Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just finished a set

I'm pleased so I thought I'd share. This is the 1984 Star Basketball Set which is loaded with rookies. These all came from sealed bags that I opened myself, so all are legit. The Jordan has some discoloring on the corners from being on the top of the bag (been known to happen), but it's one of the better centered I've seen and I have no real desire to upgrade, especially since BGS decided they would grade these and prices have taken a jump. This took about 2 years and around $2300 for me to complete. I even bought the "Last 10 ROY's" set (White Jordan at the bottom) before I found out they were apparently printed in the 90s and sold on Shop at Home with a few other Star sets. The two toughest sets for me to find were the Celtics and the Special Set (included Olympic team and Award winners with two Jordan's).

Contrary to popular belief, although the regular Jordan has been counterfeited (badly), it was never reprinted by Star or anybody else after 1984. I'm still not sure why PSA declines to grade these; if they took the time to do their research they would easily be able to which ones are counterfeits. Based on the amount of BGS slabbed singles and bagged sets that have popped up on ebay, PSA is leaving a ton of money on the table because they don't feel like taking the time to get their facts straight about this set.

Comments

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Lee - Congrats on wrapping the set up. Thanks for the scans, it's not a set that I've seen alot of. image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Lee image

That white Jordan is very cool.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Do you plan on leaving the set raw, have BGS grade them, or wait for the day PSA decides to grade these?
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    I didn't know you collected.I thought you were just here to break balls.J/k.Seriously though very nice and very underrated set.
    Mike
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Lee
    Do you know how/where these sets were originally sold?
    Stores, mail order, what?
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Congrats ....nice looking cards.
  • Options
    Nice Lee, those star cards are great and I agree with you alot of people don't have the correct info on these cards and think all of them were reprinted which is not true at all..

Some of my favorite basketball cards for sure.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I didn't know you collected.I thought you were just here to break balls.J/k.Seriously though very nice and very underrated set.

Actually, I'm making this whole thing up. I stole these scans from somebody else. I actually have no cards and just go on message boards making fun of people. It's kind of like a job.

Do you plan on leaving the set raw, have BGS grade them, or wait for the day PSA decides to grade these?

Keeping them raw. I don't have any slabbed cards in my collection. Why am I on this message board? I don't know.

Do you know how/where these sets were originally sold? Stores, mail order, what?

My understanding is that the majority were sold during NBA games at the home team's arena. E.g. Bulls sets were sold at the Bulls arena, etc... Not sure what happened with the leftovers that didn't sell. Most of the bags had a print run somewhere between 2,000-5,000. I wasn't into basketball in the mid 80s so I have no first hand knowledge of how they were sold.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice job, love the colors.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That white Jordan is very cool. >>

Agreed. I like both of those Larry Bird cards as well....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    Very nice, congrats!

There goes the REAL 1986 Fleer set... Jordan's true RC

I wonder why PSA dosen't grade these? Because of the reprint probalems? Fleer also has reprints, so whats the probalem with this set?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure what happened with the leftovers >>

People usually bring them home in those neat little styrofoam boxes. You should get some. That way, you won't have to recycle as much food back onto other people's plates.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee, congrats on the set. I've always liked that Star Jordan card.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lee
    Do you know how/where these sets were originally sold?
    Stores, mail order, what? >>

Back in the day when Pacific Trading Cards was a going concern Mr. Cramer had all the team bags and as I recall was selling the bags for $20.00 each. I don't know where he got them, but he always had tons of regional stuff from all over the nation. Must have worked with other shop owners from all over. This was 1986/87 and way out of my budget. I could only afford one box of 86/87 Fleer for $11.00! I think he was selling complete sets for $10.00. Where is that time machine!

Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    How can you tell which bagged sets are the reprints and which are the originals? I've always liked them but stayed away just for that reason. I remember back in the 80s seeing 5x7s of these star company basketball cards. Anyone know anything about those?

Congrats on your completion, completer.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    nice set!!!

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    How can you tell which bagged sets are the reprints and which are the originals?

As far as I know there are no bagged reprints of any kind that were made; this was the misconception that I was talking about. The only cards printed after the fact were the ones sold on Shop at Home- 84 Last 10 ROY, 85 Crunch n Munch, 85 Lite All Stars and 85 Lakers are the ones I know about for sure, but I think there were a couple others. Those can't be considered reprints because the sets were never made in 1984; they are basically 90s sets with Star '84 printed on them.

