Home Metal Detecting
Options

Thinking about digging.

I'm thinking about starting in the hobby. I have tried it with a friends, and I really liked it. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, just in case I lose intrest. Any ideas on a reasonable detector that can help me get started. Brands, Models, and any other advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to a metal detecting store they will sometimes have used ones at a reasonable price that you might want to try.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard a lot of good reviews from the Garrett ACE 250. It's rather inexpensive (looks like around $215 on eBay and if you use BING cashback you'll save another $20). Although I don't own one, they say it's one of the best machines for the money. And with a summer or two of detecting, I'm fairly certain it will pay for itself.

Just a warning, it's a fairly addictive hobby!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ace 250 is a great starter machine...and some people just use it all the time, for years. Good product. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I'm thinking about starting in the hobby. I have tried it with a friends, and I really liked it. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, just in case I lose intrest. Any ideas on a reasonable detector that can help me get started. Brands, Models, and any other advice greatly appreciated. >>

I actually have been looking at the Ace 250, believing that Garrett is one of the better names.
  • Options

<< <i>I've heard a lot of good reviews from the Garrett ACE 250. It's rather inexpensive (looks like around $215 on eBay and if you use BING cashback you'll save another $20). Although I don't own one, they say it's one of the best machines for the money. And with a summer or two of detecting, I'm fairly certain it will pay for itself.

Just a warning, it's a fairly addictive hobby! >>

I know what you mean. I had my friends for a couple of days, and hated to give it back. I stayed out until dark from about 8am both days.