Home Sports Talk

Of these two players, who would you rather have on your team?

Player 1: 129 G, 452 AB, 102 R, 144 H, 34 2B, 1 3B, 41 HR, 109 RBI, 98 BB, 55 SO, 13 SB, 4 CS, .319 AVG, .443 OBP, .670 SLG, 1.113 OPS, $14,427,326 SALARY, 29 (purportedly, but mid-to-upper-30's realistically) AGE

Player 2: 129 G, 469 AB, 80 R, 142 H, 27 2B, 2 3B, 36 HR, 119 RBI, 87 BB, 109 SO, 2 SB, 3 CS, .303 AVG, .415 OBP, .599 SLG, 1.014 OPS, $7,000,000 SALARY, 25 AGE

Comments

• Player 2 looks good but not crazy about the 109 K's though
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably still take Player #1 over Player #2. While Player #2 is younger and has had a stellar beginning to his career, Player #1 is still young and a bargain at $14mil. Sorry, I know you want us to save $7mil, but when player #2 gets a new contract, Player #1 will be the bargain.
  • I would still take Pujols over Prince.
  • ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would still take Pujols over Prince. >>

Ditto. Also keep in mind that player #1 does this same thing year after year.
    Brett
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Just a couple more stats, for what it's worth...

Player 1: 21 GIDP, 39 IBB

Player 2: 11 GIDP, 15 IBB

The double plays don't completely offset the fact that Player 2 has twice as many strikeouts, but I'll always prefer a strikeout over a GIDP.

The intentional walks stat tells me that Player 1 has worked 59 atbats into walks and Player 2 has worked 72 atbats into walks. The IBBs are certainly not to be overlooked, but it's not merely a factor of the player as you have to consider the player hitting behind them.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I think player 1 wins but barely.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to go with Player 1, he's the best hitter in baseball right now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Since you brought up the contract issue you should have also noted that player one is signed through 2011, while player number B is signed only though 2010 -- I think

Of course none of us actually have a baseball team, so the question is kind of silly
    Tom
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sir Albert is the best player in baseball as far as Im concerned.
  • GUMBY, HOW MANY POSTS ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE TO TRY TO DISPROVE PUJOLS MVP?

getting old.....

i think you post WAY MORE ANTI PUJOLS than i post pro-pujols....

YOUR THE ULTIMATE HATER
  • Like I said in another post, Prince is having a fantastic year, and I think he would win MVP in most other years. But what Pujols did at the beginning of the year won him the MVP before the All-Star break.

As for who I would want on my team I would still have to chose Pujols. I don't know what to believe about his age but either way I think he has a few great seasons ahead of him. The thing that concerns me about Fielder is his weight. I think that's going to lead to some serious health issues down the road and could mean a short career. He's a great player and I'll think he'll be productive for a few years but it's very obvious the vegetarian thing isn't working out for him.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I'd have to say Pujols is the best player in baseball and I don't have a Man-crush like some people do.

• << <i>but it's very obvious the vegetarian thing isn't working out for him. >>

I can assure you that the whole "vegetarian thing" is a joke.

Also, "cake ain't meat" was one of the funniest things he's ever said.

• << <i>GUMBY, HOW MANY POSTS ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE TO TRY TO DISPROVE PUJOLS MVP?

getting old.....

i think you post WAY MORE ANTI PUJOLS than i post pro-pujols....

YOUR THE ULTIMATE HATER >>

Wow. Were you crying when you typed that?

I asked a question and compared statistics. People have shared their opinions and you cried about me being a hater. Thanks to those who shared their opinions!

