Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Collection is the Same but the Name is Different

In coming days and weeks I am going to be switching the name on my 442 sets that are on the PSA Set Registry from Davalillo to "The Crandell Collection".

The impetus for this is two-fold:

1)After noted autogragh seeker Jodi Birkholm told me a couple of stories about what Vic is doing in Venezuela now, it wasn't something I could identify with. Vic was by favorite player growing up because of his speed and it was kind of unbelievable he played for the Dodgers well into his 40s and in the Mexican league until age 50. After hearing from Jodi however I thought it was time to change my name on the sets.

2)Secondly, I am leaning more and more to opening "The Vintage Card Museum" when I retire. It would feature my 25,000 graded PSA graded cards and any other cards other collectors want to donate or display there. The name Davalillo for my collection is too confusing given these plans.

I am trying to complete as many vintage sets as possible. If possible to complete them in psa 8 or better this remains my primary goal.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I always enjoyed looking at your sets ... I think we may have had a few transactions a couple of years ago with the '67 or '68 set.

What is going on with Vic now? I have not heard. Thanks.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"m betting Mr. Davillilo's politics run counter to Mr. Crandells.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Doug,

Jodi did not want to put it on the board(Net 54) and told me personally so I will abide by he wishes. It's not pretty.

Anthony,

Ha ha! I got a kick out of that one. You are not quite where I am politically but you keep on completing my sets, we will call it the Crandell-Nex collection image

Jim
  • where would this museum be? i would love to go!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Likely in the Atlanta area.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I think its a good idea. Only a good hand full of collectors have even seen the little bat master "Vic Davalillo " play. I believe in the collecting world , far more people know your name , and you , instead of Davalillo's .

I'm very interested into finding out the other details to the story.

Best wishes on your good idea ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Sonny,

Most everyone has to grapple with the issue of what to do with their collection as they get older. While I still plan on working the next few years, it would be very sad to me to have to sell my collection or to give it to one of my children if they either don't really want it or are not equipped to take care of it.

Buying land, building a building that would be called "The Vintage Card Museum" that would house my entire collection and making it available for people to come to visit is my current thinking(dream).

Jim
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sonny,

Most everyone has to grapple with the issue of what to do with their collection as they get older. While I still plan on working the next few years, it would be very sad to me to have to sell my collection or to give it to one of my children if they either don't really want it or are not equipped to take care of it.

Buying land, building a building that would be called "The Vintage Card Museum" that would house my entire collection and making it available for people to come to visit is my current thinking(dream).

Jim >>

Jim . I'm a nobody , but when the rubber begins to spack pavement , keep me in the loop.

Other than the obvious (money== maybe ) , my collections , could make up the ceiling tile in the bathrooms or even form the legs that support the frames that would house your collection.

Hopefully , the new form of emminent domain, for the "common good " of the state , will never be found to apply in your's or my colections.

As stated above , if one is inclined , keep me in the loop. Where there is the will , a way might be found . ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
    Sonny,

Will do.

Please send me your e-mail.

Mine is jdc122@aol.com

Jim
    Burrito Jimmy,

Sounds like you have another agenda--whats your real name?

• Mr. Crandell

I have always enjoyed looking over your sets in the registery. It really is impressive and shows that you are passionate about the hobby. I really think Burrito J brings up a good point. I have seen you over on the other board and am curious as to your response to the " Markel Report." You are one of the heavy hitters in the hobby and your opionion would speak volumes.

You can start by listing your name. There is a long history of dual identities on this board.
  • Hi Jim,

I think "The Vintage Card Museum" is an excellent idea.

Look forward to visiting it someday, God willing.

PoppaJ
  • I have absolutely no problem giving you a PM with my personal information. I dont see the need for everyone else here to know that information. Why you would want that information is beyond me, all I was asking for was your opinion on the matter......
    KrissKriss,

I the past I have debated people who are alternative identities of other posters whose sole purpose ir was to attack me. One of my friends on the board e-mailed me and said be careful--Burrito Jimmy and KrissKriss are trolls--so if you want me to respond to a specific question simply state you name and your question(s)--just like people on net 54 are required to do.

