Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1952 Topps Baseball MASTER SET new criteria

Does anyone have any feedback about the new "gray backs" for the cards 131-190??? ... personally, I have several cards which I am not even sure WHICH they are? Seems to me it's an unqualified addition to the master set criteria. I'm curious how others feel.
-- Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I think that's a crazy addition. It will result in nobody being able to complete the set.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    it has till got to be easier than the t206 master set!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    ehazukaehazuka Posts: 63 ✭✭

No doubt it's an easier set than the T206 ... image ... at least you can FIND all the '52Ts!!! ... at which point it's just a question of whether or not you can find all the dollar$ to put the set together.

Anyways, yeah, I need to see some examples of graded "gray backs." I think I can differentiate, but still not SURE. I guess the rather WHITE backs will be much brighter? I've always just thought that a different physical card stock was used for the "white" printing giving them the brighter look. I'm still not sold on the quantified variation but I'll continue to watch for the differences and certainly appreciate any further technical feedback that anyone can provide to help describe the difference. I guess I'll be paying another $5 per re-holder for any "grays" that I currently have - similar to what we had to do when it was (correctly) determined by PSA that the 1-80 black backs should be differentiated ...

... even I can tell the difference 'tween THOSE cards ... image
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I qualify as one of Bob's nobodies.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyways, yeah, I need to see some examples of graded "gray backs." I think I can differentiate, but still not SURE. I guess the rather WHITE backs will be much brighter? >>

I have one, 168 Charles Silvera. The back is the same gray as used in cards 81-130.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    Is it slabbed? If so, do you plan to pay the $5 to have it re-holdered and accurately labeled? ... If not, do you plan to slab it??? ... and, either way probably be able to eBay it for 10x what you paid for it!??!??! ...

I'm finding this insane...
  • Options
    i think this is psa's way of drumming up more business..lol
    my t-205's

• Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    I never had it graded. It's in really bad shape, a PSA 2 maybe. Now that I know that PSA is id'ing it properly, I may.

I didn't pay much for it, at best $5.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options

<< <i>I qualify as one of Bob's nobodies. >>

add me into that bunch
    my t-205's

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    A master set should have all variations, if not then it is not a master set. If one does not want to go after the master set, there is the basic set.

I think this is the correct move, as well as the T206.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Kwtoz.
    Please email me at jehall51@zoominternet.net
    Thanks.
    John
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will these sell for a premium? I don't see any on eBay yet. I have 7 of them raw in PSA 2 and 3 condition, and maybe its worth it to get them slabbed now.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I just threw a psa 5 1952 topps Al Tipton # 134 gray back on ebay! Who knows if it will sell, but I hope it does. I am sure it is the "highest" grey back out there, seeing as how they just started IDing them as such....

B
  • Options

One was going after the Master set. One just didn't see this writing on the wall. You let me know when you see a graded '52 Topps card in "Gray Back" ... I'll be darned if I can find one HERE ...

http://www.psacard.com/pop/Detail.aspx?c=49722

... understand this one's dilemma????
  • Options

<< <i>Will these sell for a premium? I don't see any on eBay yet. I have 7 of them raw in PSA 2 and 3 condition, and maybe its worth it to get them slabbed now. >>

I have had a saved search for them for some time, just to have some examples with my set. They defintely go for a premium and do not come up that often on e bay. I have the set, the first 80 in BW and R, the Sain and Page and Campos cards 3 ways, and the Mantle, Robinson and Thompson variations. I decided the grey/gray backs are not doable for me. I do not mind spending a lot of time looking for a card or two, but finding this many scarce variations is quite a chore, unless maybe a set of them goes up for auction....and if that happens the price tag will be interesting

Al
  • Options
    a great accomplishment for sure if ever completed.
    -----------------------
    the Boz
  • Options
    The Mantle, Robinson, and Thompson right and left stitch variations are MUCH more deserving to be identified in the Master set.

Next would be the color variations of Ketrow, Scarborough, Boone, and Wehmeier.

Putting 50 gray backs in the Master set is rediculous . Not only are they nearly impossible to find, they are almost always in poor condition. A collector would spend a fortune only to reduce the overall grade of his set.

