Home Metal Detecting

Went metal detecting for the first time ever today

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
I bought a Garrett 250 as a Christmas present for myself, but, relocated for a new job shortly thereafter and never used it. I decided to take it out today and search the lot behind a condemned apartment building near my office. I decided to put the sniper coil on it, thinking it might help a novice avoid digging junk.

It's a poor neighborhood and I'm inexperienced, so I wasn't expecting much. The first signal I dug was an aluminum dog tag, for a dog, not a serviceman. The next signal I dug was a 1963D cent. I figured finding any coin was a good sign that the detector works, and that I have at least minimal competence in using it.

In the course of two hours, I also dug up the ring of a pull tab, two coin size pieces of scrap metal, and a Zincoln.

Although I didn't find much, I enjoyed myself and am gaining some experience.

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful. You don't know what you are getting into. Now you can't wait for tomorrow or the next time to get the ole detector out.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Be careful. You don't know what you are getting into. Now you can't wait for tomorrow or the next time to get the ole detector out. >>

You're correct. I do intend to use it tomorrow.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah the incurable bite of the MD bug..... the only relief is more detecting....image Cheers, RickO
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The joy you felt digging the Lincoln cent will, slowly, after time, abate a little bit the more you detect. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • well you found the tag.now lets dig up that dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1keep swinging.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never gone MD, but I can easily see where it could get very addictive!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My second or third coin was a 1917 cent in my backyard of my old house. It was built early in the last century anyway.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21