Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for the numismatic bibliophile: What is your preferred method of marking your books?

numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

For your library, do you use a personalized rubber stamp or do you prefer an embosser? Do you handwrite your name? Or do you prefer to not mark your books?

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a question for Longacre or Dentuck, not the unwashed masses. image
  • Options
    I do not mark my books.
  • Options

<< <i>This sounds like a question for Longacre or Dentuck, not the unwashed masses. image >>

The word is out that M. Longacre is collecting Pandas---if he ain't unwashed yet, he's gettin there mighty fast.image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I write my name in big letters with a sharpy on the edge of the pages.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    urine. always marks the spot.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    > The word is out that Mons. Longacre is collecting Pandas---if he ain't unwashed yet, he's gettin there mighty fast.image

LOL! The hoi polloi win again! Co-opting a gentleman of Mr. L's stature was surely no small acomplishment image
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I write the price paid, and maybe the purchase date in pencil lightly on the inside back cover or last leaf page at the top or bottom.
    Nothing else.

Krueger
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No marks...unless I lend them out then I write in pencil inside the cover or the back of the title page....

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone gave me an embosser, which I never use.

People who mark books should stand around the coin doctor firing squad to catch stray bullets.

Ask me what I really thinkimage
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    I was expecting a lot more "urine" answers, including mine.

marking?

small initial, deep inside fold of book, birthyear page.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This sounds like a question for Longacre or Dentuck, not the unwashed masses. image >>

So true. image

When I was in law school, I had a trusts and estates professor who had to be older than dirt. Some punk law student was in the class in the front row, and had highlighted various parts of the case book. In fact, he was using the highlighter in class. Like it was yesterday, I remember this aged professor picking up this guy's book, snatching the highlighter out of his hand, and holding it up in front of the class and announcing, "a highlighter is not a tool of a lawyer. You should never write in your books."

To this day, I never write in any book that I own, other than putting the date on the inside front cover (I am not sure why I do this, though). image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Ha! Smoked him out.

How 'bout them Pandas?image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writing in books is sacrilegious to me. I like my books in nice condition, even my working copies of value guides. If there is info I deem important, I'll take notes.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ha! Smoked him out.

How 'bout them Pandas?image >>

As a gentleman, Longacre will simply slap your cheek with a leather glove the next time I see you, rather than responding to your comment.

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I write ALL OVER my books. There are a few deluxe primo editions I won't touch but everything else is pretty much fair game.

Dick Johnson summed it up best - your best research resource is your own library.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the replies, even the ones suggesting urine as a means of marking my books. image

The reason that I ask is that my library is now easily accessible by other numismatists and I just know from experience that books, when borrowed, are sometimes inadvertently forgotten in another part of a building. Just thinking of a way to help keep track of my library. Historically, I have rarely marked in my books. The exception would be to correct errors in something like an Overton or Browning, and even then I tend to leave notes on smaller paper or note the changes in soft lead.

However, I have purchased many books at auction over the years, and some of them are either stamped "Library of John Doe" in ink, or embossed with similar verbiage. I am just having a hard time convincing myself that I should go to such extremes.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    numisma August 31, 2009

For your library, do you use a personalized rubber stamp or do you prefer an embosser? Do you handwrite your name? Or do you prefer to not mark your books?

More than 30 years ago I had bookplates made and these are still being used.

Denga

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"a highlighter is not a tool of a lawyer. You should never write in your books." >>

You should photocopy individual pages and bill your clients for them, instead.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to never write in my books, whether numismatic or scientific.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    When I was a kid I would have a fit if you folded the cover of a comic book back while you were reading. I don't write in books.image
  • Options
    I NEVER write in my books...ever...pure blasphemy...I may "mark" a page with a bookmark for later reference...but no writing...ever... image

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No marking at all is best.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Not only do I write in mine, sometimes I take pages out of several different ones to combine into customized references.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ha! Smoked him out.

How 'bout them Pandas?image >>

As a gentleman, Longacre will simply slap your cheek with a leather glove the next time I see you, rather than responding to your comment.

image >>

Then I shall get in a preemptive strike.image
    As a member of the unwashed masses, I wouldn't think of using a leather glove---them's for Michael-Jackson-types.
  • Options

<< <i>Not only do I write in mine, sometimes I take pages out of several different ones to combine into customized references. >>

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this thread is useless without pictures....