Ron Hobbs
    TWINRON
  • Options

Ron, I'm with you. I have been hearing arguments to the contrary, however, in that a couple of other late '50s Topps baseball sets do also include a "gray back" series. I know nothing about any set OTHER than this '52T set, so I take their word for it.

To me, this variation is more about the darned cardboard stock that was used for these cards than it is about any type of printing variation. It's a fine line, but again, I'm with you.

I do know of at least a couple of other '52T master set collectors that have just thrown up their arms at this point. Most figured that if they had the Campos, Page and Sain errors, (and a Mantle), that they would be able to piece together the complete Master set.

It's probably just "sour grapes" on my part at this point (having all of the above cards, too!); after all, on the 1952 Topps - Master registry page (and probably at the top of EVERY Master Registry Page), PSA does state "Notes: This set is a work in progress. As new varieties are graded, they may be added to the set."

That said, I guess we'll just see how long it takes for folks to submit all 60 gray back cards ... and for them to show up in the Pop Report ... and therefore become valid entries to the master set. It's going to be a REAL task for PSA to weight these items, as they use the sale price of PSA 8s to come up with the weight.

This is the weight breakdown chart for the 1952 Topps master set. Again, they use the sale price of PSA 8s to come up with the weight.

10 80K+
    9 70K-40K
    8 30K-10K
    7 9999-8000
    6 7999-6000
    5 5999-4000
    4 3999-2000
    3 1999-1000
    2 999-500
    1 <500

• Options

Bishop, is your set in the Registry?
  • Options
    Wow--- PSA has graded a gray stock #134- Joe Tipton as a PSA 5. A rare 1 of 1 (sic).

This is the only graded gray stock card. It must be a very expensive and rare entry into the 1952 Topps Master set.

NOW there is NO 100% completed Master set in the Registry. All sets have been "UPGRADED" to show that they are missing the #134-gray stock card--------- HOW OBSURED IS THAT!

This is only the tip of a distructive iceberg by the PSA Titanic.
    A sad day in Mudville.
    TWINRON
  • Options

Yup, only one gray back graded so far. Bkritz has it up for sale on ebay. I don't suspect that I'll pursue this run of 60 cards. For now I intend to finish the master set as defined previously, and we'll see where the volume and sale prices of these gray stock cards brings us.
  • Options
    Looking the #134 on eBay, I cannot tell the difference between a Gray Back and a non-Gray back

Can anyone elighten me?
  • Options

DRS,

I just forwarded you a personal email that contains a thread that I hope SHOULD help you.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Most 131-190 series cards will be printed on a white cardboard stock. On a gray back card the back will look very similar to cards from 81-130 and 191-407. The front of a gray back card will most often be found with a color ranging ivory/tan on a dull matte "unpainted/unfinished" type surface. These are the "easy" gray backs to find and every gray back will be rarer than the Campos variation. There also exists gray backs that have the same "painted/finished" white front as regular cards with white backs. These are exceptionally hard to find.

It's important for the registry to have set compositions that reflect how collectors like to collect a set. That's why PSA has both the Basic Set and Master Set. Nobody is forced into attempting a Master set unless that's what they want to collect. The gray backs shouldn't be in the Master Set, but they are highly sought after by those who do collect them and there should be set on the registry that allows collectors to build a set containing the more difficult variations that people don't want in the Master Set.

It only makes sense that when PSA takes a look at the issue that the Master Set will go back to the way it was and a third new way to collect the 1952 Topps set will be added. The new set can add the gray backs, 311-313, and all the low number color variations including the couple that Twinron mentioned and the others that exist. Everybody can collect the kind of set they want. If your grade average drops moving up to the next level set because your 2nd Mantle or grays are in lower grade, then the same drop applies to every other person trying to collect the same set as you.
  • Options
    Very appropriate commentary KbKards--

It would make sense to have a tradional "Master Set" with the red/black 1-80 cards, and the Page/Sain error cards.

Then establish a "Super Master Set" that would add the 60 gray backs, the 6 various color variations, the Feller clear/hazy line, the Campos black star, and the 311-313 left and right stitch variations.

