Home Sports Talk
Options

YEAH!! NO!! ?!?!? - an 2009 SF Giants thread

Comments

• Options
    that was quite a loss. bases loaded jack...
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Two starting pitchers (Lincecum & Martinez) got used as pinch runners. At one point, Freddy Sanchez (injured) and Matt Cain (tomorrow's starting pitcher) had helmets on and bats in hand in case they were needed.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Very tough loss.....

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Hope the Pandas injury is not serious.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KNBR 680 in SF was complaining this A.M. big time about the Gigantes. Damon Bruce (sitting in as host for Gary Radnich during the 9-12 morning slot) claimed that last night's loss means that the Gigantes are out of the playoff hunt. He also complained that Brian Sabean is solely at fault for the fact that over the past 6 or so years the team has been lousy, even while it had Bonds swinging the lumber.

For die hard Giants fans, it must be very tough to realize it is 55 years since they last won a title (of course Cubs fans and Bosox fans would gladly take 55 years over the long dry spells their teams had experienced and are experiencing).
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    They can get Frank Thomas cheap as a pinch hitter for the rest of the year if that helps?

James
  • Options

<< <i>KNBR 680 in SF was complaining this A.M. big time about the Gigantes. Damon Bruce (sitting in as host for Gary Radnich during the 9-12 morning slot) claimed that last night's loss means that the Gigantes are out of the playoff hunt. He also complained that Brian Sabean is solely at fault for the fact that over the past 6 or so years the team has been lousy, even while it had Bonds swinging the lumber. >>

Solid pitching and luck have gotten the Giants further than anyone expected this season. The pitching is still solid, but the luck is looking a little low.

I'm not sure if they've been killed emotionally yet, we'll see how they do with this homestand.

• Options

<< <i>They can get Frank Thomas cheap as a pinch hitter for the rest of the year if that helps? >>

Can't he play 1st anymore?

• Options
    you should watch the cubs,

you get used to it after a while
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    There is still plenty of time in the season for the Giants to make a big push for the playoffs. The Dodgers have been medicore since the All Star break. The Rockies play the Dodgers in Denver over the next few days. Maybe they can beat LA and reduce LA's division lead, while the Giants beat the Diamondbacks to keep pace. This weekend Colorado travels to the Giants to play at ATT Park. The Giants are very tough at home and if they play well against Colorado they can make up ground on both the Dodgers and Rockies.

The above said, I would like to see the Rockies take the Division and make it back to the World Series so they can have a chance at joining the Avalanche and Broncos with Championship trophies in Denver's Trophy case. If only the Nuggets had beaten LA last spring in the NBA Western Conference finals, they could have had a good shot at beating the Cavs for Denver's first NBA title.

Admittedly I like Denver's pro sports teams, even though I have not lived in Colorado for over 30 years.
  • Options
    i mentioned this some time back in a different thread but the Giants lack offense big time, they needed to go get a veteran hitter in their lineup who can jack the ball every once in a while (Holliday comes to mind)
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan I wouldn't say the Giant's are out of it. The Dodger's are playing like crap so it's possible the Rockie's AND the Giant's could both pass them. Don't give up quite yet. I think there is almost 25% of the season left!?
  • Options
    Brian Wilson.... not an "automatic closer", but he usually gets the job done in nail-biting fashion, or flames out in spectacular fashion.

I miss Robb Nen. image

• Options
    What I mentioned yesterday afternoon came true last night.

Giants beat Arizona and Colorado beat the Dodgers. The Giants kept pace with Colorado and picked up a game on the Dodgers. If a repeat occurs tonight and Thursday, the Giants will be four games back of LA and Colorado heading into the weekend series at ATT with Colorado.

Things could end up with the NL West race being a three team horse race down to the wire with two playoff spots up for grabs.

If only the Giants can find some offense on a regular basis.
  • Options

<< <i>If only the Giants can find some offense on a regular basis. >>

That's where the "luck" comes in. With Freddy Sanchez on the DL and Pablo day-to-day, I'd say that the luck is in short supply.

• Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    Giants got owned all night long by lowly Doug Davis, then showed up and played 2 innings of ball for the win. How about that?

That's two nights in a row that the Giants have won with go-ahead 3 run homers in the bottom of the 8th.

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    2009 NL Giants. Entertaining when they win. Entertaining when they lose. (Well, at least lately). Can't ask for more.

Petit, 2-8 with a 6.06 ERA v. Martinez, 3-1, but with a 5.73 ERA. Maybe we'll see some runs tomorrow.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Petit, 2-8 with a 6.06 ERA v. Martinez, 3-1, but with a 5.73 ERA. Maybe we'll see some runs tomorrow. >>

D-Backs 11, G-Men 0. Pathetic.

I didn't expect much with Pablo, Bengie, and Freddy Sanchez all on the bench with injuries.

• Options
    interesting SI article about the boy pitchers....too bad it doesnt look like they will make it to October.
    -----------------------
    the Boz
  • Options
    It's always nice when Lincecum dominates another team... especially a good one.