What does your library look like in general?
    I have a few industry standards and a few I doubt very many here have heard of.
    It's probably best not to write in them, and if so, in pencil. I prefer the used reference books I buy to be mark free if possible.

• Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    I hate seeing names, including my own written in a book.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I have a very small numismatic book library. I commonly make notes on paper and insert them in the books. Most of my library consists of thousands of photocopies of original documents and many gigabytes of transcriptions and digital copies.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I bury them in the ground, with the rest of my coins.
    Them become a little crustier each time I retrieve them image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe small bookplates would be a good idea, since you have to let them out of your sight! A light pencil coding could easily be erased.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a bit surprised at the widespread reluctance to place any identifying mark on one's books. I, too, am a bibliophile, and I hate to see any damage or destruction to books, but I do not consider placing an identification inside each of the books in my library as damage. I use an embossed seal, much like a notary would use, on the inside blank leaf. Even book plates can be removed, but an embossed seal is permanent.

Having said that, I do not write in any of my books. My copy of the Logan/McCloskey half dime book is filled with post-it notes, but I have never written in it. For the most important books in my library (ones which cover my specific area of interest and to which I refer often) I typically have two copies - one pristine copy on the library shelf, and another field copy.

I have enjoyed collecting a very few books from the libraries of other respected numismatists, which I could not do if they were not so identified.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    The only book I've ever written in is my Overton 3rd edition. It's more of a workbook than a reference, so I don't hesitate making informational notes in it. Hopefully some of them will be of interest or amusement to the next owner some day.

Having handled thousands of auction catalogs, I've seen quite a few that are marked. My favorite? the large bold "Charles L. Ruby" in cursive on the front cover. My least favorite? the black ink stamp "from the library of Remy Bourne".
  • Options
    A difficult question...

I don't mark anyting in the publications in my library, except notes and prices realized when I attend an auction. However, I always have another clean copy of those sales as well.

The reason why I don't mark up my library is because I got so annoyed seeing "Remy Bourne" inkstamps on the inside covers of scarce catalogues when he was doing mail bid sales.

The ANA library uses multiple inkstamps to the point of taking away collector value.

It should be noted that priced and named auction sales from the 19th century are desired items in anyone's collection. In several cases, the owner wrote his name of the front cover. If they later consigned their collection, it adds a little to the desirability and helps to verify pedigrees.

Nowadays, we don't have names of consignors and the material offered in anybody's auction is not necessarily from thhe consignor anyway.

Lot slips are wonderful, and should accompany any items that were purchased at auction. However, they are easily lost.

In any event, I don't have the time to write my name in all of the pieces in my library; and I don't write anything in the items I sell either.

To each his or her own, but please, don't mess things up.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mark my books at all. I see no need for it. If someone breaks into my house, I don't think that those would be the first order of business for a theif. They weigh too much for a theif to mess with them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my wife write in my books, she has exemplary hand writing skills.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    When I first read the title of your post, I thought you meant "marking" as in marking a page to keep your place.

To answer that (unasked) question: I use a Post-It note, pressing it onto the underside of my smoking jacket to take off the excess "gum," and then stick it to the book page. I only do this with books that aren't brittle with age or printed on very thin paper.

To mark my name, if it's a personal book I use a light pencil on the inside endpaper, title page, or half-title page.

If it's a company book and I don't want it to "walk away" and get lost in the Editorial Department --- they're notorious! --- I use a heavy rubber stamp that says

WHITMAN PUBLISHING, LLC
    DENNIS TUCKER, PUBLISHER

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I do not write in my books - never have. I also do not fold over page corners. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I use an embosser. With only one exception: If the book is signed by the author, I leave it alone.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    If it's a company book and I don't want it to "walk away" and get lost in the Editorial Department --- they're notorious! --- I use a heavy rubber stamp that says

WHITMAN PUBLISHING, LLC
    DENNIS TUCKER, PUBLISHER

Dennis - you omitted the line on the stamp that says: ON PAIN OF DEATH
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dennis - you omitted the line on the stamp that says: ON PAIN OF DEATH >>

I think in most companies that would just encourage even more copies to "walk away" image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file