Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Focusing, or collecting with a theme

Now that I'm back in the fold, I've bought a few coins. Nothing special, but it seems like every time I see something cool, it changes the direction of what I want to collect.

First I bought a few things on-line, mostly because they looked beautifully toned. So I thought about nicely toned world crowns. Then after I got a book (I know...I know...don't flame me), I realized one of the coins I bought wasn't all together that large. But, I was intrigued by the history of the coinage (the vatican and the papal states), so I figured I'd go with that.

Over the weekend, I took a trip to my local coin store, and I saw some nice high grade coins that seemed like a relative bargain, so I snagged them. They were both small coins. I also grabbed a Peru 1/5 Libra...a really small gold coin with an interesting die clash error. I was thinking it might be kind of humorous to put together a "iddy bitty" coin collection of nothing but really small coins from around the world. There are some small ones.

I also bought a 2-stuiver silver coin (Holland) from the early 1700's and I was realizing you can collect them by date.

Nextly, when I looked up my Peruvian 1/5 Libra, I was impressed with the beauty of Peruvian coins. This is not my first Libra...I've bought others in the past because I really love their coat of arms.

See what I mean? How do you focus??!!

So after all that, I'm thinking I'll focus on Peruvian coins, and Vatican coins, and maybe just anything really really small for the humor of it all.

I realize that if I focus too much, I'll never find coins for sale that will fill my collection. But if I don't specialize enough, I might not recognize a real rarity when it comes my way. Is the trick to specialize in a few countries? What do you do?

Steve
Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focus? What the heck is that?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I buy beauty on round metal objects. That's as focused as it get, and still keep some semblance of sanity. image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    If you limit yourself to one thing, or one small group of things, then you are invariably going to miss something you'd like to have in your collection, either from not knowing it's there, or passing on it saying it does not fit your collecting parameters. That will change... image

I don't limit myself to anything. On one hand, it's great as it gives me endless leeway with my collection; on the other, it means I may never complete a series, but that is not my overall goal.

Welcome back to the hobby, By the way. I scanned your welcome thread but was too busy to get in a welcome reply to it image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Focus is something that is important in photography.

It's okay to lose your focus a bit when collecting. But when photographing, it is almost always a mistake not to focus.
  • Options
    I have found it to be much easier and less stressful to let the 'focus' thing alone.

I hear some people telling us how we somehow may be less of a collector or how we're wasting time or money if we don't focus. Honestly, I like where I am. Though my collection is hard even for me to describe or catagorize, it's better now than ever before. However you decide to do it, best of luck and I'm sure it'll be fine.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I was able to focus exclusively for almost a week, then I forgot about it.

British is my main area of colelcting interest, then I added Germany and Switzerland as secondary areas of interest. And I stick to it until something pretty comes up from another part of the world. I was very narrowly focused for quite while, unfortunately I found myself in a position where I could only add a coin every year or two, and to be honest it wasn't fun reviewing auction catalogs for months or years at a time and not finding a coin I needed for the set. I think a lack of narrow focus has allowed me to build in other areas at different times.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    I was glad to see the responses so far because often the advice is to focus on a set or you'll end up with nothing but random coins. I don't believe that. But if true then I will call one of my sets the "Random Interesting Coins Set".

Although I do focus on a couple historic areas, Alexander the Great and his Successors, for example. I also collect any coins that I find interesting. They can be either beautiful or have historic significance or both. Often it will lead me into learning about another area of history that I knew little about before.

And don't get me started on World coins. There's so many attractive coins! You mentioned collecting Peruvian coins. I collect those also. Love 'em!

There's just way too many interesting coins.

But sometimes I do have to rein myself in a little. image

I think you will eventually gravitate to some specific areas. But don't ignore those random coins that catch your eye.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But when photographing, it is almost always a mistake not to focus. >>

Actually, out-of-focus photography has its uses. For example, Orton technique combines in-focus and out-of-focus images into a single image to create a very unique effect.

Something like this:

P.S. I know you were trying to be tongue-in-cheek. I just like showing-off some of my work image
  • Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies so far. So, most of you don't focus. So that makes me wonder what you put into the flea-bay search engine when you're looking around. Right now, I can input "Peru silver", and at least get a manageable list of stuff. How do you winnow it down? I'm also "afraid" that if I see too many things I want and buy them, I won't be able to buy more expensive stuff that I REALLY want when it comes along because I'll constantly be broke.

I'm advocating a balance. If you only see one or two coins a year that fits in your focus coinage, you need to add another country or another type. If you see too much stuff, you need to cut something out. Isn't that what naturally happens?

So what *DO* you put into the flea-bay search engine?

Over the last week or so, I've gone into Flea-bay's "World Coins" section and then typed in the following:

crown toned
    Florin toned
    ms
    toned
    toning
    peru reale
    vatican toned

etc.

Don't you all do something like that???

Steve

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    I haven't had a problem with the focus of my collection. Guess that I'm in the minority. My sig line says it all.image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    what you put into the flea-bay search engine

What ever interests me when I sit down, don't expect to find much, But a Sunday search of 1500 medals worldwide for example can often turn up something of beauty if I am boredimage

May see something here on the forum and hunt for it until purchase, or at auction.
  • Options
  • Options

Sorry I forgot you couldn't read my mind! image

If you feel you must focus, or at least have some notion of a focus then I have a solution. Rather than trying to focus on ONE thing, try focusing on a handful of sets. Have say, between 4 and 8 different collecting areas that make up the whole. I find this way I have enough focus to feel i'm heading somewhere but enough variety to avoid running the risk of losing interest. Work on one of your collections until you tire of it and then move onto one of the others.

It seems to be working for me!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Focus? What the heck is that? >>

I would love to see someone analyze and make sense of my collecting patterns.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    As others have said: why focus?

If you buy eye appealing coins on a modest budget you will eventually have a large beautiful collection. Learn the history behind the coins / era of mintage to provide a story for each piece.

Even though I am focused on completing my Canadian decimal set, I still pick up coins, tokens, and medals that catch my eye and the price is right. Some I hold onto and some I use for resale / trading.

To quote HRH: "Have fun with your coins"
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I focus on hoarding and accumulating.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome to the Darkside >>

Yeah, I see the dilemma now. image I can tell you that I was admiring my oh so few aquisitions and then I happened to catch a glimpse of a Franklin Half Dollar in the same Dansco. It was shocking how boring that coin was to me compared to he beauty of my new coins. Maybe "beauty" is a theme. I don't know. I guess I'll fumble through this.

Steve

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Welcome to the Darkside >>

Yeah, I see the dilemma now. image I can tell you that I was admiring my oh so few aquisitions and then I happened to catch a glimpse of a Franklin Half Dollar in the same Dansco. It was shocking how boring that coin was to me compared to he beauty of my new coins. Maybe "beauty" is a theme. I don't know. I guess I'll fumble through this.

Steve >>

I found that when I started venturing into Darkside, I was all over the place. There were just so many wonderful designs! After a while I found my focus and have been pretty happy with keeping it. I used to spend a few hundred dollars on 10 coins of different designs, from different countries - now I spend the same few hundred dollars on one coins to add to my primary collection. I still appreciate other Darkside designs without owning the coins.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Be careful of what you try to focus on...you might just become another numismatic failure!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focus...

Word of moment... and that moment has passedimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Forget focus.....but you can have one or more themes...ships, animals,South American etc. and then also aquire coins that catch your eye, those are sometimes the ones you will charish the mostimage

Shep