But since I'm wasting my time responding to you, Scott, here's a quick lesson.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit surprised the Cards haven't torn up #1's current contract in hopes of signing him through '14 or '15. As it is I'm guessing they lose him after re-upping on his '11 option. It sucks for Cards fans as I'm going through it with Mauer right now.
  • there is no way Pujols WOnt sign with the Cards...

he has already shown he is not like all the other money grubbing superstars....

remember, he does a CHARITY NON ALCOHOLIC NEWS YEARS EVE EVENT.....you think he is gonna dis the Crads because they may not be able to give him the biggest contract? no way...

and Gumpy...its just ever other post you make is against pujols or how he doesnt deserve this or that....YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE HATER ADMIT IT
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    i would take #2 and hope for the same numbers moving forward. i'm an orioles fan and i need youth cuz we won't be good for a couple of years.

when do we get him by the way????
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I can assure you that the whole "vegetarian thing" is a joke.

Also, "cake ain't meat" was one of the funniest things he's ever said. >>

"Cake aint' meat!" That is funny!

By the way, I think that Pujols will retire a Cardinal.

Shane

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I will take Pujols any day of the week over that other guy.

Brian
    and Gumpy...its just ever other post you make is against pujols or how he doesnt deserve this or that....YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE HATER ADMIT IT

I, for one, was really surprised that the numbers were as close as they are. I thus was glad Gumby shared his post. I do not know if he is a Pujols hater or not. Like most of us we dislike you, Fandango, becauase you come across as a jerk on these boards. Maybe you are a nice guy in real life but your persona here is that of a single focused jerk. I have a hunch Gumby respects Pujols for being a great player. He would be a fool not to. However, Gumby has a very good player that he is a FAN of and he wants to talk about it and that's great. I do not know if Gumby has built a shrine yet for his Prince yet but probably not. Just ease up a tad Fandango. Pretend we are having a face to face conversation, talking about players we like, etc.... You do not have to be a defensive jerk all the time.

Going back to the original question of this thread the numbers are much closer than I imagined. If you are talking about just this one year maybe Fielder would be a better choice since he is putting up almost the same numbers for a lot less money!? I do not watch enough to know how their defense compares but I am sure someone can on here can give us a defensive breakdown of the two players. Due to the long term consistency that Pujols has shown I think it would be a huge mistake not to pick Pujols in the long run. The guy has started his career with amazing stats, obviously. Again, this year alone things are a lot closer than I would have thought.

As for the hypothesis that Pujols hosts a new year's eve non-alchoholic event and therefore he won't leave St. Louis... it does not take a very smart person to see that is not a very linear equation. If one hosts non-alchoholic events they will never leave their team!? It may be smarter to say he loves St. Louis, doesn't want to up-root his family, etc.... I actually think it would be very nice if he stayed with one team for his whole career. Would really top a remarkable career to stay with one team this day and age. However, if he is only 29 he has a lot of career left so anything is possible. If Pujols really is the great/giving guy that his fans say maybe he could do more good by taking $35m a year from the Yankee's!? I hate to even type that but that's a lot of money he could give to charities!?

<< <i>and Gumpy...its just ever other post you make is against pujols or how he doesnt deserve this or that....YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE HATER ADMIT IT

I, for one, was really surprised that the numbers were as close as they are. I thus was glad Gumby shared his post. I do not know if he is a Pujols hater or not. Like most of us we dislike you, Fandango, becauase you come across as a jerk on these boards. Maybe you are a nice guy in real life but your persona here is that of a single focused jerk. I have a hunch Gumby respects Pujols for being a great player. He would be a fool not to. However, Gumby has a very good player that he is a FAN of and he wants to talk about it and that's great. I do not know if Gumby has built a shrine yet for his Prince yet but probably not. Just ease up a tad Fandango. Pretend we are having a face to face conversation, talking about players we like, etc.... You do not have to be a defensive jerk all the time.

Going back to the original question of this thread the numbers are much closer than I imagined. If you are talking about just this one year maybe Fielder would be a better choice since he is putting up almost the same numbers for a lot less money!? I do not watch enough to know how their defense compares but I am sure someone can on here can give us a defensive breakdown of the two players. Due to the long term consistency that Pujols has shown I think it would be a huge mistake not to pick Pujols in the long run. The guy has started his career with amazing stats, obviously. Again, this year alone things are a lot closer than I would have thought.

