Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ok, you got me

I just barely dabbled in foreign "darkside" gold before I followed some other hobby. Lately I've been chasing U.S. coins. But after teaching geography and history to my (just old enough) kids through coinage, I've been thinking about darkside coins for a richer tapestry of history to draw from. With champagne taste in coinage honed from 30 years of collecting but with a beer budget, I've stoked an interest in World Crowns/Talers/Reales, etc. Big, old, and hopefully beautifully toned specimens. I plan to collect in XF or better and stick them in a Dansco. Being brutally honest, I will be considering the investment potential in my purchases...I want my kids to inherit something that is worth something.

So, you got me. I'm back. You'll see me around asking stupid questions about history, underscoring what can happen when you send your kids to some of the worst public schools. . I may actually own a coin in a few hours if the auction goes my way.

Steve
Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    Welcome aboard!image

I've done the U.S. coin thing too, only to broaden into world/ancient coins without regret. There's a great deal of cool stuff out there that I'd never have known about if I hadn't made the transition into the darkside.

Be sure and post pictures of your coins if you can, it's always nice to see how others collect.image

-William
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back to the hobby.
  • Options
    You will like collecting crowns. Many of the 20th century crowns can be purchased for less than $50 in UNC. Check out my website below to see my world crown collection.
  • Options
    uh oh... more competition... j/k

Steve; It's easy to get "hooked" on Darkside Gold.... be careful image
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Steve,
    Welcome to the darkside. You've definitely enjoy collecting world crowns !!

<< <i>Steve; It's easy to get "hooked" on Darkside Gold.... be careful image >>

I AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimage
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the darkside. I have a collection of darkside gold on my site for reference if you care to look.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside, brother!

BTW, what was your "other hobby"? VWs perhaps? I've had a couple Squarebacks and a 64 sunroof Bug, not to mention all the Type 2 Westfalias, tons of bugs including a split window, oval window, and 70 Karmann Ghia my parents had when I was growing up.

imageimageimage

.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Good to see you here Steve.

Did you get the coin? image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    Oops, lets try that again.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'll be checking out your collections on-line. Yeah, I won't be buying any gold anytime soon. I was bidding on a coin on flea-bay, but I got outbid. I was OK with that because I put my best bid up first and then don't worry if I lose. So last night, I did a little shopping and I found a couple of "feet wetters". I got what appears to be a nice Papal States Lira from 1857 (Pope Pius IX), and a young head Victoria Rupee that is target-rainbow toned. They both look like beautiful coins and were shockingly inexpensive. I think both are cool. The Rupee has East India Trading company written on it as it was made before they were dissolved. And poor Pope Pius IX didn't realize when he minted that Lira that the Papal states had only a few years before it was dissolved. I'd hate to be the "last" ruler like that...kind of embarrassing.

I'll post pictures when I get them. I'm going to try to figure out a way to photograph them so that the toning shows up. Its so important to me, yet most sellers just drop it on a scanner or something. I'm thinking a digital camera and a strategically placed incandescent light, eh?

Steve

• Options

<< <i>Welcome to the Darkside, brother!

BTW, what was your "other hobby"? VWs perhaps? I've had a couple Squarebacks and a 64 sunroof Bug, not to mention all the Type 2 Westfalias, tons of bugs including a split window, oval window, and 70 Karmann Ghia my parents had when I was growing up.

imageimageimage >>

Man, I want to hang out with you! If you go to bugjam, drop me a line...I'm in North Florida...I can show you a nice darkside shop here and introduce you around our VW club. I'm on the AIRs list. I'm "Westy Steve" on the samba.

I have a '74 bay westy...yes...a bay...but I love that Type IV engine and I needed the bigger beds for my family. I absolutely love that bus and will never sell it. I also have a never-ending '62 ragtop beetle project car that I drove a couple decades ago in college. I'll die with them. My wife knows that someday in the future, I'll complete my collection with some kind of rear engine Porsche...maybe a 356...and then all the holes in my Dansco german car album will be filled.

Steve

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    You got have gotten it worse, at least thats a VW van you have and not "the bug".
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Welcome to the Darkside, brother!

imageimageimage >>

Man, I want to hang out with you! If you go to bugjam, drop me a line...I'm in North Florida...I can show you a nice darkside shop here and introduce you around our VW club. I'm on the AIRs list. I'm "Westy Steve" on the samba.

I have a '74 bay westy...yes...a bay...but I love that Type IV engine and I needed the bigger beds for my family. I absolutely love that bus and will never sell it. I also have a never-ending '62 ragtop beetle project car that I drove a couple decades ago in college. I'll die with them. My wife knows that someday in the future, I'll complete my collection with some kind of rear engine Porsche...maybe a 356...and then all the holes in my Dansco german car album will be filled.

Steve >>

Thanks for the kind words, sir! Indeed you have had a lot of cool cars. Here are a couple old Polaroids of one of my Squarebacks, 15 years ago. I always dreamed of putting a Type 4 engine into it, but never had the funds.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22