There would be a realistic goal for many collectors to complete the 407-card Basic Set and 489-card Master Set, and the 560-card "Super Master Set" could compete without having to worry about a 100% completion.
    TWINRON
  • Options
    I sent my above comments to Joe Orlando.
    It would not be a bad idea for affected 1952 Topps collectors
    to communicate your thoughts directly to Joe
    TWINRON
  • Options
    I am trying to complete a 1952 Topps 131-190 gray back set. I have several cards to trade. If you have any of these for trade or sale, graded or ungraded, please email me at jehall51@zoominternet.net. Thanks. John
  • Options

<< <i>

Next would be the color variations of Ketrow, Scarborough, Boone, and Wehmeier.

Ron Hobbs >>

I have these variations, but believe they in all cases coincide with the black versus red back variations, so if you have those, you have both. The reported Crandall variation, red versus orange background, may be different.

I am not a registry person, but have all the Topps sets and generally they are in "master" form as to front and back differences that are not stock related

Al
  • Options
    Hi all,

On my 52 Gray back Tipton PSA 5, I have gotten a ton of questions. To my eye and in person, the Tipton back looks very much like any other GRAY back from the other series. Holding it side by side to a gray back Holcombe # 95 that I have, the Tipton is slightly lighter gray but is indeed a gray back. The white backs from the 2nd series are so, so much whiter (or ivory). I do not have any white backed 52s here, or I would do a side by side comparison with one.

The Tipton is indeed a gray back, not a faded white back or an altered white back. PSA did not make a holdering error or anything like that, nor am I trying to pull a fast one, as some ebay questions have implied!

I hope that this post clears up some of the questions I have been getting.

Best,

B
  • Options
    Bishop. The low number front color variations that Ron posted about are not tied to the back color. There are 2 distinct front color variations on many cards from the low series. Some are very obvious like the ones Ron mentioned, and some are more subtle. Take a look at bunch of cards like #55 Ray Boone and separate them into two piles based on front color - green or yellow. Look at the backs on the green front pile and they will all be black backs. Look at the backs on the yellow front pile and you'll find both red and black backs. There is without a doubt 3 distinct variations.
  • Options
    Bishop--

The color variations I mentioned are not red or black related.

#42-Kretlow Black back has a yellow (var) or a peach background.
    The red back has a peach background only.

The same with #43-Scarborough.

#55-Boone Black back has a Lt. green (var) or Dk. olive background
    #55-Boone Red back has a Lt. olive (var) or Dk. olive background.

#80-Wehmeier Black back has a Yellow/Red background (var) or
    a Orange/Red background.
    The Red back has an Orange/Red background only.

The #162-Crandell has an Orange (var) or Red background.
    However, I don't have the Orange background card, so it may be the gray stock version. ???

I do have scans in my Registry Master Set, so you can observe the differences. The Ron Hobbs Family Collection
    TWINRON
  • Options

Ron,

Great news ... the #134 gray back has been removed from the composite for the '52 Master Set ... you spoke and Joe listened. I guess we should be on the lookout; coming soon, a "Super Master" '52T registry set.
  • Options
    KbKards,
    Please email me at jehall51@zoominternet.net.
    Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    HEY! I think Joe O. just cost me some $ on my Tipton. What a mean man! image Oh, well!

B
  • Options
    Britz-- Don't dispair... The gray backs should be a important part of the new Super Master Set.
    TWINRON
  • Options
    BK,

Sorry, but yeah, I was thinking the same thing ... instead of $349 ... will you now take $29?!?!?! ... jk ...

TwinRon is right ... they'll find their nitch ...
  • Options
    They will. I had my 52 topps set about 75% complete before I gave up (kept Mays, Mantle, Mathews, Jackie and a few other just in case). If I was still actively building my set, I would have been unhappy with the GBs being part of the existing master set too. I think the Super Master Set is the right place for these variations.....

B
  • Options
    nam812,
    Please email me ay jehall51@zoominternet.net. Thank you.
    John
  • Options
    It looks like PSA added a Super Set. I guess they will only add the other gray backs when one is graded.

http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/Composite.aspx?c=6796
  • Options
    KbKards,
    I am trying to put together a 131-190 gray back set. I have some questions about this subset. If you have time could you please email me at jehall51@zoominternet.net.

Thanks.
    John