Home Sports Talk
Options

Peer into your crystal ball and sum up Michael Vicks season?

Fast forward to early February, 2010. Sum up the year that Vick had, including any protests, disturbances or other off field events.
What position did he play? How much playing time? Was he effective or a bust?
Was he a good citizen or did he end up in the dog house? Sorry image
SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.

Comments

• Options
    I believe that the NFL made a terrible mistake reinstating the guy. Not so much that he doesn't deserve the chance, but because the publicity will damage the brand. They would have been better off giving him a few million bucks to go away.

I have a dream that McNabb will be unable to complete the season and Vick will step in to lead the team to the Superbowl. What a mess that would be for the NFL.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was initially against this, but now having ascertained all the facts, I think Vick will have a productive season, and it will be extremely productive if McNabb gets injured as Vick would become the starter.

I've read all the articles and seen all the interviews, and I believe the guy deserves a second chance, and he's gonna get it...and we'll see what happens. I would be shocked if he relapsed back to the old behavior...which would result in considerable more prison time...that I just don't think will happen. He seems to be sincere working with the humane society, a great organization, to speak out against dog fighting and other animal cruelty.

Some don't want to give Vick a second chance or will be rooting against him to succeed - that's their prerogative...but I'm hopeful that Vick stays clean, and I'll be rooting for the Eagles to win a Super Bowl, with or without Michael Vick.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Vick is the scum of the earth and should have been banned from the NFL for life.

Like Al Gore said, "a zebra never changes its spots". Vick is only acting humble because he got nailed and needs to put on a good show. That anyone could root for or encourage this whacko is beyond me.

Screw Vick and the Eagles management for hiring this sicko.
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    I agree with stevek. I am not an Eagles fan. I am a Jets fan. Vick is going to be used in many different areas. Great pick up for the Eagles. Very smart move. I can`t wait to see Vick play. Will he be a Running back? Quarter back? Wide Receiver? Will be very interesting....
    Danimage
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    I say Michael Vicks show up to the stadium for his 1st game gets out of his car and gets shot in the face.

This is how I hope his season goes good luck Vick.

James
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i would think nothing great satisticly but he'll stay out trouble and get paid next year.

a couple of td's maybe 1 -2 each running catching throwing. should be interesting to see how the eagles use him. if mcnabb gets hurt those numbers could change and go way up.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>i would think nothing great satisticly but he'll stay out trouble and get paid next year.

a couple of td's maybe 1 -2 each running catching throwing. should be interesting to see how the eagles use him. if mcnabb gets hurt those numbers could change and go way up. >>

That`s what I think too. Believe me, I am not in any way saying what Vick did to those dogs is right but I really do believe he did his time, lost everything to his name and is back. The dimension he adds to the Eagles is better than most people realize. Does anyone know what week he can start playing?
    Danimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I'm totally against what Michael Vick went to prison for and I hate the fact that he's playing in the NFL, but he did pay his debt to society and the NFL is already full of thugs and criminals anyway. Looks like Vick will fit in just fine. Plus he found a great city to play for. image

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>I'm totally against what Michael Vick went to prison for and I hate the fact that he's playing in the NFL, but he did pay his debt to society and the NFL is already full of thugs and criminals anyway. Looks like Vick will fit in just fine. Plus he found a great city to play for. image

Brian >>

<<< but he did pay his debt to society >>>

Absolutely right - it's not like he got away with something here. And let's not forget the blown money from lost wages, lost endorsements, etc., that cost him substantially. Nobody is condoning what Vick did, including himself, and he paid a steep price for it.

I think an interesting aspect about this is how he handles the boos, and the boos will be there...some athletes relish it, and some wilt from it...we'll soon see how Michael Vick responds.
  • Options

<< <i>That`s what I think too. Believe me, I am not in any way saying what Vick did to those dogs is right but I really do believe he did his time, lost everything to his name and is back. >>

He may have did his time when it comes to the law stand point. But in his his head he not sorry one bit for what he has done and
    would do it again if he thought he could get away with it. He is only sorry for got caught and had to go to jail. To me your doing your
    time in jail doesn't mean image if you are not truely sorry for what you have done. When you see him say he is sorry on T.V. it
    is just and act.

