Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Please help me fight cancer *UPDATE* Goal hit!! Now over $3K!!

Friends of CU,

Please lend me your ear image

I hope all is well and y'all had a great Labor Day weekend.

As most of you know, I'm training for the Austin LIVESTRONG Challenge on October 25th, which benefits the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF). I will take on the 90-mile route, one of Lance's favorite local training rides:

Map of route

My goal is not just to participate in the LIVESTRONG Challenge, but to raise $2,500 to help further the LAF's mission of inspiring and empowering people affected by cancer. To reach this goal, I need your help and generosity. My last fundraising efforts were extremely successful; with your generous donations, we raised $3,670 for the Multiple Sclerosis Society (MS150). Due to the uncertainty of our economy, my fundraising goals going forward will be $1,000 for the MS150 and $2,500 for the LIVESTRONG Challenge. While the MS150 is an important and worthy charity, cancer research is a cause very close to my heart.

This year, it is estimated that 28 million worldwide will be living with cancer. Although there is no cure, progress has been made and it is vital that we continue to work, to fight, toward beating this disease. It is time that we make a commitment to close the gap between what we know and what we do. Within your lifetime, someone you love will be directly or indirectly affected by cancer. Unfortunately, I've already had the experience as both of my Grandfathers passed away due to cancer.

If you want to support my efforts fighting this deadly disease, please donate at my webpage: CLICK ME, POR FAVOR!!!

Please feel free to forward this or post it on your Facebook/Twitter/Social Network group because every donation makes a difference!

Finally, please take a moment and watch the following commercial:

LINK - Racing Against Cancer

I sincerely appreciate your time and do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

LIVESTRONG!

Barry / stown

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Barry,

Wishing you the best with your ride.

I have 46 days left until The Marine Corps Marathon!

Thanks again for your donation.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Jesus, you want more money!!

I just finished explaining to my wife the thank you note from the bike riding guy in tight shorts.

Her - "Honey, why is a man from Texas in spandex sending you a thank you?"

Me - "Uh, you may not understand sweetheart."

Check your donation list. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Keith and Robert for your generous donations and thank you Doug for the well wishes.

I seriously considered doing the auction and bake thing again but to be perfectly honest, it just got to be waaaaay too much. Not just time and money... I'll put it this way, I didn't major in event planning for a reason image

So to those who are expecting something, other than knowing you did a great thing, I say this: You'll get nothing and like it!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Barry, I just posted this on another thread not knowing you just created this thread! (i.e., "OT Can a message board know where you're posting from?" thread LOL!)

Just too funny! Boy! Timing is everything!

Figured I'd re-post it here anyway! LOL!

"....I just wanted to mention and praise you for your past cancer "bike ride" fundraising trip across Texas! Your thread with all those pictures was one of the coolest threads ever posted here!

The generosity of many here and the efforts of individuals like you Barry, makes me proud that I hung here on these threads for some years now!

Your upcoming LIVESTRONG CHALLANGE (coming-up October 25th), part of the Lance Armstrong Foundation; I'm sure many here will help you hit your fundraising goal.

I was shut-out on your last drive, and I made sure to mark the LIVESTRONG CHALLANGE down, so I would not miss the chance to make a donation to such a wonderful cause and to recognize you efforts.

I just made my meager donation, and I'm sure others will follow suite here!!!

I hope you can set-up a thread for this and others here can be made aware just how image the LIVESTRONG CHALLANGE will be, and hope you also post pictures like you did the last time. (YOU DID! THIS ONE ALREADY! LOL!)

Things are tough but we all dig deep and come up with a little something. Barry's "Help Barry To Fight Cancer Link"

Have fun Barry!...."

rd

imageimageimageimageHeavy Fuel imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageWho Knows? imageimageimageimage
  • Options

Awesome, another feel good thread.

Coolness image
  • Options
    Thank you, Matt, for your generous donation.

Also, a friendly reminder that all money donated goes directly to the LIVESTRONG Foundation. I do not see a penny of it, period.

A heartfelt thank you to all that have donated and voiced their support.

• Options
    image for the weekend crew.

And since I don't want to just bump the thread...

