Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How to tell a 2002 Official Vatican Euro from the 2002 Patterns?

Hey all,

My wife wanted me to look for a John Paul II coin for our collection. She finds the Vatican coins interesting, as do I.

I've noticed that our European friends made an "official" Euro B.U. Vatican sets from 2002 to 2004 that had his picture on them...and they are pretty expensive. I also see that there are 2002 to 2004 Pattern sets that are not expensive. What is the difference? Is it just the packaging, or are the coins themselves different? If the coins themselves are different, I just want one big one for my collection.

Oh, and a follow-up question. Are either of these actually minted in Vatican City?

TIA,

Steve
Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all those Euro "pattern" sets are private creations.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The "pattern" sets are private issues made in heaven knows where and generally were produced in anticipation of the Euro issues in 2002. This issues don't really have anything to do with the Vatican, but if you like em, caveat emptor.

From 1950 into the 1970s (at least) there were "Provas" of coins of the coins but produced in silver. These are very expensive (sets $2k+)

Here's an ebay action of the official 2002 unc set. The 2002s are very expensive since they were the first year of the Euro.

Linky

Proof sets are in a fancy case with an additional silver medal. There are also 5 and 10 euro silver coins and 20 & 50 euro gold coins since 2002 and I think also a 100 euro. These commems are very attractive, in precious medals and generally the silver are less expensive than the sets of the same year. Gold is very pricy. BTW, the coins in the sets are of the same design with different reverses to indicate the value.

The coins of the Vatican are produced by the Italian mint. They're marketed by the Vatican Numismatic Office.

edited to add: You can get a very nice looking 1970s or 1980s set of JP II, as well as some silver commems or medals, a lot cheaper than the Euro issues. These are very nice looking, usually all the coins of a year are tied to a theme, and the sets have at least one silver large piece. Lots on ebay to choose from.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!