Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Did someone complain?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BST is where you sell coins. Not here. >>

At one time Carol said it was perfectly fine for us to have the Weekly Swap which we've had for years. Now they change it? WTF?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

If Don is going to insist that we not mingle sale posts with discussion, then I think it's only fair to create a World Coins for Sale forum. Since there are separate discussion forums for U.S. and World coins, there should be separate sales forums.

After all, that is one of the reasons that the weekly sale thread has been so popular - it's BECAUSE we world coin collectors don't have a sale forum of our own.

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If Don is going to insist that we not mingle sale posts with discussion, then I think it's only fair to create a World Coins for Sale forum. Since there are separate discussion forums for U.S. and World coins, there should be separate sales forums.

After all, that is one of the reasons that the weekly sale thread has been so popular - it's BECAUSE we world coin collectors don't have a sale forum of our own. >>

"Twould seem common sense escapes them. image
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps but I'm glad it has been allowed to continue as the BST seems to have been running smoothly for years.

The darkside isn't usually the place for petty complaints, we're usually quite a civil bunch. image

• ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    It was not PCGS's fault. I will explain the best that I can, as you guys deserve it. A forum member has taken exception to my post. An admin was made aware of the situation and resolved it. I'll not go into great detail. What I will say is this. If my post are not what you would deem worthy of the coin forums please feel free to contact me and let me know. I will gladly change the post or do what is necessary to keep the piece. I attempt to help folks on here as much as I can. I try to make things coin related or related to the folks that post on here. I do not belittle people and I try not to instigate things. I was told, not by the admins but the member that didn't like my post, that there are bascially a few folks on here that don't like me or my post. Guys/gals, I have never asked anyone on here to like me. As humans we aren't going to like everyone we come in contact with. What I do expect is to be treated with respect and not talked down to (in your replies to my post and especially in PM's). It's just a little common courtesy that goes a long way. I, for all intents and purposes, am a "new" world coin collector and I am not at the level of collecting that others are. With that said, there are many posters on here that don't have million dollar collections or even 10,000.00 collections. Don't look down on us cause we aren't as educated or have the coins that you have. I know that sometimes our personalities clash on here and that what we type can be taken the wrong way. I try not to let things get to me but sometimes enough is enough. With that said, I will also extend an apology to any forum member that I have ever insulted or offended with any of my posts. I appreciate everyone of you on here and consider you guys friends, even though I have never met any of you. Again, if I have ever caused anyone an issue I'll be man enough to apologize for it but I was unaware that I had rubbed some folks the wrong way. That's all I have to say. Thanks and everyone be safe.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Todd, I didn't think your thread was out of line at all. Over the years, we have had not only the weekly BST thread, but made allowances for additional member-specific SSPs (selfish/shameless self promotions) which many of us have hosted and taken advantage of. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I believe I speak for the vast majority. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel, unfortunately, and I hope the person who complained has a change of heart. That may be water under the bridge, however, as people have already stepped in and virtually changed our way of handling ourselves in a permanent fashion. I hate to see the disappearance of the SSPs!! It is unnecessary to rid our forum of them. In your case, having a new baby, and offering a fantastic coin in a different thread than the weekly BST thread seems wholly appropriate. If this forum doesn't police itself respectfully and effectively, it will be policed by the higher-ups, who have more important things to do with their valuable time than to peek in on us. So whoever complained about Todd's SSP thread, please consider what you have done to our forum. I hope it hasn't seriously diminished the quality and content here, but most likely it has, judging by the reactions of some of our older and extremely experienced members (members who I would hate to see leave) to the President's thread banning BST threads.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Wow; looks like I missed a lot in a short time image , but it appears all is well again (weekly bst thread is ok to continue, right?) image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions

<< <i>Wow; looks like I missed a lot in a short time image , but it appears all is well again (weekly bst thread is ok to continue, right?) image - Preussen >>

Yes, but our beloved SSPs are in mortal danger.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

ASUTodd, you have nothing to worry about, mate. The old guard has your back. If Ajaan, CP, Mac and Jester say it's cool, than it's cool. End of story.

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭
    I echo the sentiments above. The weekly BST thread and even the occasional SSP threads have worked fine here for years. I would hate to see either go away.

Given the fact that tremendous potential exists for readers to misinterpret the tone or true meaning of informal written communications like e-mail and posts on coin threads, it never ceases to amaze me that some people get upset about them. I would respectfully suggest in such cases, that the offended party work it out through PM with the author, rather than drag the moderator in and potentially screw things up for everybody. I believe the moderator has given this forum much more latitude precisely because we have been able to work such things out informally.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I think that someone just had a bad day.image
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd, which post was the one in question? the baby or the Russian coin? Either one was OK by me. I have done a few SSPs in the past.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I don't post here as much as I did in the "old days," but it looks like I have missed some things. I had no idea that SSP threads were now an issue for some reason, nor do I yet understand why that is the case. I posted an SSP a few days ago, hope that wasn't part of what the current fuss was about.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's the person complaining who is the problem...