My life, in addition to normal work hours, for the next 7 weeks:

Mon: Spin class
    Tues: Yoga or rest
    Wed: Spin
    Thurs: Rest or go for a 50+ mile ride
    Fri: Spin
    Sat: Spin or go for a 70+ mile ride
    Sun: Spin, ride 50+, or go to Texans game (if at home)

So there you have it; say so long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, and goodbye to my social life. Is this a little crazy just to ride my tri-kie in the Hill Country? Damm right it is BUT the money I raise is going to a great cause and I don't mind making the physical and social sacrifice. You see, I over-trained for the MS150, though it really wasn't too tough (even though the first day was cancelled). This route, on the other hand, is freaking BRUTAL... As someone said to me the other day, "Dude, you think Lance's favorite ride is going to be easy?!? PFHT!" We roll out at 8 and I have to be at the cutoff point by 11, which in theory, shouldn't be an issue (12+ mph, including stops). However, I then have a clibing elevation of 2,700 feet! Uh, oh-freakin-poopoo.

So if you're second guessing of making a generous donation, please take a moment and think about what I'm doing (which doesn't include out of pocket expenses for hotel rooms, gas, bike repair/maintenance, entry fees, etc.). However, as Lance likes to say, "It isn't about me", it's about cancer research and the individuals that benefit from LAF funds.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Added to your fund!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    My Uncle is going under the knife today. He has battled colon and kidney cancer for the last year and a half. At one point last November they were going to stop treatment because his body couldn't take any more. He was under hospice care, and if anyone has had experience with hospice, that is usually the last step. During that time I went to visit him in Maryland (I live in Ohio) to spend some time with him, thinking it would be a goodbye. He was down to 89lbs (usually 160lbs). He made a promise to me that he would not only be doing better, but he would make the drive out to Ohio for my wedding in February. He made that trip, and that was as special to me as it was marrying my wife. He has been fighting so hard to get better, taking his body and soul to the very limit with each treatment.

Treatment after treatment and he has finally gotten to the point where his tumors have shrunk enough to safely remove them. Today he is having surgery to remove what's left of his tumors, and to reconstruct his lower digestive tract. I can't think of anything else today, so I thought I would share this with you.

Barry, I gave a little to your fund today, in honor of my Uncle. I only wish I could give more. Thank you very much for your efforts in fighting this disease.
  • Options
    Thank you Troy, Jeff, and Steve for your generous donations.

Jeff, my thoughts and prayers go to you and your family. Stay strong, my friend!
  • Options
    Thank you Barry, I appreciate that.
  • Options
    Jeff ... Please know that your uncle is in my prayers!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    And a thank you in advance to Chris (aka RITM) for his generous donation.

• Options
    No pressure at all there Barry, but we're all really counting on you. image
  • Options

<< <i>And a thank you in advance to Chris (aka RITM) for his generous donation.

image >>

More than happy to help. The money order went out this afternoon.

Blessings on those directly impacted and thanks to those doing what they can to help.
  • Options
    A HUGE thank you to Trent (nightcrawler) for his extremely generous donation, which put me at the half way mark!

Mucho gracias, mi amigo!

And a thank you in advance to Rogermnj.

Feel the love!

• Options
    The money that was raised as a gift for me for the first group submission is being donated here. I had previously indicated that it was being donated to Barry's MS150 ride a while back, but once Barry saw he was reaching his goal, we discussed holding out and putting the money toward his Livestrong ride. Many people saved grading fees by participating in the first group sub and I was grateful that many of them saw it fit to send some money my way. Grateful as I was, I didn't feel it was necessary, so I decided to do something good with the money. I bumped up the amount a bit and made it an even $300. That money will be donated here before the deadline.

With that said...I've got a challenge.

There were 65 participants in the second group sub, with a total of 2,176 cards in the order. If everyone who participated in the second group submission donates just ONE DOLLAR for each card they sent in, that's $2,176 for a VERY worthwhile charity.

If you gave money to the pool of funds that rbdjr1 collected for me, again, I thank you!! Know that your money went to a great cause. Now I'm asking that people check their pockets again. Not for me...but for Barry. The guy busts his hump (literally...but hopefully not on a banana seat) to raise money for charities he believes in.

