards every month over the next few years, as Biggio is my favorite player.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I like Biggio and have a few of his cards . Would love a 91 MooTown Snackers with tab
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    got this in over the weekend. This is one of the lower pop 10s from 1988-89 of Biggio.

• Options
    What kind of nerd collects Biggio cards?
  • Options

<< <i>What kind of nerd collects Biggio cards? >>

one that does not have much money.
  • Options
    BTW, I still need the 89 Donruss in a 10
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, I still need the 89 Donruss in a 10 >>

if you find me an 88 Score Glossy PSA 10 cheap, then I will give you the 89 Donruss.
  • Options
    okay, how does 1991 Denny's Grand Slamemrs Holograms get into the basic set when 1991 and 1992 Fleer are not?

• Options
    Probably just because I have the Dennys card and I don't have either the 1991 or the 1992 Fleer yet. image

It really doesn't seem like a "basic" issue though.
  • Options
    I still need 89 Donruss and Topps PSA 10's. Anyone?
  • Options
    the sets really need cleaning up and expanding. I guess I can get to work on that at some point. No 2003 or 2005 cards in the Basic set, and then they just add a 2006 Topps for the heck of it.
  • Options
    I added a few from my inventory to the basic and master sets this am. Hopefully they get updated soon. If anyone has any of the mainstream Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Upper Deck, or Score from the years that they were not included in either set please update.

Also I am always looking for Biggio 10s I do not have so this would be the place to post what you have for sale or trade.
  • Options
    I have the 89 Donruss in a 10 if anyone needs it.
  • Options

<< <i>I have the 89 Donruss in a 10 if anyone needs it. >>

Turn on your PM's
  • Options
    oops

PM's are on now.
  • Options
    a sub popped with a few Biggios in it:

NEAR MINT 7 1990 LEAF 37 CRAIG BIGGIO Card US -- oops
    34 1 15958161 MINT 9 1992 BOWMAN 484 CRAIG BIGGIO Card US
    35 1 15958162 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1993 FLAIR 58 CRAIG BIGGIO Card US
    36 1 15958163 MINT 9 1993 TOPPS 680 CRAIG BIGGIO Card US
    37 1 15958164 GEM MINT 10 1993 SCORE 18 CRAIG BIGGIO Card US
    38 1 15958165 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1997 TOPPS 85 CRAIG BIGGIO Card US My only 10 in the lot
    39 1 15958166 MINT 9 2000 TOPPS 339 CRAIG BIGGIO Card US I just bought a 10 of this last night so this 9 is available if anyone needs it.
    40 1 15958167 MINT 9 2007 TOPPS CHROME 223 CRAIG BIGGIO REFRACTOR Card US

Overall not too surprized, hoped for at least 2 or 3 10s, but I am not going to complain too much. Not sure what happened on the 90 Leaf
  • Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Does the 1988 Fleer Update come well centered? Every PSA 9 example I have seen is slightly off center top to bottom.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Seablaster - I hope I don't sound like a jerk when I say this, but if all the PSA 9s you've seen look off-centered, you should look at the PSA 10s. There are 124 of them in PSA 10 so it shouldn't be too hard to track one down.
  • Options
    I would like to thank theVon for giving me a deal on a lot of Biggios for my registry got all of these in from him today:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    TheVon, I appreciate your input. I just recently started collecting again after a 16 year hiatus. I was focusing mainly on several key rookie cards that still held my interest. I am trying to keep a consistent PSA 9 collection. I agree, a PSA 10 1988 Fleer Biggio wouldn't set me back too much more than a PSA 9, but I've already acquired several cards where the cost difference between a 9 and 10 would have been quite drastic. In the future I hope to pursue a 1975 George Brett and I shudder to think how much a PSA 10 sells for. As I mentioned, I'm trying to maintain consistency. Cheers.
  • Options

<< <i>TheVon, I appreciate your input. I just recently started collecting again after a 16 year hiatus. I was focusing mainly on several key rookie cards that still held my interest. I am trying to keep a consistent PSA 9 collection. I agree, a PSA 10 1988 Fleer Biggio wouldn't set me back too much more than a PSA 9, but I've already acquired several cards where the cost difference between a 9 and 10 would have been quite drastic. In the future I hope to pursue a 1975 George Brett and I shudder to think how much a PSA 10 sells for. As I mentioned, I'm trying to maintain consistency. Cheers. >>

do you have to buy all 9s? you could not go out on a limb and by a 10 when you can get one so cheap?
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Seablaster - I understand the obsessive compulsive nature of wanting cards in all the same grade . . . but if it were my project, I think I would do something like get any key cards from 1980 on up in PSA 10, cards from 1970-79 in PSA 9, 1960-69 in PSA 8 and so on.
  • Options
    Interesting points gentlemen.

When I started collecting again, I set some strict limits for myself. I'm never going to open wax packs again. I miss the excitement of opening packs and seeing a special card among the commons. At the same time, I'm glad to not have stacks of cards which are of no value to me collecting dust.

The choice to pursue PSA 9s was based on both cost and availability. I would much rather have a PSA 9 Topps Traded Ripken than a similarly priced PSA 10 Upper Deck Griffey despite the fact that I could afford both. The Griffey card is grossly overvalued in my opinion. I think the same of the 1986 Fleer Jordan. A PSA 9 is in excess of $1000 even though they are plentiful. I feel PSA 9s in general are easier to acquire and are attainable at a much more reasonable cost.

Searching on eBay I noticed a PSA 10 Fleer Biggio for $15. I feel this card is not well centered right to left and would not be interested in it if it cost $2. I still haven't come across a nicely centered PSA 9. I do admit it is slightly OCD to only pursue PSA 9s. Up to 1975, I should be able to purchase what I have want. In the distant future, I plan on getting most of the star cards of the 1955 Topps set. When I undertake this task, I'm going to resign myself to well centered PSA 7s. I've always thought these were beautiful cards, especially the Koufax rookie and Ted Williams.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    biggio psa 10

my auction, no reserve...
  • Options

<< <i>biggio psa 10

my auction, no reserve... >>

Cool. It is on my watchlist.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a 2001 Topps Heritage black Back Biggio PSA 10 on ebay now. It is probably a bit pricey. Anyone interested at a cheaper price? PM me.....