As for the hypothesis that Pujols hosts a new year's eve non-alchoholic event and therefore he won't leave St. Louis... it does not take a very smart person to see that is not a very linear equation. If one hosts non-alchoholic events they will never leave their team!? It may be smarter to say he loves St. Louis, doesn't want to up-root his family, etc.... I actually think it would be very nice if he stayed with one team for his whole career. Would really top a remarkable career to stay with one team this day and age. However, if he is only 29 he has a lot of career left so anything is possible. If Pujols really is the great/giving guy that his fans say maybe he could do more good by taking $35m a year from the Yankee's!? I hate to even type that but that's a lot of money he could give to charities!? >>

Fantastic post!

Shane

• << <i>and Gumpy...its just ever other post you make is against pujols or how he doesnt deserve this or that....YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE HATER ADMIT IT

As for the hypothesis that Pujols hosts a new year's eve non-alchoholic event and therefore he won't leave St. Louis... it does not take a very smart person to see that is not a very linear equation. If one hosts non-alchoholic events they will never leave their team!? It may be smarter to say he loves St. Louis, doesn't want to up-root his family, etc.... I actually think it would be very nice if he stayed with one team for his whole career. Would really top a remarkable career to stay with one team this day and age. However, if he is only 29 he has a lot of career left so anything is possible. If Pujols really is the great/giving guy that his fans say maybe he could do more good by taking $35m a year from the Yankee's!? I hate to even type that but that's a lot of money he could give to charities!? >>

what makes you think he respects Pujols? he cuts him down WHENEVER POSSIBLE.....

as far as me being a jerk, its because i defend myself (and Pujols) when jerks shoot their mouths off and almost Libel the man...

this board is so anti Pujols, that if a new member came on , who was a Pujols Fan, you would think its an "alt" .. very sad....

also, LarryAllen, you may think im a jerk, but you are the one who TROLLS by posts and ALWAYS adds your 2 cents that im over the top, or pUjols does steroids...

i dont TROLL ANYONE HERE..i dont look for peoples posts and then post jabs....LIKE MANY DO TO ME.....

so if you dont like my Pujols posts, or Pujols Support then SHUT THE HELL UP......there is nothing wrong with being a FANatic...thats what this is all about...having PASSION for our collections....

I dont rip anyones stuff (unless they took the first swing)

like Stallone says "They Drew First Blood" i wont start it, but i aint gonna back down....

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Player #1 image

Player #2, if it was the Pittsburgh Pirates! image

rd

edit: on second thought, forget what I said, Pittsburgh would go with the #3 or #4 option! Pujols? image

imageimageimageimageGod Bless Us All - Nulclear Magenta Production/Bruce Bernstein Film imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageGod Bless Us All! - Little Brucie Weil imageimageimageimage (circa: 1953)

imageimageimageimageGod Bless Us All - Little Jimmy Boyd imageimageimageimage (RIP Jimmy Boyd Died 3/7/2009)
  • Hey Scott, don't forget to take your blood pressure meds. I don't want you to have an aneurysm.

As a matter of fact, I think Pujols is by far one of the best players in the game. When he comes to the plate I pay attention because he is capable of being a game changer.

However, I don't believe for one second that he's only 29 years old. Players who come from the Dominican are notorious for knocking a few years off their age in order to get better contracts.

My other concern with Pujols would be IF he appears on "a list" at some point in the future. If he does, the affect would be exponentially worse than A-Rod's supplement usage.

A-Rod has had his name in the news for less than respectable indiscretions, so his name wasn't as pristine as Pujols' to begin with. So although there was some backlash when A-Rod's cheating story broke, it wasn't the end of the world because his character was already in question.

Pujols is held in high regard by the media, by baseball fans and by his peers. His charitable work and consistent message about his beliefs make him a very likable guy. IF it turns out that he's cheated, that would be tragic.

