Home Sports Talk
Options

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish run to a BCS bowl game thread (not this year, congrats Navy)

thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
For years, we've played some of the toughest schedules in the nation. It's nice to have somewhat of a break in this year's schedule. It sets up nicely to what should lead to a much improved record, and a possible berth in another BCS bowl game.

There is no doubt that our football ability or lack thereof should not have had us in some of our recent BCS bowls if that was the only criteria. However, we all know that college football is a business, and there is also no doubt that we generate a lot of $$$'s and buzz for any bowl that lands us. Beyond the 1 vs 2 game, the rest of the bowls are about providing an attractive matchup for sponsors, local economies, tv advertisements, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc, and there are not many, if any, teams more qualified then the Fighting Irish in those areas. Therefore, as long as we meet the minimum requirements, we'll continue to be invited and justifiably so.

What might make this year unusual of late, is that I actually believe we can win a BCS bowl this year. I believe that a lot of the ND haters are going to be unable to take nearly as much glee in our performances this year, as they have in the past few. Should be a good, solid season. 10 days and counting, let the games begin.

GO IRISH!!
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered, is it possible to despise the Irish, yet be a Joe Montana fan?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    BCS Championship game from what I am hearing! image
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    If Clausen's arm were as strong as his mouth, the FI would be undefeated.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ND needs to do something big this year- I do not have them in the top ten at the end of the season but I like to be surprised. While ND should improve, I don't see a BCS for them this year. I don't think they will beat Michigan State this year.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>If Clausen's arm were as strong as his mouth, the FI would be undefeated. >>

You could basically substitute the name of any college athlete in America into that sentence. Would you like them to doubt themselves or have low self confidence? I'd venture to say that 95% of athletes think rather highly of themself, it's that determinatiion and belief and self confidence, that helps them get to where they are. It always amuses me that Notre Dame detractors bring up things like that.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notre Dame is horrible, they need Lou Holtz back image
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I am on the bandwagon for another year. BCS bound. USC should be the only game they are the underdog. With a freshman quarterback under center for the Trojans you never know. I will be at Michigan State and USC games this year. Go Irish!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    I am not so sure the Irish will be favored against the Spartans

• Options
    It is at South Bend. They have had our number for the last couple of visits to South Bend, but unless Michigan really gives them a game I think they will be favored. I am really worried about Michigan too.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    This should be the "no excuses" season for ND. They have a much easier schedule and did show improvement last
    year. If they regress there will probably have a head coaching vacancy do deal with.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm in

GO IRISH!!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Irish in the BCS? Unlikely... I find it interesting how much weight people place on "returning starters", and especially a returning QB. If this squad at ND were special, we'd have seen it already. Great QB's show signs of greatness from day 1. Claussen showed none of that his first year and not much more his second year. I wish the Irish would return to greatness, but a return to goodness or even, averageness must happen first. Beating Hawaii in the dontrememberit.com bowl last year isn't convincing me of great things to come either. All that being said, this should be a better season, but realistic goals is what we need here. Just shoot for 6 wins, try your hardest not to get paired up with an SEC team in your bowl game, and try to develop some youngsters along the way.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>Irish in the BCS? Unlikely... I find it interesting how much weight people place on "returning starters", and especially a returning QB. If this squad at ND were special, we'd have seen it already. Great QB's show signs of greatness from day 1. Claussen showed none of that his first year and not much more his second year. I wish the Irish would return to greatness, but a return to goodness or even, averageness must happen first. Beating Hawaii in the dontrememberit.com bowl last year isn't convincing me of great things to come either. All that being said, this should be a better season, but realistic goals is what we need here. Just shoot for 6 wins, try your hardest not to get paired up with an SEC team in your bowl game, and try to develop some youngsters along the way. >>

A 10-2 Notre Dame team woud definitely go to the BCS IMO, and a 9-3 team might even sneak in. Here's the schedule:

Sat, Sep 5 Nevada 3:30 pm --
    Sat, Sep 12 at Michigan 3:30 pm --
    Sat, Sep 19 Michigan State 3:30 pm --
    Sat, Sep 26 at Purdue 8:00 pm --
    Sat, Oct 3 Washington 3:30 pm --
    Sat, Oct 17 (4) USC 3:30 pm --
    Sat, Oct 24 Boston College 3:30 pm --
    Sat, Oct 31 Washington State 7:30 pm --
    Sat, Nov 7 Navy 2:30 pm --
    Sat, Nov 14 at Pittsburgh TBA --
    Sat, Nov 21 Connecticut 2:30 pm --
    Sat, Nov 28 at Stanford 8:00 pm