Jim
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim
    Love the idea of a sports card museum. Your collection is incredible.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    Thank you Shane--I will mail out the card

Thanks also to PoppaJ
  • I've long been impressed with your baseball (and other sports) cards on the Registries. Best wishes with a potential museum. So is that why you haven't included scans - to help with museum attendance? image Really though, the museum is a fantastic idea; how I would enjoy seeing it. I'm not a collecting veteran so I don't know if such an institution exists.

You certainly set high and impressive standards for the cards in your collection - I'm still chasing after you on the Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh Player Set Registries. Now I'll look for it under "The Crandall Collection". Good luck. -Keith
    Keith,

Thank you--the museum thing is still a couple of years off. I was shown to do scans but I forget. Also I spend a lot of time on organization with the cards. I have packages come in most every day, e mails to answer and cards to enter on the registry. I don't think now that I have the time to post scans even if I knew how. I am not after attendance with the museum--I am not looking at this as a money making venture--but I do want all interested people to come and want to make it as user-friendly as possible.

Good luck on your sets.

Jim
  • well if you ever want any help count me in!!! i may not have the greatest of collections but i do love collecting!!!
    my email is benderbroeth123@msn.com
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • I probably will--especially if you are anywhere near Atlanta.

Thanks for offering.

Jim
  • "If you build it they WILL come......"

Hope to see the cards some day. Thanks from the little and poor collectors.image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • For you to get on here and call me a "Troll" when all I asked for was your opinion on an important topic is high schoolish at best. It is quite evident you do not want to give your opinion on the matter and that is fine- that is your right. If I had spent thousands of dollars, which I am guessing you did, with a questionable seller I would avoid the subject as well. Your silence on the subject speaks volumes. I have only about 15k tied up in graded cards, not much I know, but several were purchased from the questionable source. I was only seeking advice/guidance from someone who had a little bit more knowledge on the subject at hand.

Regards.
    The "Troll"
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim, I wish you luck in pursuing your dream. I think it is a great idea and I would love to view the collection in person. I only wish I could have attended one of your parties in which you extended invitations to the board members.
  • I guess we can see the motivations of the two trolls here--no names given and using a post about changing my name on the sets and opening a card museum at some point to try to say I might have spent a thousanth of one percent of what I spent on cards with a seller who has been suspended by ebay for altering cards.

I think I've seen this movie before.

For the rest, thank you for all of your generous comments. Downtown1974--you and anyone else are welcome to come to my home and see my collection at any time. If I have an open party soon at my home, I will announce it here.

Cheers,

Jim
    Troll,
    I believe Jim finds it very odd, like myself, on why you are posting about this matter when we have never seen you post on this board before. I realize that you have 35 contributions on the message board, but I don't see how Jim can win by answering your question.

Regards,
    Shane
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I'm coming to KrissKriss' defense here - not many posts, but I think he chooses his posts rather selectively. He has said some good things in the past. I just don't think he's one of those guys who posts several times a day. I think his request is legitimate here, and doesn't deserve the name-calling.

Don't lump him in with Burrito Jimmy.
  • Hammered,

Trolls can be smart people. There is one particular collector who is smart that is rumored to have several alternative ids.

He won't give his name and he won't give specific questions but he somehow pulls out of the air that I spent thousands with a particular seller--interesting.

jim

Hammered
    You can tell when a person is trying to add value when he posts and when he is trying to stir trouble. Just because you don't post everyday doesn't mean you don't have something to contribute to a certain subject. Time will tell with this guy. I find it funny how Jim and I post our names at the bottom of our posts and you and the Troll do not.

Shane
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Here ya go

Matt
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim,

Good luck with your "dream". I just read a PSA interview with you and it was very interesting.

I live in St. James, NY, which is not too far from your old stomping grounds.

Stay Healthy!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Thanks for the defense Hammered..... I told you in an earlier post that we could exchange PMs with my personal information, again why you need to know that information is beyond me. If you dont want to touch this subject, then just say so. If you know this guy and can vouch for him, then say so. Seeing that I own about 1k in cards from him, it is a concern I have and Im sure many other here on the board have. Calling me " A Troll" is how you respond instead of answering a legitimate request I had. You are trying to turn this around on me instead of rendering an opinion. I dont have anything to hide from anybody, in fact I have done a few transactions on these boards without a hitch.