Do I respect Pujols as a great player? Absolutely. The guy can flat out mash.

Lastly, my user name here is Gumbyfan. Some people call me Gumby, some people call me Craig. Calling me "Gumpy" is immature and embarassing. You're better than that.
    As far as Pujols being older than 29, I have to say in his defense that he has been in the United States since he was 16 years old and in high school. If you talk about his bald head, have you seen Dustin Pedroia's melon? He has lost as much hair as Pujols and he's only 26 years old. I have a friend that is 27 and he has lost more hair than Pujols. I guess we will see for sure in a few years if he starts going down hill a bit pre-maturely. Hopefully, that won't happen.

Shane

also, LarryAllen, you may think im a jerk, but you are the one who TROLLS by posts and ALWAYS adds your 2 cents that im over the top, or pUjols does steroids...

You are over the top in my opinion and I do think you are jerk (as do many on these boards). However, I do not think I have ever said Pujols does steroids. At least not that I can recall. I think you will find that my posts generally suggest him to be a very good baseball player. Next time you have time just go through all the posts I have ever made about Pujols to prove me wrong. I don't care. I just can't imagine having the singular focus that you seem to have about this other human being. I have to split my interest between my wife and kids; you get to focus it all on one man. Good for you. I hope he hits a home run or two tonight to make you happy. I'll be at my kid's soccer practice which is FAR superior to whatever Mr. Pujols may do.

• << <i>also, LarryAllen, you may think im a jerk, but you are the one who TROLLS by posts and ALWAYS adds your 2 cents that im over the top, or pUjols does steroids...

You are over the top in my opinion and I do think you are jerk (as do many on these boards). However, I do not think I have ever said Pujols does steroids. At least not that I can recall. I think you will find that my posts generally suggest him to be a very good baseball player. Next time you have time just go through all the posts I have ever made about Pujols to prove me wrong. I don't care. I just can't imagine having the singular focus that you seem to have about this other human being. I have to split my interest between my wife and kids; you get to focus it all on one man. Good for you. I hope he hits a home run or two tonight to make you happy. I'll be at my kid's soccer practice which is FAR superior to whatever Mr. Pujols may do. >>

such a family man...but i think i got you beat in that department too...
  • LARRY ALLEN...do YOU EVEN COLLECT CARDS?

i have never seen a post you made with cards or a picture of a card....

only post you make are to troll me.....YOU NEVER TALK ABOUT CARDS

TROLL
    LARRY ALLEN...do YOU EVEN COLLECT CARDS?

i have never seen a post you made with cards or a picture of a card....

only post you make are to troll me.....YOU NEVER TALK ABOUT CARDS

TROLL

Not that I suggest you, or I, bother going through all the threads during my years here but I happen to be an avid card collector. I have started, or contributed to, hundreds of threads during my years here on these boards. I have exchanged PM's and/or emails with dozens of people on here about cards. All information that has been posted before in some fashion as follows. I started collecting in 1974, took a break for high school/college, and got back into it after law school. I started sending cards to PSA, for grading, about 1998. I am a current collector's club member. I have also sold, and even given, cards to members of these boards. I have submitted cards 28 times, since 2004, according to my PSA account. It must have been about that time I let my membership lapse and my wife re-started it for me but I got a new account. My average sub is about 50 cards with my largest at about 200. I generally sell some cards "to pay for the sub" and keep the rest. The cards I keep tend to be of low value and not much interest to a lot of people: cards from '74-'84 (my main collecting years), Dodger's of all years, football and basketball players who played at UCLA, players of any sport who played at Sonoma State (there are actually a few others besides just Larry Allen), and then random hall of famers of all sports. My collection is not huge anymore as I gave about 100,000 cards to a children's home back in the mid 90's. There is no need for you to reply Fandango.

Good day.

Albert does need the money? image

rd

P.S. But seriously, the reason I posted this pic, was because of Albert's alleged age. Does he or does he not look like a guy "well into his 30s"? image

I doest thinketh Gumbystein just may be onto something here? You know, with that Dominican age distortion thingy?