• Options

<< <i>It's always nice when Lincecum dominates another team... especially a good one. >>

Indeed.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    5-0 lead going into ninth inning. Game ends with Giants winning 5-3. Win or lose, Giants always seem to make it interesting.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no horse in this race, but would really like to see SF in the playoffs...they are young but play the game the way it used to be played...I was at Shea when Wilson pitched 2.2 innings of relief to get the win after blowing the save. I thought to myself, Now this team is old school!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Boch has Zito on a VERY short leash.

If he left Zito in there, I wonder if it'd have ended 5-1?

Still, Zito's turnaround since the AS break has been astounding.

I'm gald Panda shaved off his "David Ortiz"ish chin-strap beard he was wearing yesterday... that just looked silly on him.

• Options
    Down 5-2 going into bottom of the 7th? No problem. 4 runs in the 7th and 3 runs in the 8th and come away with a 9-5 victory. Nice. Win or lose, entertaining!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I just hope the Giant's and Rockie's play a lot more and beat each other about 50% of the time to keep them both behind the Dodger's. image
  • Options
    Panda pulls an 0-fer, but the rest of the hitters picked up the slack. Awesome!

• Options
    When got stunned with that horrible 14 inning game last week, many fans figured that this was the emotional death-blow to the team. The Giants responded by handling the Rockies in the first 2 games, then staging their own comeback win in the last one. 3 game sweep to tie up the Wild Card.

This is getting very interesting.

They just signed Brad Penny for the rest of the season for $75,000. Penny's been pretty bad for the past few seasons. Maybe he'll enjoy his time at AT&T Park for the rest of the year?

• Options
    269 career starts for Brad Penny and a 101-83 record. I'll take that any day for a number 4 starter.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Elite pitching won't win if you can't score runs for it. image

I'm getting really worried when Panda keeps sitting out games and limping hard when he's playing. Not good.

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Who is the Panda?
  • Options

<< <i>Who is the Panda? >>

Pablo "Kung Fu Panda" Sandoval. The only star position player the Giants have.

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Sanchez pitched very well ( plus he's on my fantasy team ) , but King Cole pitched even better.

I just picked up Zito and Sanchez. I hope the Giants get great games from those two.

I love baseball in general , but this year I've turned into a fantasy scum , where I root for the players not neccesarily for the team. SORRY.

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>I just picked up Zito and Sanchez. I hope the Giants get great games from those two. >>

Zito's really turned it up several notches since the AS break. I don't cringe when he takes the hill anymore.

• Options
    With Bengie still out, the Giants have now called up top prospect Buster Posey to show his quality.

• Options
    For a true Giants fan the 2009 team is one which will take you, emotionally, to the top of Mt. Everest one day and then less than 24 hours later will take you to the deepest part of the Marianas Trench; only to be yanked up to the top of Mt. Everest 24 hours later.

Must be tough on the psyche of a true fan, but then isn't emotion [both high and low] at the very core of sports and sports fandom? If so, this year's team delivers.

• Options
    Along with Posey, they also called up Dan Runzler, a 24 year old relief pitcher with wicked-sick numbers this year:

0.76 era, 59 ip, 5 er, 24 bb, 83 so, .797 whip

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rich, How did you like Penny today? Looked like the Penny I remember. Maybe he could be the extra push you guys need??

brian
  • Options
    Penny brought it, that's for sure. Baffled the World Champs at their own home. Now THAT's a baptism by fire!

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Wow...i really want to cheer from SF to make it into the playoffs...but.......

Lincecum pitches a beauty 7 inning 4 hit 2 run game with 11 Ks and only 1 BB and he is about to get dinged with a "L" because the team just can't hit.

really too bad. I wanted to see Lincecum win his second cy young too.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    The Giant bats don't scare anyone. What is in the water in Philly? Moyer, Pedro...those guys have to be a 100 between em'
  • Options

<< <i>The Giant bats don't scare anyone. >>

True. 3 runs in 3 games was enough for the Phills to take 2 out of 3. Pathetic.

Awesome pitching, the arms did their job, but as always, offense failed to produce.

<< <i>really too bad. I wanted to see Lincecum win his second cy young too. >>

If Tim pitched 9 innings of no-hit ball in each of his remaining starts... that's no guarentee that he'll get wins. How sad is that?

• Options
    Wow, this game could have gotten out of hand fast.

Bad Zito showed up and the Giants had to start the Pen in the 5th inning. After Miller promptly tried to initiate a warp-core breach, the rest of the bullpen restored order and slammed the door shut. Awesome.

Great pitching, great bullpen... if only the Giants could be great hitters!

• Options
    A 3-2 nail biter of a win for the Giants. Now, the Dodgers and Rockies need to go out and do their duty and have a perfect game thrown against them.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    We're wasting all of this great pitching. image

• Options
    I like the little production the Brew-Crew put on after Fielder's walkoff. I wish the Giants had something like that... not that they'd get to use it much.

Panda's walkoff on 5/12

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Dang Rich, He looks like he ate the whole Giants team. That guy will be the next Mo Vaughn if he doesn't drop some lbs.

brian
  • Options
    and he's a vegetarian!