Just another thug that can play football wanting another chance. It's fun if he didn't know how to play football I bet you he would be
    in jail right now for some other dumb image reason.

James
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vick is garbage...this whole remorse act is the best PR stunt I've seen in a while...hopefully he gets injured so we don't have to watch this dirtbag on the field..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I was initially against this, but now having ascertained all the facts,

LMAO, by facts, I guess you mean "signing with the Eagles."

And you'd be shocked if he reverts to his prior behavior? Really? The guy who can sniff a scam a mile away can't really be that naive can he? Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed that study that shows that the vast majority of criminals no longer wind up engaging in the same illegal behavior once they get out of jail and "have paid their dues." The penal system thanks you, Steve, for that revelation, for surely now overcrowding in prison will no longer be an issue! LOL...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The entire community would be better off if criminals were not allowed to have a job after they leave prison. Just think about what they would do to fill their day and how much more productive they could be

The NFL and the Eagles are making a huge mistake letting him play football instead of going back to running dog fighting rings
    Tom
  • Options
    The NFL and the Eagles are making a huge mistake letting him play football instead of going back to running dog fighting rings

In Vick's case, those pursuits are not mutually exclusive, as we've already seen..

• Options
    As we can see just on this board there are a wide variety of opinions on this subject. I`m just happy Football season is right around the corner because I hate baseball!!! LOL
    Danimage
  • Options

<< <i>The entire community would be better off if criminals were not allowed to have a job after they leave prison. Just think about what they would do to fill their day and how much more productive they could be

The NFL and the Eagles are making a huge mistake letting him play football instead of going back to running dog fighting rings >>

Playing in the NFL is not a right, but a privilege that is earned both on and off the field. Let the guy scrub toilets at McDonalds for a few years.
  • Options
    As we can see just on this board there are a wide variety of opinions on this subject. I`m just happy Football season is right around the corner because I hate baseball!!! LOL
    Dan

Ditto! As a Mets fan, I've grown to hate baseball this season, too, LOL!

• Options
    Mopping floors at McDonalds is also a privilege, not a right. Micheal Vick or anyone else who has been to prison should not be allowed to do that either. Anyone thinking differently must have rocks in their head

Just because the Eagles or a McDonalds restaurant have the right to hire him does not mean it is a good thing and just ends up hurting everyone
    Tom
  • Options
    I have no problem with Vick get a job after jail just not in football pro athletes should be role models not thugs.
    Players these days say they aren't role models and say kids shouldn't look up to them that thug talk for when I
    caught doing whatever I'm into to not blame me because I told you I am not a role model.

Kids now a days look at these thugs and say hey I can be a pro Athlete make millions of dollars kill dogs, kill people, Rape,
    sleep around when married, shoot, stab, spit on, run over people and hey if you get caught you can go to jail and have
    a job paying you million of dollars waiting for you when you get out.

THAT'S BULLimage
  • Options

<< <i>Mopping floors at McDonalds is also a privilege, not a right. Micheal Vick or anyone else who has been to prison should not be allowed to do that either. Anyone thinking differently must have rocks in their head

Just because the Eagles or a McDonalds restaurant have the right to hire him does not mean it is a good thing and just ends up hurting everyone >>

You are correct. McDonalds has no obligation to hire a scumbag like him. At least when McD's kills animals, they put cheese and pickles on em and grill them to perfection.
  • Options
    Bet you if Vick couldn't play football as a kid and got a job at McDonalds he would be the guy you see on T.V. spitting
    into your food that how image up in the head he is.

James
  • Options

<< <i>Bet you if Vick couldn't play football as a kid and got a job at McDonalds he would be the guy you see on T.V. spitting
    into your food that how image up in the head he is.

