Home Sports Talk
Options

National Champions!!!!! Roll Tide Roll!!!!

Comments

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    When can we officially change the name of the SEC Championship game to the National Championship game?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options

<< <i>When can we officially change the name of the SEC Championship game to the National Championship game? >>

It isn't official yet, but this years SEC Championship game will be the 4th National Champ game in a row.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Actually it's the national semi-final I believe.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>TRUE:

AP Top 25
    >>

Like I said, not true. He said "polls" not "poll". Two out of three have Florida at #1. >>

That's cute Bill, but I'm going off of the thread title which said we're #1 now. And this is an Alabama thread, you should redirect yourself to the Jamarcus Russell threads.
  • Options

<< <i>That's cute Bill, but I'm going off of the thread title which said we're #1 now. And this is an Alabama thread, you should redirect yourself to the Jamarcus Russell threads. >>

If you average out the 3 polls, Bama is #1.67 and Florida is #1.33

The Russell that plays for the Raiders is not the same Russel that played for LSU. I think the real Russell was kidnapped by aliens and he is currently the starting QB for the Monstars from Space Jam.
  • Options
    Russell is from my home city and I remember the hype and disappointment when he went to LSU. If you watch the Raiders play, he is obviously not in great shape, has either a terrible QB coach or has no ability to learn how to properly move his feet, has a horrible offensive line that can't consistently give him a couple of seconds to look down the field without having to move in or completely out of the pocket, and the receivers suck as a whole.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I only saw him play once. It was the 05 SEC championship in ATL and he looked lost. Other than not moving his feet well, I think he was unable to move one of his shoulders very well after some UGA kid jacked him up.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i> has a horrible offensive line that can't consistently give him a couple of seconds to look down the field without having to move in or completely out of the pocket, and the receivers suck as a whole. >>

That is what seperates a good QB from a bad one. Without a good OL, you are doomed.
  • Options
    All I can say it that we won. Bama's QB is looking real shaky, however it did not help that our 6'7" TE was injuried during pregame warm ups. Colin Peek is our leading receiver and McCelroy's security blanket.

Eric Berry should be wearing crimson, he's a good one.

Mt. Cody proved pivotal,2 blocked FG's.

One week off then we host the Tigers from LSU, should be worth the price of admission.

Roll Tide Roll!
  • Options
    You have to win close games, something Bama didn't do in the past few years, and we are doing now. Anyone who knows college football should know that anytime you can beat Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, or Auburn, it is a good week. A win is a win is a win.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭✭
    Still, you were cutting it kinda close, weren't you?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    The off week will help the tide.

UT had an off week before this game, and had a great game against Georgia.
    Not suprised it was close. Bama needs to rest a bit here and get ready for the 2nd half of the season.
  • Options

<< <i>Still, you were cutting it kinda close, weren't you? >>

Facts:

Your team is 4-3 and hoping for a bowl game.

You wish you could beat Tennessee.

Your better off waiting for basketball.
  • Options
    AP Top 25
    RK TEAM RECORD PTS
    1 Florida (30) 7-0 1463
    2 Alabama (23) 8-0 1448
    3 Texas (7) 7-0 1407
    4 USC 6-1 1217
    5 Cincinnati 7-0 1211
    6 Boise State 7-0 1177
    7 Iowa 8-0 1148
    8 TCU 7-0 1132
    9 LSU 6-1 1040
    10 Oregon 6-1 933
  • Options
    just like you put the poll up again, I will say it yet again. We all know this means nothing until the SEC championship game is played, that team will be #1 and play for the national championship.

Jefferson played a great game and is looking pretty impressive for LSU, that is going to be a tough one.
  • Options

<< <i>Jefferson played a great game and is looking pretty impressive for LSU >>

He finally showed yesterday why he was so highly recruited. LSU actually controls their own destiny too. If they win out, they are in the BCS title game again.
  • Options
    This is why I love the SEC, there are no foregone conculsions here!
  • Options
    Alabama needs to score more touchdowns when they get in the red zone. If they don't, they can forgot playing for a national championship!
  • Options
    LSU doesn't have a prayer IMO. Don't they have to beat Bama, Ole Miss, and Florida to make it to the national championship game ?