Jordan (regular and OLY), Barkley and Stockton have been counterfeited, but holding them up next to the real ones will make it apparent which ones are fakes. There may be others but none that I know about.

edit: I've heard rumors about fake Bulls bags floating around out there, but inside are the original team sets with the Jordan replaced by a counterfeit.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Sweet cards dude. Be sure to check my bucket. I'll trade you a 1/1 signed patch Glenn Davis RC for those.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Lee, very nice! image

You make it sound sooooooooooooooooooo easy (i.e., original vs. reprints, counterfeits, etc.) to tell the difference!

And you may be correct (i.e., putting the real Barkley and Stockton next to the counterfeit).

Then let me pose a question;

Why can't PSA tell the difference between Star originals vs. fakes? Is it because reprints are identical to the originals? image

I too, have always admired that series! Good job!

rd

P.S. I remember those "team bags" all over the place, way back when!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Nice set Lee.

• Options
    Congrats man!
    That blue bordered Jordan ROY card is sweet, as is the Dr. J card .......
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Great job, Lee.

Who are the reputable sources for Star basketball sets/singles? Thanks.

Robert
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    are those the old-school non-recessed screw downs?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Who are the reputable sources for Star basketball sets/singles? Thanks.

Reputable really isn't an issue if you're buying bagged sets.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not being very clear, are you saying that all Jordans are counterfeit and that they were reprinted by Star and others after 1984?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Lee.

I bought them back in the late 80s for my son - I believe - he popped them out of the bag. I don't remember what I paid - but it wasn't anything like when the price exploded.

I don't remember the thing on the counterfeits - didn't someone have the original plates but they couldn't get the ink/stock just right - and one can tell the difference?

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Lee...image

Not too many people give the STAR sets any love, but I like the sets.

It could be I'm easily amused by all the bright colors...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    i'm pretty sure the reason psa wont grade them is because in the early 90s, the original plates that were used in 1984 were used again to print more sets and it is difficult to detect if you have ones from the original press run in 84 or the ones printed later.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i'm pretty sure the reason psa wont grade them is because in the early 90s, the original plates that were used in 1984 were used again to print more sets and it is difficult to detect if you have ones from the original press run in 84 or the ones printed later. >>

This has been addressed here many times.
  • Options

A serious question here Lee.. The first card pictured seems short top to bottom, with much less border than the card beside it. Is that normal?
  • Options
    A serious question here Lee.. The first card pictured seems short top to bottom, with much less border than the card beside it. Is that normal?

Good question nightcrawler, I'm glad you axed. Quality control with Star was all over the place leading to some horribly inconsistent cutting. A lot of sets were cut short and some were cut big. I just did a card for card comparison between the Bulls set and the Special set and the Bulls were all significantly shorter across the board. The obvious trouble with this in terms of grading is that it makes it a lot tougher to detect trimming, which might be the real reason PSA won't grade these. In the end, the only safe way to buy these is in the sealed bag. All of the cards within the bag should be very similar in terms of size and centering.
  • Options

Thanks Lee, congrats again on a great set. image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nice Set Lee, I would definately like to have those in my collection.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good question nightcrawler, I'm glad you axed. Quality control with Star was all over the place leading to some horribly inconsistent cutting. A lot of sets were cut short and some were cut big. I just did a card for card comparison between the Bulls set and the Special set and the Bulls were all significantly shorter across the board. The obvious trouble with this in terms of grading is that it makes it a lot tougher to detect trimming, which might be the real reason PSA won't grade these. In the end, the only safe way to buy these is in the sealed bag. All of the cards within the bag should be very similar in terms of size and centering. >>

So then what you're saying is that the shorter cards come from the printing plates that were re-used in the 90s?
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Lee! Thanks for posting the scans too. I don't know much about these sets but it's cool learning, and I really like them.

I like them so much, in fact, that I'm reprinting them in my basement right now.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Do you have any idea how much Crunch n Munch I ate to get one card per box? I know I had at least 3 Olajuwons and 2 Darryl Dawkins. I can't remember what else. The cards were cool. The Crunch n Munch was good too. Dental bills, not so much...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.