I don't see anything in the posts that gives any indication that we think that ND has a "special" squad this year. As a matter of fact, I think they are rather pedestrian. That being said, we have what appears to be on paper, a much easier slate then usual. Even a pedestrian team of 3, 4, and 5 star unproven players should do well against that slate. Any losses that we have, should come relatively early and allow for a recovery in the polls by finishing strong while the other teams are knocking each other down the polls. A BCS berth is far from unlikely IMO. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

The Vegas line has the over/under on Irish wins set at 8.5, and that's probably a fair expectation. With a bunch of 18-22 year old kids on both teams who allow many more outside influences to affect their play on the field then the pros do, there might be a variance of a couple games in either direction, with either direction being about the same probability. I'm hoping the variance is one that's higher, but you never know, that's why they bang helmets. 8 more days till the fun begins.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Mike thanks. I would love to see a prediction from you on W's and L's for each game next to the sched. you posted. I need to check the Vegas lines as well, but find it hard to believe that the O/U is at 8.5. Yes, the sched. looks soft, but this team...

I guess BC losing their projected QB puts that game back in the maybe column.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    i hear nevada can score so we'll see what the defense can do in the first game. and i hear they can't stop anyone either so i hope the offense plays well and puts up points. the offense looked good in the bowl game last year, it was hawaii buit still they really didn't look that good against anyone last year like that. they need to open up the offense and let the kid throw.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    I do not see a 10-2 ND team making the BCS unless they beat USC and Michigan State. An upset loss to Stanford or Pitt would not be the end of the world. I wish them well- its just that I see too many other teams worthy of a BCS bid this year than ND- We'll see how it goes.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This is a no excuse season for the Irish. Vegas just came out and ranked them 11. Just a bit of info so no one can say they are surprised if they do well. First I live near the school and am familiar with some of the coaches as I have been for years due to work. Anyway, Clausen's numbers are much better than Quinn's sophomore numbers. He has made improvement since last year as evidenced by the spring game and fan appreciation day performances as well as info from the staff and players. The O line should be a strength this year, versus a weakness the past few years. Tate and Floyd are two of the best college receivers in the nation, and Kyle Rudolph albeit a sophomore is one of the best tight ends they've had, including Fasano an Carlson. There is plenty left on the bench at these positions.

Running back position is also talented and deep.

On defense their is plenty of skill and beef up front, the linebackers including Teo are fast and excepting Teo are experienced. They have the best cornerback duo they've had in decades in Blanton and Walls. Both are shutdown type athletes. Both safeties are good coverage guys and strong tacklers. A weakness last year in the kicking game should be a strength this year. This is the deepest team talent wise since the Lou Holtz era.

Most importantly these kids know they have the talent but also realize they ain't gonna win any games just because they are Notre Dame. A lesson learned last year after the Syracuse fiasco.

There are no excuses this year and both the kids and staff know that.
  • Options
    Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame,
    wake up the echoes cheering her name,
    send a volley cheer on high,
    shake down the thunder from the sky,
    what tho the odds be great or small,
    Ol' Notre Dame will win over all,
    as her loyal sons go marching,
    onward to victory

I miss being in the dorms on Saturday morning and waking up to the sounds of the Notre Dame Fight Song blaring through the 7th floor of Flanner Hall.

GO IRISH!!
  • Options
    well its game day!!

GO IRISH!!!!
    Fred

• Options

Just how long does the NBC / Notre Dame contract last?

I look forward to the network making better use of good air time. image
  • Options
    I am trying hard to remembet the lyrics to a slightly different version... which is fairly popular years and years ago

• Options
    Give credit where credit is due... an impressive opener for ND

• Options
    Irish win 35-0. Several possessions ND didn't score. Clausen threw 2-3 incomplete passes for the whole game. That's 2-3 more than I like to see. Improvement definitely needed. image

In all seriousness, a nice opener. First shutout since 2002. A decent job all around. Gets tougher from here though. Congrats kids, go celebrate tonight and get back to work tomorrow.

GO IRISH!! BEAT MICHIGAN!!
  • Options
    Just got back from the game and was very impressed overall. No stupid penalties. Not alot of mental errors and the Irish stopped a decent offense. Claussen had all kinds of throws available. They could have run the fly to Tate or the seem to any of there TE's all day. Charlie took his foot off the gas, but that is OK. Overall very happy and hope they can carry some momentum into Michigan. Go Irish!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    It was an exciting game to watch- give credit to Michigan

• Options
    "Just how long does the NBC / Notre Dame contract last?