I think LSU has a good team, but they're not an elite team this year IMO.
  • Options

<< <i>Alabama needs to score more touchdowns when they get in the red zone. If they don't, they can forgot playing for a national championship! >>

Bama doesn't score their touchdowns from the red zone. They usually like to get them from 30+ yards out.

Their defense is going to win them games, not their offense. Special teams are pretty good too.
  • Options
    Looks like Lane Kiffen got another smackdown. Here's a quote from the SEC commish

"Coach Kiffin has violated the Southeastern Conference Code of Ethics," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said. "SEC Bylaw 10.5.4 clearly states that coaches, players and support personnel shall refrain from all public criticism of officials."

"This is the second reprimand for Coach Kiffin in this calendar year. Coach Kiffin is on notice that for any further violations of SEC policies will subject him to additional penalties including suspension."

• Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Ohio State's 2002 Record

Being a Buckeye fan, I know you don't have to blow out the competition. Just check the scores of the National Champs that season to realize you only need the W. Sometimes luck plays into winning a championship and if Bama beats Florida and the other SEC competition even by a point they will deserve to be in the National Championship. Then they need one more win. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck to all teams.

Scott
  • Options
    Dropped to third in latest AP poll. Seems about right to me. Our O has sputtered over the last 2 games.

We play LSU on saturday, that will be a very telling game, I just hope that I like the tale it tells.
  • Options
    I have sent my wife and daughters to B'ham for the day. A little mall shopping, then some Olive Garden, then a little Disney on ice, followed by big heaping serving of spending the night with Nana. As for myself, its 9:41 and we are on beer number two, or as I call it, Game-day breakfast.

Roll Tide Roll!!!!!!

I'm a little nervous about this one

This game is always a nail biter. I don't even want to remember how close it was last year, overtime
  • Options
    Alabama 24 - LSU 15

We got a little help on a interception at the end, but we put a physical beat down on LSU. Many LSU players will be sore tommorow.

Our offence looks better, our D is nasty.
  • Options
    Pathetic gameplan in my opinion to start the game. You physically dominate every team so far with our power running game and decide somehow not to even try that the first half and go with a shotgun passing attack?? There were receivers and tight ends wide open on nearly every play, especially the seam routes down the middle of the field, and McElroy was lackluster in finding people, nevermind the interception and missing Julio on the touchdown(there was the tight end right in the middle of the field wide open too and a much easier throw).

How hard is it to figure out to run Ingram, run the out routes to the tight ends, hit Julio on a quick screen or on a comeback route, and look for Maze on a deep cross or go route. But most importantly, run the friggin ball, that is what makes it all happen.

LSU has tons of talent as usual, but just seems a tad lacking in having the 3 and 4 deep super RB's that they can normally throw at you, and either their O-line is a bit less talented than usual(their D-line definitely isn't) or our D-line is that good. It's unfortunate Scott got hurt, which was another lucky break for Bama, because he was turning the game around at that point.

That was clearly an interception and Bama should take this win and be very happy. I am
  • Options

<< <i>Pathetic gameplan in my opinion to start the game. >>

Not true. If Bama came out running, LSU would have stuffed 9. Starting the game with the pass kept the linebackers honest, instead
    of totally committed to the run.

Bama was lucky that Jefferson and Scott went down. Lee just isn't hitting the mark, and Bama could have lost if
    Lee wasn't in there.

No way Bama beats Florida this year IMO. Tebow will outplay McElroy and win it for the Gators. The only way Bama wins is
    if Saban goes with Richardson and Ingram in the backfield at the same time, and only throws the ball no more then 10 times.
    He needs to go wildcat against Florida to win. No way McElroy beats Florida by himself.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Pathetic gameplan in my opinion to start the game. >>

Not true. If Bama came out running, LSU would have stuffed 9. Starting the game with the pass kept the linebackers honest, instead
    of totally committed to the run.

