Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions please

There's a rare 6d for sale on ebay. I wanted to get your opinions on condition and surfaces (I've already formed mine). As you can see from the auction, the price has already taken off. This is I believe only the third high grade example I've ever seen for sale.

I thought the seller's writeup about the Royal Mint in 1882 was interesting. It is most certainly a very tough date for all silver struck that year.
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Unc. but the image makes it look cleaned. Nice strong die crack.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It is really hard to tell from that image, but I am leaning toward "Genuine". Lots of little marks, so on a good day it might slide through as a 58-62, although the details look unc it looks to me like friction in the fields.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I agree with ajaan, it looks like it's been cleaned in the past.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Looks original but the absence of luster in the fields and the amount of dings lead me to believe it is Circ and no higher than ms 50,,,,, IF it is Unc, I would say 60

The rim notches on the rev makes me think this was mounted. 8 , 10 and 3
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Cleaned or circ., plus the gash on the rev. might result in a 'no grade'.

In any event, there's a nicer one in the PCGS Registry. imageimage
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. I wasn't going to bid unless it was cheap, but £180 is a bit much at this point. I'm glad I found my example in, of all places, a MN coin show.

Can anyone who has an account tell me if NGC has any MS pop of this date?

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for the responses. I wasn't going to bid unless it was cheap, but £180 is a bit much at this point. I'm glad I found my example in, of all places, a MN coin show.

Can anyone who has an account tell me if NGC has any MS pop of this date? >>

NGC has graded ZERO sixpences of this date.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero of this date according to their pop. Take that with a grain of salt. According to their census no Thai coins have been graded by NGC. It isn't true.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Zero of this date according to their pop. Take that with a grain of salt. According to their census no Thai coins have been graded by NGC. It isn't true. >>

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Zero of this date according to their pop. Take that with a grain of salt. According to their census no Thai coins have been graded by NGC. It isn't true. >>

Don, not trying to hijack the posters thread, but I'm morbidly curious about an MS67 Swiss Franc (One franc) dated 1943 that I just "found" in my closet. How does it measure up?

Now, regarding the poster's thread, it does look like it has a little rub on the upper cheek and the ear, so its likely a high AU. If it was BU, I'm more generous and I'd say its a 63 to a shot 65 because she only give the impression that she's fallen down on her front yard, rather than hurt her face wrecking her skateboard. image

Steve
    Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    NGC has graded ZERO sixpences of this date.

Kewl! Top pop (and only one on record as graded) at both big TPGs then...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pass- very disturbing fields

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I agree with everyone's comments about cleaning. The darkness across the head and fields definitely indicate as such. The periphery looks more original and that is frequently the case for cleaned pieces. I never liked the coin either, but as I said above, I would have gone for it at £100 or less, given its understated rarity. That's academic now. It's at £205 with 23 bids!! image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous price, and that is as you say a L100 coin. I have a couple and like to think of them as scarcer bits. I have seen more problems with the shilling of this date in terms of getting true uncs, and wonder if the floring llack of minting of the florin was due to the shutdown at the mint. The 3d somewhat scarce and won't go there with the London minted penny.

Back to this coin: it appears to have a cloth or similar cleaning with luster loss uniformly across the fields and devices but with retained luster about the lettering. I think it was a GEF save for the mentioned gash but for this cleaning which, once again IMO, really dinged the quality and therefore value.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Now up to £225. I'd sure like to know where these bidders are when I have auctions!!! image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks cleaned, based on the lack of luster in the fields.
  • Options
    This has been one of the crazier ebay auctions I've seen in a while. 37 bids, £452. In the middle of the summer, yet!!!

Does this mean that a PCGS slabbed MS grade piece would sell for more? Don't bet on it. We're talking about "bidiots" here (I love that term, wish I could lay claim to its coining).

By an interesting coincidence, another seller has listed an 1882 as UNC, but has very poor pictures. This auction has been quiet for quite some time and is only just now attracting interest from the also-rans.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bidiots

What a classic! image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    IMO something un-natural has happened to that coin.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com