Let's all chip in and help Barry reach his goal!!
  • Options
    Thank you, Craig, I sincerely appreciate your help and generosity.

• Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    bump
  • Options
    $880 to go!

• Options
    BTW - I promise to take down my very annoying sig animated thing-a-ma-gig once I fit the goal.

Believe me, it's getting on my nerves as well.. However, you gotta do what you gotta do!

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    No pressure at all there Barry, but we're all really counting on you... Wish you luck. image
  • Options
    A HUGE thank you to Trent (aka nightcrawler) for another generous donation.

I don't care what others say, you Canadians are good people in my book.

Only $680 to go!!

• Options
    Here are some pictures of recent training rides:

From the Hotter 'n Hell Hundred, a 103-mile ride in Wichita Falls with 14,000+ of my closest buddies. That's me in the St. Arnold jersey (hey, if I'm going to be a riding billboard, might as well endorse something I like).

And some other random shots:

• Options
    Just wanted to image the thread for the following announcements.

1) Again, I greatly appreciate this board's generosity. I don't care what others say, the posters here are good people.

2) Only $444 to go!

3) If you're paying by check, please have it postmarked by 10/12 (that's next Monday).

4) I am willing, able, and ready to kick this challenge's arse!

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    pm sent

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Is this your urine test?

• Options

<< <i>pm sent >>

PM replied, thank you so much for your generous donation, swartz!!

<< <i>Is this your urine test? >>

HA! You're actually not the first to suggest it..

At the HHH's 98-mile rest stop, they had kegs of beer (which is something I've never seen before):

It was a reward for those who made it that far in the ride. Yes, they actually were encouraging drinking and riding.

So I downed two, got back on my bike, and finished with a slight buzz.

Good times.

• Options
    Because of gumbyfan's (aka Craig) extreme generosity, I'm now over $2,500!

Here's the email just received from LAF and since y'all were so generous, wanted to share:

Congratulations on reaching your fundraising goal! We admire your determination and your commitment to the Lance Armstrong Foundation's mission to inspire and empower people who have been impacted by cancer.

Please extend our gratitude to your donors and let them know that every dollar counts - together, we are improving the lives of people affected by cancer. Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Need a new fundraising tool? The Lance Armstrong Foundation has developed a tool that helps you raise funds through Facebook. By adding the LIVESTRONG Challenge Fundraising™ application to your Facebook page, you can easily extend your fundraising efforts to your networks of friends. Get started now.

Sincerely,
    The LIVESTRONG Challenge Team
    www.livestrongchallenge.org
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great job Barry and everyone else!!

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    image Barry

Outstanding work Barry, thanks for your many efforts. image
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I'm finishing up my supporter list. PMs send to FarveFan (Troy) and RITM (Chris). Also, will a Robert D...s (name shortened for obvious reasons and I don't know your screen name) please send me a PM with your contact info.

And just for an update, I'm headed to Austin this weekend for my last two training rides. The Outlaw 100 on Saturday and a group ride with Mellow Johnny's (that is Lance Armstrong's bike shop) on Sunday.

Thanks!

B
  • Options
    I still need Robert D...s contact information, please. If anyone knows who this is, please make him aware or shoot me a PM.

Headed up to Austin tomorrow and then rolling out Sunday morning. Will post pics on Tues or Wed, unless supporters want to post updated pics during the ride.

Thank you again for y'alls gernerosity. As of this morning, I'm just shy of $3k.

Good times!

• Options
    Even though I've seen this video at least a dozen times, my lower lip quivers everytime I watch it.

YouTube Link

• Options

<< <i>Even though I've seen this video at least a dozen times, my lower lip quivers everytime I watch it.

YouTube Link

image >>

That commercial made me shiver. The mask stabilizer from the first scene is used for radiation treatments. I disposed of my mask but dam, that brought back memories.

Kick some A$$ Barry!
  • Options

<< <i>That commercial made me shiver. The mask stabilizer from the first scene is used for radiation treatments. I disposed of my mask but dam, that brought back memories.

