Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dipping experts.. Can this finger print be removed?

Here's a nice Dpl 64 I think lower DPl 65 if the finger print wasn't there... So, to the dippers, can this finger print be removed by dipping?

FingerprintedMorgan

Comments

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I'm almost 100% certain that the fingerprint cannot be removed 100%. There will always be something there.

no wait.

I am 100% certain that the fingerprint can be 100% removed.
    And now it is time for you to buy that coin and find out for yourself.
    Posts in this thread are for entertainment purposes only and should not be used in any professional capacity.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Can you say "etched into the surface"?
  • Just a wild guess and I could be wrong, but if it could be removed, I'd think it would probably already be gone.
    Of course, you realize that all posters to this thread have just self-identified them as 'dipping experts'.

Leave it to TeleTrade to host junque like this.
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the complete and utter lack of toning, I would be willing to bet that it has already been attempted and this is the result.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on the complete and utter lack of toning, I would be willing to bet that it has already been attempted and this is the result. >>

I agree with that. It's in an NGC slab, for $50 bucks somebody probably already tried NCS.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a wild guess and I could be wrong, but if it could be removed, I'd think it would probably already be gone. >>

........i agree.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the coin has the lifeless look of something that's already been dipped in an attempt to remove said print...thus my answer is no, it cannot be removed by dipping. Frankly I am surprised NGC slabbed it.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Fingerprints on a coin like that are etched into the surface and cannot be removed by anything short of a grinder.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, IMO this coin wouldn't make 65 even sans fingerprint...due to the long thin scratch on the cheek (which I suspect is much more noticeable in hand). PS...Note the yellowish-gray appearance of the print...indicative of thiourea dipping.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    Hey, Yaha. Have I got an American Silver Eagle for you!

• That coin is not a 65 any day of the week. Its already in a 64 NGC holder so it would currently be a pcgs 63 probly. A 63 pcgs holder is just about where it should be based on that photo.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Hey, Yaha. Have I got an American Silver Eagle for you!

image >>

That's purrrty.. Thanks Adam..

<< <i>That coin is not a 65 any day of the week. Its already in a 64 NGC holder so it would currently be a pcgs 63 probly. A 63 pcgs holder is just about where it should be based on that photo. >>

Comon guys, fingerX removal won't do the trick?image

Also I don't see the scratch some are talking about.. I see it as hairlines after someone already nuked it.. Could be wrong, but again low 65 grade is always in a 64 slabber.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    To quote Rudy Bosch..........

" I don't know! "

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Not on that coin...
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George,
    Here's one that's well over 100 years old (in a GSA, 83cc)
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    You could use a belt sander or a grinder; all would do about the same amount of damage. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• 20 seconds in Ezest. followed by 2 squirts of mild sauce and wrapped in 3 Taco Bell napkins
    for 6 months should do the trick....

<< <i>George,
    Here's one that's well over 100 years old (in a GSA, 83cc)
    image >>

Ouch!!! Anyone ever wonder why someone would hold a coin that way..

Maybe Wild Bill Hickcocc grabed it while pinching a hooter of a Wild West lady during a card game..

Or maybe it was the lady putting her hand in the pants of the unsuspecting John and snatching the Morgan up when the deed was done.. That coin would probably have some great stories behind it's history..image
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be interesting to run those prints through codis or afis and see what comes up?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file