Plus Pujols is balding, plus maybe he's graying too? (And maybe that's why he's head shaved? Who knows? Could be that Albert uses a little "Just For Men" Beard & Mustache Coloring once in a while too? But that's cool with me! I could use some too, as I'm 60 1/2 now! Really, that's my real age!) image

imageimageimageimageGod Bless Us All - Nulclear Magenta Production/Bruce Bernstein Film imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageGod Bless Us All! - Little Brucie Weil imageimageimageimage (circa: 1953)

imageimageimageimageGod Bless Us All - Little Jimmy Boyd imageimageimageimage (RIP Jimmy Boyd Died 3/7/2009)

• << <i>Albert needs the money? image

rd

P.S. But seriously, the reason I posted this pic, was because of Albert's alleged age. Does he or does he not look like a guy "well into his 30s"? image

I doest thinketh Gumbystein just may be onto something here? You know, with that Dominican age distortion thingy?

Plus Pujols is balding, plus maybe he's graying too? (And maybe that's why he's head shaved?) image

imageimageimageimageGod Bless Us All - Little Jimmy Boyd imageimageimageimage (RIP Jimmy Boyd Died 3/7/2009) >>

1. The Cardinals Winter Warm Up where that picture of Pujols signing autographs was taken, is a 100% charity event, with the proceeds going to Cardinals Care. Pujols does not take home one dime..

2. Do you realize that most male pattern baldness is genetic? Pujols began losing his hair in 2005, at the age of 25.. A key age for males to start losing their hair, if they have the male pattern baldness gene... Read this article I have linked for more education:

HairLoss

3. No, Pujols was not "graying" as of this past Monday, when I was out at the Pujols Family Foundation Charity Golf Event..

4. Pujols is a great player, and will go down as one of the greatest players of all-time, when it's all said and done. Fielder won't even be in the same conversation.

5. Pujols is a US citizen, so he must have passed the background check, age and identity verification, by the federal government. This stuff got much more strict after 911. I believe Pujols became a US citizen in 2007, so he had to pass through a fairly stringent test to become a US citizen.. Everything obviously checked out..

6. Pujols is the real deal, and a genuine person every time I have been around him. I admire what he stands for in his personal life, and how he plays the game. Nothing more or less..

I'm headed to Busch, and running late, so I gotta cut this short. We have some Brewers to sweep away this afternoon... image
  • gotta love the low intelligence of some people when the only argument they can come up with is HIS AGE

HIS AGE? does it even matter? does it detract from his greatness?

people who bring up his age are so sad........WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? nothing?

you are hoping he is not great to 39 but to 37 instead??? i dont get it?

Gumpy, your IQ must be rather low...sorry for your offspring (if you can ever trick a women that far)...

40 HR a year for some more years make him the true HR CHAMP!!

SORRY HATERS..YOUR LOOKING AT HISTORY AND DONT EVEN APPRECIATE IT......

Look at this from a different perspective, let's say Craig is correct and Pujols was one of those Dominican rookies that did "fudge a little" about his age when coming up from Central America.

If one cheats some about their correct age to get ahead in MLB, what else would that player do just to get an edge, when starting out in MLB????

Funny, look at the players who got caught "playing juiced". A long list of some our MLB's greatest baseball players over the past decade!

So it would not be to far fetched that a player of Pujols stature, would not have juiced to get an edge, somewhere along the line?

Just conjecture, but gumbyfan may be on to something? There surely would be plenty of disappointed Pujols fans if the rumors and "baseball Pujols gossip" turned out to be true.

So many other players have been "outed". Time will tell about other players, like Pujols. If he did something funky, someone knows about it , and the truth will come out, as it has with soooooooooooooooooooooo many other players.

Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, A-Rod, Sheffield, Pudge and soooooooooooooooo many more of "the greats". Blah Blah Blah! Enough, I made my point! LOL!

rd