Kick some A$$ Barry! >>

Troy,

It's because of people like you that give others hope. In the grand scheme of things, I'm mearly a spec and just doing what I can to help.

As for a$$es being kicked, mine got a whooping last week. 73 miles on Saturday and then did the "Dam Loop" with MJ's group. Little did I know that Sunday's brual 50+mile ride was not intended for recovery. Couldn't catch my breath on two inclines but somehow, someway, kept up with the pace. To be perfectly honest, got a little nervous about the LSC, so I asked the leader for her honest opinion. If I didn't hit the 37 mile mark within 3 hours, worst case I could easily to the 63 (or something) route.

She looked me in the eye, smiled, and said, "Don't worry, you're good to go."

PS - Now over $3 freaking K!

w00t!
  • Options
    Congrats on a great ride Barry. I was a little worried when you were pulling through the hills, but you brought it home like a champ. The updates were really cool, thanks.

edit fer spellin
  • Options
    The updates were great. I think I freaked him out when I sent him a text page while he was on his bike
  • Options
    Barry ... your ride was yesterday? WOW, so was my Marathon (The Marine Corps in DC). Looks like the two of us (along with our supporters) raised about $7,000.00 to help find a cure for Cancer. I so hope that it happens during our lives.

As the father and husband of two Cancer survivors, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for what you have done/are doing to help find a cure.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>The updates were great. I think I freaked him out when I sent him a text page while he was on his bike >>

HA! Funny you mention that. My phone was going nuts the entire time, so I had to put in on silent. Whenever I stopped, would quickly glance to see if I got something from the person I was riding with or if there was an emergency. Not until the end did I scan through for requests. If I were to guess, probably got 75 emails, calls, and/or texts during the ride from supporters and friends. Having said that, only four asked about the beer; one being Troy image

<< <i>Barry ... your ride was yesterday? WOW, so was my Marathon (The Marine Corps in DC). Looks like the two of us (along with our supporters) raised about $7,000.00 to help find a cure for Cancer. I so hope that it happens during our lives.

As the father and husband of two Cancer survivors, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for what you have done/are doing to help find a cure. >>

That's awesome! How did you do?!? And while I appreciate it, don't thank me... Thank my supporters and LAF for making this possible. It was truly an amazing and inspiring experience, which I'll elaborate on and post pictures later today.

Thanks again to everyone for their generosity and support!

PS to rbdjr1 - PM sent and I sincerely apologize for not recognizing your name/alias. Oooops...
  • Options

More -> here
  • Options

<< <i>My Uncle is going under the knife today. He has battled colon and kidney cancer for the last year and a half. At one point last November they were going to stop treatment because his body couldn't take any more. He was under hospice care, and if anyone has had experience with hospice, that is usually the last step. During that time I went to visit him in Maryland (I live in Ohio) to spend some time with him, thinking it would be a goodbye. He was down to 89lbs (usually 160lbs). He made a promise to me that he would not only be doing better, but he would make the drive out to Ohio for my wedding in February. He made that trip, and that was as special to me as it was marrying my wife. He has been fighting so hard to get better, taking his body and soul to the very limit with each treatment.

Treatment after treatment and he has finally gotten to the point where his tumors have shrunk enough to safely remove them. Today he is having surgery to remove what's left of his tumors, and to reconstruct his lower digestive tract. I can't think of anything else today, so I thought I would share this with you.

Barry, I gave a little to your fund today, in honor of my Uncle. I only wish I could give more. Thank you very much for your efforts in fighting this disease. >>

Thought I would bump this thread with an update on my Uncle. He just got the results back from his latest CT scan today, and I'm happy to report he's cancer free! I'm really quite blown away by all of this. I can't even think of anything else to say, besides you can never give up on this thing. I think my cousin said it best... "Ladies and gentlemen, this is my father, Roger J. Colburn. He punched cancer straight in the face, then called it a nancy-boy and stole its lunch money." I Love my Family. image
  • Options
    Jeff ... THAT IS AWESOME! So glad to hear that your Uncle has kicked Cancer's azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! GOD BLESS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Freaking great news, Jeff!

• Options
    Very Nice!!!!