Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting submission story

Well, sent 8 NGC/ANACS coins in for cross-over service for my new registry set.

One had a CAC sticker. The other 7 did not.

All crossed at the same grade, except the one with the CAC sticker.

Not sure I can draw any conclusions from this, but thought I would share.

For those following submission times, the coins were received on Aug 8th and posted today.

Here is the coin in question if anyone is interested. NGC calls it a 65.

Comments

• Options
    I LIKE IT!!!

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    So did the CAC coin upgrade or downgrade?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice to me. Did you use the economy tier?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

1891 Dime DNC.

This was the free submission that comes with membership.

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Hmmm! Interesting.

Very nice coin BTW!

If you have any questions I'm sure Don Willis
    would answer them if at all possible.image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, if a coin does not grade, you'll get a Genuine Slab with at least one reason for it not grading but for crossovers, no reason is ever given for it not crossing.

Perhaps they didn't like the surface? Maybe they thought it was a 64? Maybe they didn't like the toning?

The only real way to find out is to crack it and submit it but I don;t see that happening.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Must be a fluke. Everyone knows that CAC is better than PCGS!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You almost get the feeling PCGS doesn't like CAC.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    That could be the trick to getting NGC slabs to cross. Throw in one CAC certified slab and they'll cross all the others for spite.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.. I would have graded it 64, and a CAC sticker would seem to say they agreed with 65... will you resubmit? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    It's far more amazing that you went 7/7 on (un-CAC'd) NGC coins crossing at the same grade than the CAC coin not crossing IMHO.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately, if a coin does not grade, you'll get a Genuine Slab with at least one reason for it not grading; but for crossovers, no reason is ever given for it not crossing. >>

This is true. But it wasn't always. Shoot, only a year ago you'd get a cert sticker, with a cert number, on an empty flip that would say something like "min grade MS64".

I loved that practice as much as I hated the results. Lots of learning, lots of tuition.

I think PCGS felt it caused trouble too often. Particularly when they later saw the same coin raw and had to lower the grade even further. Oh boy, that's a fun message to deliver to the customer.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's far more amazing that you went 7/7 on (un-CAC'd) NGC coins crossing at the same grade than the CAC coin not crossing IMHO. >>

Agreed.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's far more amazing that you went 7/7 on (un-CAC'd) NGC coins crossing at the same grade than the CAC coin not crossing IMHO. >>

Must have selected them very, very dilegently.
  • Options

<< <i>I LIKE IT!!!

JT >>

imageimage
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Given the current environment I can only guess that perhaps they were too sure about the toning. It might have indicated a no-no to them. Nice coin and you must have a good eye to get receive so many cross-overs. image
  • Options
    Maybe they thought the green toning on the holder was artificial. image
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    You did very well getting 7 of 8 ANACS coins to cross at grade. The CAC coin has toning, that I think, maybe PCGS thought was iffy enough to bag it.

I have a batch of ANACS coins ready to submit for crossover. Since you did so well, this may be the time to ship.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

With all the recent news on crossover failures, I'm feeling a bit better.

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    You must be picking nice coins to get 7 to cross.

I still like the dime without crossing it.

Congrats on the results image

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file