I don't know the circumstances, just sayin...
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    OK, I found a post by someone named:

"Don Willis
    President, PCGS

That reads as follows:

"BST is where you sell coins. Not here......Please use this forum for its intended purpose."

I was not aware that there was a problem with spam posts on the WAC Forum and as far as I knew most if not all of the members who had been here for a long time (like myself) were fine with an SSP here and there. If that is in fact not the case I apoligize to my fellow forum members and to the powers that be at PCGS.

However, I am not going to waste my time scrolling through hundreds of posts on the BST offering modern US coins in hopes of perhaps finding a world coin I might be interested in. I have nothing against modern US coins or those who collect and/or deal in them, but it is just not what I am interested in.

I notice that there is a BST forum for autographs that has a total of four posts in it and another BST for stamps with only three posts. Perhaps the time has come for PCGS to consider adding a BST forum for non-US coins. I can assure PCGS that such a forum would recieve much more use than the stamp and autograph forums and would be much appreciated by the World collectors here.

What do you think Mr. Willis?

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I don't understand... what happened to the point that a complaint was even contemplated?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately time for a World Coin BST.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Todd, I'm sorry somebody was stupid enough to attack you. You have never done anything wrong in any of the posts I've read.

I will be contacting you privatly to find out who it is, so I never make the mistake of doing buisness with or even being nice to this person.

Edit: you also make a very good point in your post Todd. I am a nobody when it comes to collecting. I don't own gold, I don't own so many coins I can't count them, I don't own any major rarities, and I don't own any coins that sell for more then cars. Most of the people on this forum have not looked down their nose on me, but I believe that some have.

This does not make me feel inferior...it makes me feel sorry for them, that they are so...misled...in life, that they believe that really makes a difference.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • stevereecystevereecy Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I only skimmed this thread, but SOMEBODY WAS TRYING TO TRADE A BABY FOR A COIN?!

Just kidding. I know I'm a noob, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but its pretty easy to navigate past the "for sale" thread here if one deems that necessary. I don't, even though I'm a pauper, because I like to look at the photos of the coins and salivate over them. It is also a good barometer of what people are collecting. I find it educational.

Steve

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
    I now know a bit more about the situation that prompted this, and without naming names, it's the same single oldtimer that has always whined any time someone makes an SSP post.

Instead of opting to simply not read the threads, they have personally decided to be offended on everyone else's behalf and made it their life's mission to eradicate all SSP threads.

So we have 1 person potentially ruining this forum for everyone else. It's a case of an extremely vocal minority of one outweighing the majority that are content.

<< <i>I now know a bit more about the situation that prompted this, and without naming names, it's the same single oldtimer that has always whined any time someone makes an SSP post.

Instead of opting to simply not read the threads, they have personally decided to be offended on everyone else's behalf and made it their life's mission to eradicate all SSP threads.

So we have 1 person potentially ruining this forum for everyone else. It's a case of an extremely vocal minority of one outweighing the majority that are content. >>

Agreed. It's sad that someone who's done so much for some branches of numismatics (?!) and helped to rid the forum of trolls has decided to act in a way that is causing unspeakably and probably irreversible damage to our harmless little community, and furthermore I agree with CoinPics that he shouldn't have conducted himself in such a way as to tattle to the principal when a PM could have had much better effectiveness and minimized the damage to the forum. An SSP does not a Crownman make, sir!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• << <i>I now know a bit more about the situation that prompted this, and without naming names, it's the same single oldtimer that has always whined any time someone makes an SSP post. >>

So, someone is screwing with the rare forum that maintains a civil tone without much moderation. Wow........
    This is one of the few forums that I have found worthwhile, mostly because of the excellent members willing to help us noobs, and because of the lack of BS. I hope that never changes.

Chris

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

<< <i>when a PM could have had much better effectiveness and minimized the damage to the forum. >>

I've had an opportunity to see one of the PMs this individual sent to Todd, and I have recommended that he forward it to SportsModerator1, as it goes beyond the pale. We're talking about rudeness and insults that far exceed the issue at hand.

Again, one person is vehemently opposed to the generally-accepted manner in which we, as adults, have conducted our little corner of the forum over many years, and has unilaterally decided it should be run according to his personal wishes. Somehow he has managed to get the ear of the powers that be, despite what the rest of the membership thinks.

No matter how you slice it, that is wrong.
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>when a PM could have had much better effectiveness and minimized the damage to the forum. >>

I've had an opportunity to see one of the PMs this individual sent to Todd, and I have recommended that he forward it to SportsModerator1, as it goes beyond the pale. We're talking about rudeness and insults that far exceed the issue at hand.

Again, one person is vehemently opposed to the generally-accepted manner in which we, as adults, have conducted our little corner of the forum over many years, and has unilaterally decided it should be run according to his personal wishes. Somehow he has managed to get the ear of the powers that be, despite what the rest of the membership thinks.

No matter how you slice it, that is wrong. >>

Maybe the real solution is to bam the complainer. image