James >>

He could learn a thing or two from his fine brother Marcus. Seems that he got arrested a few years ago for pulling a gun on a couple guys at a fast food restaurant. Wonder what prison he is residing at.
  • Options

<< <i>Wonder what prison he is residing at >>

So long as he is kept out of the workforce we will be safe
    Tom
  • Options
    Mama Vick ought to be proud of the two fine young men she's raised...I hear Chunky is trying to get her to do a joint commercial with Mrs. McNabb as we speak..

• Options

<< <i>Mama Vick ought to be proud of the two fine young men she's raised...I hear Chunky is trying to get her to do a joint commercial with Mrs. McNabb as we speak.. >>

Perhaps she can get together with Lady Pacman, Madame Burris and Dame Stallworth and form a networking group for mamas of losers.
  • Options

<< <i>He could learn a thing or two from his fine brother Marcus. Seems that he got arrested a few years ago for pulling a gun on a couple guys at a fast food restaurant. >>

If Vick wasn't a football player who you think would have been driven the getaway car?

James
  • Options

<< <i>Mama Vick ought to be proud of the two fine young men she's raised...I hear Chunky is trying to get her to do a joint commercial with Mrs. McNabb as we speak.. >>

They can all star in new reality show (Desperate Thugs Moms) are those there real moms our are they there aunts our grandmothers that
    raised them our did the just raise themselfs???????

James
  • Options
    As a life long die hard Eagles fan I'll say that I do not agree with the decision to sign Vick. I wish that they had taken the high road and avoided the situation completely. For me this will taint any success for the team this year.

I also believe that the league and union bear much of the blame for allowing felons to regain their position with teams soon after serving time. In Vick's case I believe that a one season evaluation period following release from prison would have been appropriate and should be the norm in many cases.

I do not agree that the prison time and league punishment should run concurrently.

Money talks and in this case and others the dollar is screaming.
  • Options

<< <i> I was initially against this, but now having ascertained all the facts,

LMAO, by facts, I guess you mean "signing with the Eagles."

And you'd be shocked if he reverts to his prior behavior? Really? The guy who can sniff a scam a mile away can't really be that naive can he? Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed that study that shows that the vast majority of criminals no longer wind up engaging in the same illegal behavior once they get out of jail and "have paid their dues." The penal system thanks you, Steve, for that revelation, for surely now overcrowding in prison will no longer be an issue! LOL... >>

Hey, I'm not gonna knock your viewpoint on this one bit because it's valid. But just to clarify my viewpoint, I have always stated that to me sports is entertainment, and to the owners it's first and foremost about the money and winning games normally equates into making more money for the owners.....and though I admire athletes for their skills and performances, and I enjoy sports immensely, I rarely if ever care much about what they do off the field, except when they exemplify good things such as charity work for which they or anyone else should be applauded. And again..."off the field" Vick paid dearly for his crimes - paid his debt to society...and if he repeats the behavior, will pay a lot more which is pretty good incentive not to repeat the behavior.

Yes, there is a high recidivism rate for criminals, but it's not 100%, and in this case, it is my "opinion" that Vick will never return to participating in dogfighting. Hey, it's only my opinion and if he relapses, then he relapses, and he goes back to prison, and I'll continue to root hard for my Eagles one way or the other.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Like Al Gore said, "a zebra never changes its spots". >>

He did say that . I glad he understands Zebras.

He also claimed to have invented the internet.

One thing that can pretty well sum it all up , with his all of his thoughts , are that he is REALLY consistant .

Thanks for the laugh .
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stevek states...I was initially against this, but now having ascertained all the facts...

Here's some friggin facts for ya...ALL VERIFIABLE

FACT 1 - Vick personally hung dogs in trees, after they were cut down and found to still be alive, the dogs were re-hung till death.

FACT 2 - Vick personally drowned dogs in 5 gallon buckets till they died.

FACT 3 - Vick personally slammed dogs to the ground until either their backs or necks were broken.

FACT 4 - Vick personally doused dogs with water and then electrocuted them to death.

FACT 5 - Vick personally used rape cages to impregnate female pit bulls AND, A-N-D... had the females teeth removed so she couldn't defend herself against agressive male pit bulls.