Bama was lucky that Jefferson and Scott went down. Lee just isn't hitting the mark, and Bama could have lost if
    Lee wasn't in there.

No way Bama beats Florida this year IMO. Tebow will outplay McElroy and win it for the Gators. The only way Bama wins is
    if Saban goes with Richardson and Ingram in the backfield at the same time, and only throws the ball no more then 10 times.
    He needs to go wildcat against Florida to win. No way McElroy beats Florida by himself. >>

I'm glad you are psychic, but your magic 8 ball is a bit off here. LSU stuffed the box when we did start running and it still didn't work, I'm not sure what game you thought you were watching.
  • Options

Bama averages 213 yards per game in the run.

Being that Bama had 176 yards rushing yesterday, I guess LSU's stuffing the run didn't work ?
    Looks like LSU's D held Bama's run game not only in Bama's own backyard, but after Bama had a bye week
    and was well rested.

Your problem is with McElroy being inaccurate. The game plan was perfect. Bama would have been up by 14+ at
    halftime if McElroy didn't stink up the joint. There were many open receivers for possible big gains.

However, Bama did average 4.6 on the ground, so they could have probably made first downs all half long if they
    ran the ball.

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bama averages 213 yards per game in the run.

Being that Bama had 176 yards rushing yesterday, I guess LSU's stuffing the run didn't work ?
    Looks like LSU's D held Bama's run game not only in Bama's own backyard, but after Bama had a bye week
    and was well rested.

Your problem is with McElroy being inaccurate. The game plan was perfect. Bama would have been up by 14+ at
    halftime if McElroy didn't stink up the joint. There were many open receivers for possible big gains.

However, Bama did average 4.6 on the ground, so they could have probably made first downs all half long if they
    ran the ball. >>

'Bama used a nice gift from the refs, as well...much like the Tennesse game. But you forget these things, right?
  • Options
    It wouldn't have mattered. If the interception had been correctly called, LSU would have turned the ball over in four downs.

No way was Lee going to score a TD against our D. LSU's O-line was as pourous as a sponge by the end of the fourth quarter.

I'm concerned about Miss St, I would hate to see a let down this late in the season
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It wouldn't have mattered. If the interception had been correctly called, LSU would have turned the ball over in four downs. >>

I guess it feels good to assume that so someone doesn't think a bad call decided the game, and while it's likely true we don't know that for sure.

The bottom line is that officials shouldn't be tied to a conference any more. There's just too much BCS money involved and too much incentive for conferences to get teams in the top 2 of the final standings. I'm not saying I think the fix is in, but why allow even the appearance of it? Every time a bogus call or non-call goes in favor of Florida or Alabama in a critical close and late situation, it will just add fuel to the fire.
  • Options
    LSU only had 9 yards off offence in the fourth quarter. They were physically whipped by that point in the game.

I think that it should have been overturned and that it should have been LSU's ball. With the way that Bama was getting penatration, I do not believe that they would have got a first down.

• Options

<< <i>

'Bama used a nice gift from the refs, as well...much like the Tennesse game. But you forget these things, right? >>

Nor do we forget the calls the Steelers got in their superbowl wins. Refs must have wanted the Steelers too, right ?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

'Bama used a nice gift from the refs, as well...much like the Tennesse game. But you forget these things, right? >>

Nor do we forget the calls the Steelers got in their superbowl wins. Refs must have wanted the Steelers too, right ? >>

Look, the debate over questionable ref calls does get old (believe me, I hear about the Steelers all the time, and it pisses you off), so I should have not even brought it up, but as one poster above mentioned, at least use refs that aren't tied to the SEC. I probably brought the debate up due to my disdain for Meyer and Saban!
  • Options
    It was an interception, I don't think anyone is arguing that. Would it have changed the outcome, probably not as CrimsonTider pointed out.