Regards,
    The Troll

"I don't have anything to hide from anybody"

Except for your name--nobody with a brain believes your story--

what is the thrill you get in being a troll?
  • MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

I think opening up a Card Museum is a great idea! And since I am in the Atlanta area as well, it would be a great place to showcase my more modern "TGF Collection". At least they would be safe among your thousands of more expensive vintage wonders!

Cheers,
    Michael
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jim

Hi. fwiw Kris did offer to PM you his personal info.

Keep up the good work.

As for Burrito Jimmy he is harmless.

he actually has been spot on in some cases too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Michael,

Great! Please send me your e-mail and let me know where you live so I can be in touch with you when the time is right.

Steve,

Hasn't happened yet image. If those two are who I think they are they are pretty smart guys--but they are trolls....so a number of other readers tell me.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jim

Don't believe everything that you are told.

Also, IMO Kris (who is a good guy btw) after trying to give you his info via PM was rebuffed by you

and thus that may be why it was never sent.

Steve

Good for you.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Jim--

I think your idea to name your collection after your name is a good one. You have gone far beyond mere collecting and will be (are) considered a hobby legend. Not trying to blow smoke -- just being honest. When we get as far as you have gotten our collection should be identified with us. Some day, if my kids do not want it, I hope to sell my collection and have it identified with my name also. Kudos to you. Far from being all about money, it is truly a ton of work. Good Luck, Doc!

Manny
  • Great idea Jim for a super collection, if your dream becomes a reality count me in for a trip to Atlanta to see it.

On the other two posters I agree with Steve and I dont think they are trolls either but I don't get people who will not post there names on a baseball card collecting forum, I just don't see the risk. Thats one of the reason I like Net54 and FC because you know who you are talking to.
  • I'm starting my trek now to see this AWESOME collection. It would be neat to have different wings to show off different collectors and collections. Also an example of each so people could see the progression of cards and baseball thru the years.

I'll sell my collection to get there image

James
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Jim, I've only been serious about collecting for the last two years as I was one of those kids that grew up in the hayday of 87 Topps, 88 Score and 89 Upper Deck. Once out of highschool, I abandoned the hobby and sold everything I had. I picked it back up in July 2007 and once I found my way to the CU Boards (Aug 2008) immediately noticed your collections under the Davillo name. I have been an admirer of your collection, and try to bench mark my stuff against yours, as we have a couple sets in common (Clemente, Musial Basic and Post War HOFer's).

I think the name change on the set registry and the Museum aspirations are both fantastic ideas. I live in Charlotte and would be more than happy to extend any and all support I can, to see the "Vintage Card Museum" go from idea to reality. Let me know how I can assist.

mbmiller25@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Matt Miller
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Jim
    That is great news I cannot wait for it. I will most likely be in Buford GA within the next year(hoping by spring 2010) and
    can and will help with any of the grunt work. I have no money but if you need any help LMK.
    johnbouffard@sbcglobal.net

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Likely in the Atlanta area. >>

My wife and I will come there when we retire here in Michigan. We would love to move to the Atlanta area.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Leaving tomorrow for Atlanta on my 8 hp scooter. Will see you in about 2 years.
  • Manny,

"a hobby legend"--thanks but thats a bit strong.

Smtjoy,

Exactly--posting under a name that noone knows who you are is a cowardly thing to do. I hope you come to Georgia when the time is right.

Jamesgottpoorman,

Thats exactly the plan. One room for prewar baseball, one for 50s, one for 60s and later, one for football, one for basketball, one for hockey and other sports and one for non-sports. Its set up that way in my house now in one large room.

Matt,

I will keep that in mind. My home is actually north of Atlanta so not as far as you might think.

Good luck on the Clemente and Musial sets.

John,

If that is by Buford Dam, its only 30 minutes from my home. Its also on the way to see the Gwinnett Braves.

I will definately be contacting you.

Stingray,

Some beautiful areas in Georgia--keep me posted.

Thanks to all--now I have to get back to completing my sets and I hope to have one additional and perhaps two to announce soon.

Jim