FACT 6 - Vick personally obtained 5, F-I-V-E stun guns in 2002 to control and then "get rid of" non-performing pit bull fighters.

FACT 7 - Vick personally on at least two occassions placed family pets into the pit bull fighting ring because "he thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls injure or kill the other dogs"

FACT 8 - Vick personally lied to Roger Goodell, Arthur Blank, Bobby Petrinno, the Atlanta Falcon fans and the public numerous times and I do mean NUMEROUS times.

FACT 9 - Vick personally failed a lie detector test in 2007 and then fessed up to what he'd done.

Oh gee, did I forget his flipping off the Atlanta fan after a game? Surely I didn't forget the water bottle inciident in Miami with the "secret compartment" that he kept his jewelry in, oh my goodness, it couldn't possibly have been for pot, could it?

Steve...you are dumber than a bag of rocks. The only thing in your sad little Philadelphia world is winning sports events, no matter who, how or where. Enjoy your new quarterback, I hope his presence brings nothing but MASSIVE disappointment to any Philly fan stupid enough to cheer and encourage this sicko that you now seem to enjoy so much.

• Options
    Stevek states...I was initially against this, but now having ascertained all the facts...

FACT 1 - Vick personally hung dogs in trees, after they were cut down and found to still be alive, the dogs were re-hung till death.

FACT 3 - Vick personally slammed dogs to the ground until either their backs or necks were broken.

FACT 4 - Vick personally doused dogs with water and then electrocuted them to death.

FACT 5 - Vick personally used rape cages to impregnate female pit bulls AND, A-N-D... had the females teeth removed so she couldn't defend herself against agressive male pit bulls.

FACT 6 - Vick personally obtained 5, F-I-V-E stun guns in 2002 to control and then "get rid of" non-performing pit bull fighters.

FACT 7 - Vick personally on at least two occassions placed family pets into the pit bull fighting ring because "he thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls injure or kill the other dogs"

FACT 8 - Vick personally lied to Roger Goodell, Arthur Blank, Bobby Petrinno, the Atlanta Falcon fans and the public numerous times and I do mean NUMEROUS times.

FACT 9 - Vick personally failed a lie detector test in 2007 and then fessed up to what he'd done.

Oh gee, did I forget his flipping off the Atlanta fan after a game? Surely I didn't forget the water bottle inciident in Miami with the "secret compartment" that he kept his jewelry in, oh my goodness, it couldn't possibly have been for pot, could it?

Steve...you are dumber than a bag of rocks. The only thing in your sad little Philadelphia world is winning sports events, no matter who, how or where. Enjoy your new quarterback, I hope his presence brings nothing but MASSIVE disappointment to any Philly fan stupid enough to cheer and encourage this sicko that you now seem to enjoy so much.

• Options

<< <i>Stevek states...I was initially against this, but now having ascertained all the facts...

Steve...you are dumber than a bag of rocks. The only thing in your sad little Philadelphia world is winning sports events, no matter who, how or where. Enjoy your new quarterback, I hope his presence brings nothing but MASSIVE disappointment to any Philly fan stupid enough to cheer and encourage this sicko that you now seem to enjoy so much. >>

Hey chit for brains - I already clearly stated I don't condone what Vick did, or can't you comprehend English? Understand now dopey? Probably not. LOL

Yes, I will "enjoy" the new quarterback with the stipulations I've already provided...mainly that he stay clean, and that he works hard and performs well on the field. You wanna always hate Vick no matter what, then you go right ahead...I'm willing along with Eagles management, Tony Dungy, the Humane Society, and many others, to give him a second chance.
  • Options
    PITA would still like to skewer him. Then again, they are still mad at obama for swatting a fly.

What do those nuts do when termites start consuming their homes?
  • Options

<< <i>PITA would still like to skewer him. Then again, they are still mad at obama for swatting a fly.

What do those nuts do when termites start consuming their homes? >>

Serve the termites various paper products for dessert? LOL
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vick will get speratic playing time, nothing more nothing less until McNabb gets hurt ofcourse then Eagles fans will be rooting for him.