I feel there is alot of back room deals to keep the BCS crap going on instead of the obvious playoff solution that seems like a no brainer. I don't agree however that the refs are trying to intentionally create the Florida-Alabama undefeated showdown. If there were, there were a few calls that the refs should have called and didn't in the game that would have really helped Bama even more. There was a pass to the flat by LSU that another player was clearly holding on right in front of the refs, and a couple of no calls of blatant holding by LSU's right tackle right in front of the back judge that went uncalled.

I really just think that several of the SEC crews are subpar or have several subpar officials on their crew, I don't buy into the big conspiracy there.
  • Options
    CBS ran its first promo ad for the SEC Championship game yesterday. The ad was akin to one that would be created for a undisputed heavywieght championship fight with a little WWE thrown in for effect. IT was awesome! I think my pulse rate doubled after seeing it and for some reason I wanted to start doing push ups while listening to the Rocky theme.

10-0 and looking good. The D is one of our all-time best. I would have loved to been able to see Rolando and Hightower play side by side for an entire season.

As good as Ingram is, which is extremely good, I think that Trent Richardson has more potential. No slight to Ingram, because Alabama may have two Heisman winners in the backfield.

Phil Simm's boy has commited to play at Bama next year. I hope Phil's genes pass down like Archie's did.
  • Options

<< <i>As good as Ingram is, which is extremely good, I think that Trent Richardson has more potential. No slight to Ingram, because Alabama may have two Heisman winners in the backfield.q]

I'm glad your finally seeing what I did on his first two carries image He will break all the records rushing if he stays long enough.
  • Options
    Always like a shutout. Held the Mocs to under a 100 yards of O.

Arenas returned a punt return TD. 40 yards from all-ime SEC leader in punt return yardage and a little over 100 yards from breaking Wes Welkers college record for most career punt return yards. Way to go Javier! That's Gilbert's cousin.

Next up, Auburn!!!!

I HATE AUBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Games like this are such a gross mismatch it is embarassing for both teams to even be on the same field.
  • Options

<< <i>Games like this are such a gross mismatch it is embarassing for both teams to even be on the same field. >>

Your right, giving that team a chance to earn some needed financial help to their athletic department, what are people thinking.

What's next, Michigan playing Appalachian State.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chattanooga? I thought the cupcakes were supposed to be early season games.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Games like this are such a gross mismatch it is embarassing for both teams to even be on the same field. >>

Your right, giving that team a chance to earn some needed financial help to their athletic department, what are people thinking.

What's next, Michigan playing Appalachian State. >>

ZING image
  • Options
    I expect McElroy to play a subpar game against Auburn, keeping the game closer then it should be.

Alabama 21 Auburn 13

• Options
    Down goes Auburn! Down goes Auburn!

Any victory against Auburn is a sweet one, especially when it happens in Jordan-Hare! Suck on that one cow-college!!!!!!!!!!

Now we have one week and one day to prepare for the national championship game in Atlanta. Texas, if they beat Neb., will not be able to stay on the field against either Alabama or Florida. Bama will have to play their best game of the year next Sat. to win. Its going to be one he%$ of a game!
  • Options
    Well, any win in the Iron Bowl is great. Auburn outcoached us in that one, they used their bye week to implement the new offensive scheme that had us off guard and they deserve alot of credit.

If we can't run the ball on Auburn, which I am not sure how committed we were after being stopped a few times, then we certainly will need a new wrinkle to move the ball against Florida.

I'm glad the Bama coaches finally listened to my talk of how Richardson will wind up better than Ingram. Trent has that burst to the line that you can't teach, and Ingram is a half a step slower which showed in the game and at least we were not too stubborn to stick with no gains and losses by Ingram.
  • Options
    Saban must have to have a few offensive tricks up his sleeve next week. If he doesn't, then Tebow will easily outduel McElroy.

Florida 28 Bama 24
  • Options
    It's gonna be another classic this Saturday - last year's game was incredible. I hope UF's O-line hold up as well as they did this past Saturday vs. FSU. If not, then 'Bama might win out.
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!
  • Options