I look forward to the network making better use of good air time."

game today was on ABC. NBC filled 2 hours of time slot with info commercials

Glad NBC (NOTREDAME BROADCAST COMPANY) didn't waste good air time image

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• Options
    Entertaining game today. Didn't work out though. Oh well, didn't expect them to win them all this year. If Charlie doesn't start winning those games, he'll be gone soon. He could have been a "genius" if the two passes by Clausen with a little over 2 minutes left would have been complete instead of incomplete, thus keeping the clock running instead of stopping it. Instead, he looked "stupid" by allowing so much time on the clock as well as Michigan not having to use their timeouts. He'll pay the price and justifiably so if those calls keep working out the same way the rest of the year. Kids weren't very disciplined either, way too many penalties.

Go IRISH!! Beat the Spartans.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Notre Dame is horrible, they need Lou Holtz back image >>

Lou would have won this game- I can see it now----Lou on his knees picking a handful of grass - nervous, going to the option and winning this game.
  • Options
    I give Michigan a ton of credit, but ND has more talent and had matchups all over the field that favored the Irish. I do not expect them to win them all, but I expect them to win games when they have more talent. Tough one to take right now, but gotta get ready for the Spartans. Go Irish!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    very entertaining game. that QB from MICH. played well. I'm still puzzled by the unsportsmen on allen for putting his finger up to his facemask. seemed very quick to me. the mich qb pointed to the crowd on his TD run got nothing. but the irish didn't make the stop when they needed and tate dropped 2 td passes. i hope floyd is ok him being hurt hurt them down the end of the game.

on to sparty
    Fred

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    Entertaining game today. Didn't work out though. Oh well, didn't expect them to win them all this year.

I would think this was one of your 8.5 wins though.
    Go blue!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>
    I would think this was one of your 8.5 wins though.
    Go blue! >>

I'll cut and paste a line from the same thread where I wrote:

"Any losses that we have, should come relatively early and allow for a recovery in the polls by finishing strong while the other teams are knocking each other down the polls."

It's a long season so enjoy your early success. Congrats on the victory.

Mike
  • Options
    How convenient of ABC to limit their shots of Charlie above the waist. Wow! Just say no to Olive Garden's "never ending" pasta bowl!
  • Options
    nice win but its gonna get tough without floyd
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>How convenient of ABC to limit their shots of Charlie above the waist. Wow! Just say no to Olive Garden's "never ending" pasta bowl! >>

That's a post that a mother should be proud of, making fun of obese people. Good job. Why don't you post a picture of yourself so we can make fun of you.
  • Options
    Good to get another one in the W column. Picked up some tickets today as well, to take the family to see the Irish in San Antonio on Halloween.

GO IRISH!!
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

It was a nice game today,maybe Michigan can squeeze out a 2nd. place with the
    spartans going down today,way to go Irish.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Defense is getting no pressure and Floyd going down is going to hurt. Can someone tell me if that was a bad call on the touchdown Floyd was hurt on. A win is a win and I will take it. On to Purdue.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    nice come back by clausen. i hope the toe heals sooner then later.

we missed floyd. but a win is a win with those injuries.
    Fred

• Options
    Wow! I am slowly losing years off of my life with this team. Does anyone else think that Charlie has money on the spread in some of these games? Fourth and 10 and you call a draw. Just kick it away Charlie! He needs a "don't do that" guy that stands next to him on the sideline. Bring on Washington!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a kid I was a Notre Dame fan. But...I have lost hope in the Fightin' Irish over the past few years.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Wow! No words!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could almost make aliving just betting against ND vs the spread...Have they covered even once since Week 1?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Another fun, entertaining game to watch. I like college football so much better than pro football. 4-1 so far. Way to go guys!!! Wake up the Echoes!!!
  • Options
    I will be in South Bend in two weeks. Cannot wait. Bring on the Trojans!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options

<< <i>I will be in South Bend in two weeks. Cannot wait. Bring on the Trojans! >>

Wish I was joining you up there. I had to turn down free USC tix, free hotel and free rental car as my old college roommate invited me to go with him. Already had scheduled plans with my wife that weekend to attend our 20 yr. high school reunion and she's been looking forward to it for a while now. Sometimes, doing the right thing sucks!!!

Oh well, I am getting to go to the Notre Dame vs. Washington State game in San Antonio on Halloween. Getting to take my family too. Pep rally at the Alamo on Friday night, should be a great experience for the kiddos.

Mike
  • Options
    Seems like an eternity since the last game. Big game against USC tomorrow. Come on snow and rain and cold. Make it miserable on the boys from sunny LA. Tomorrow is a game we need to win in order to start the ascent necessary in the standings to earn our BCS bowl birth. May happen, may not, we'll have to wait until they tee it up.

GO IRISH!!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USC -10, lock of the week..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    i would take the irish +10

big game today all those close games early will help the irish pull out the win today

GO IRISH!!!
    Fred