Home U.S. Coin Forum

I knew that the Perth mint ...

I knew that the Perth Mint supplied the platchets for the UHR's

but I did not know that they also supplied the platchets for U.S. Silver quarters.

Perth Mint .. Look around the 2:30 mark.

A real shame that the U.S. can not even make its own platchets.

Since the Chii-nees are so good at making old U.S. coins ...

maybe we should just " out-source " the entire mint .....

with an Indian call customer center.

Silver Baron
Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.

Comments

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i>with an Indian call customer center. >>

Hey! My brother's girlfriend's sister's friend's cousin's baby momma's Indian...
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe its been some time now since the US Mint produced any of their own planchets. All planchets for any coin minted by the US Mint, are produced elsewhere.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice video.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    My third favorite mint. Right ahead of the the freshmaker and right behind the RCM.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt for the night shift

I love the shot of the box of U.S. silver quarter planchets.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I am simply shocked!

You'd think that our own United States Government would deal with United States owned businesses.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it still the case that American Eagles must be produced from silver and gold mined in the U.S.?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. This is required by the law which was passed which authorized the production of the American Eagle Bullion Coins.

Evidently, collector silver proofs are not governed by any such laws.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>with an Indian call customer center. >>

Hey! My brother's girlfriend's sister's friend's cousin's baby momma's Indian... >>

The guy I buy my beer from at the 7 / 11 is.... never mind. image
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    cool video - thanks for the link
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's a great video. It's always good to learn something new!
  • The Perth Mint makes blanks for other mints too, they even make all the coins for NZ as well I believe

You have to think logically. Why would every mint make their own blanks ? we know already they do have meetings and collaborate.

It just make sense. The best mint at making blanks supplies them to nearly everyone else. It is more cost efficient as opposed to having duplicate machinery in every mint around the world..
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Perth Mint makes blanks for other mints too, they even make all the coins for NZ as well I believe

You have to think logically. Why would every mint make their own blanks ? we know already they do have meetings and collaborate.

It just make sense. The best mint at making blanks supplies them to nearly everyone else. It is more cost efficient as opposed to having duplicate machinery in every mint around the world.. >>

It's not about logic or sense. We continue to use paper dollars and cent coins that are neither logical nor sensical(?). Creating coinage is arguably the first important task necessary for the recognition and establishment of a nation. See the ZAR single 9 or our own continental and confederate pieces.

What good are we as a nation if we can't even make our own coinage? It's on par with importing US flags from China. There are just some things a nation must do of itself and by itself, and coinage--even collector coinage--is one of them.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file