Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Topps Baseball in PSA 8 and 9...DONE!!

I recently acquired Raymond and Carty in PSA 8's to finish the 1971 Topps Baseball set in an all PSA 8 and 9 condition. I am currently 9th on the registry.

What a monster set to complete, I can tell you I think It is one of the most difficult sets to complete in that condition especially the high number series and low pops.

Thanks to all who have helped me along the way...

You can see the set with the link by my logo if you wish...

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    As much as I love the 1971 set, I have never attempted a high grade set just because of the difficulty involved. The set tricks you. The high number series has no major stars or particularly tough rookies, so you are deceived into believing it will be an easy set to complete. Then you have to find those 'easy' high numbers. Ain't so easy. My congrats to you for completing it. Very impressive!!!

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Queen of cards. That is one tough set , with the Raymond card being just about one of the hardest cards in any set to find in a centered quality state.

Again congratulations image------- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Terrific accomplishment!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!! My favorite year for cards

I was just drooling over your set yesterday. Now you need to complement it with one of the 4th series boxes Steve Hart has image John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Good for you and congrats!
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Way to go, I've always thought about doing that set, maybe one of these days!
    Congrats,
    Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic accomplishment, Felicia. Congratulations!!

So what's next? image
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Congratulations! What a great set to build. It's the first Baseball set I collected as a kid too. I cannot imagine how hard that set would be to build in all 8's and 9's. What a great accomplishment!!
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    You are a true "Rock Star"!
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    You go Girl image
    Fantastic set, Congrats on a monster of a set.
    The 71 set can be a nightmare with those black cards.
  • Options
    Congrats! Nice Set!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Felicia! A fantastic accomplishment by a fantastic person. ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is awesome. Congratulations!
  • Options

<< <i>Fantastic accomplishment, Felicia. Congratulations!!

So what's next? image >>

Finishing my 74 set in psa 8's and higher (96% complete), then my 57 set in psa 8's and 9's (70% complete) , then the 73 set...in psa 9's and 10's (55% complete) and of course always working on my Mantle Basic Player Set.

not all in that order but pretty close...

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    You need to start the 76 Topps set now.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finishing your '71 Topps baseball in PSA 8 and PSA 9. That is an extremely hard set with those black borders...image

Love the Munson card. It's one of my favorites...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Congrats, Felicia ...one of the all-time classic sets!

Mike
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great job and continued success!!!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a fantastic set Felicia - Way to go!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Congratulations on completing the 71 set Felicia.
    As a youth I spent most of my lawn mowing earnings on packs of 71s and still have those dog-eared cards.

Charles
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Congratulations! That is a heck of an accomplishment. I am still working on my raw set (75%) and find it difficult to locate the cards I need. I can only imagine how hard it would be to track down graded examples in PSA 8 and 9.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Prob the last set I would even attempt completely graded!!

Talk about tough!!! And in 8 + 9's WHEW!!!

Congratulations!

Still have the 73 Reggie PSA 9 if you want to trade? image
  • Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
  • Options
    I started on this set a few years ago after finishing the 72 set in 9 and 10...I am now closing in on 80% complete all 9s and one 10 (Tiant) and it has been a labor of love. Very tough set, requires a lot of patience to do in high grade, but I'm not wavering on condition. If it isnt a 9 or better I wont buy it. That puts me at 28 or something like that on the registry, which to me clearly indicates the way they calculate this stuff is not weighted correctly...should be value weighted IMO. BTW, if anybody has a Seaver in a 9 or 10 that's the last star card I need.

Thanks,

EO
  • Options
    Wow congratulations! There are a couple of very tough 8s (commons). Nice job...I cant even imagine trying to complete this beast of a set in 9
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    Well I definately know 2 cards that are tough to find
    in PSA 8 grade - #634 Regan and #635 Murcer. If
    anybody has either of the cards, please let me know.
    I've been looking and looking and looking and.......
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Eric!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    I have the Regan 9 and know who has the Murcer 9, both are pop 1 cards. I'm putting a post up on Buy, Sell, and Trade Board about possibly selling my entire 71 set. Too much money tied up into one set when I have others I'd like to try and complete or start to build.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    No, I don't need PSA 9s, just PSA 8s. That should
    make it alot easier. Anyone?..............
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    heck i want beat up raw...lol i could never afford this set in high grade...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to collect this set in 9 and 10 is like seeing how many times you can run into a brick wall before you pass out. image I applaud you for your efforts. I'm closing in on finishing the set in 8 or better (I need less than 100 upgrades). I've traded some of my 9s like the Claude Raymond and Frank Robinson to build up this and other sets with 8s. I've purchased 4 or 5 high grade sets over the years from various sources, done a lot of trading and also bought a few hundred graded cards on eBay to get to where I'm at with the set. It's one of the toughest sets to assemble in high grade for sure. PSA is very inconsistent in what they deem as an 8. Some look like 9s while many look like 6s or 7s.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats

I just started this set. Will try to do in straight psa 8. It will take me a long time as some I can't see myself spending the $
    on one card when i collect so much other stuff.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Congratulations on a monumental achievement!!!!!!!!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Grading is all over the place on this set....all over the place.
  • Options
    wow- completing a set like this boggles my mind ;

can I ask what a ball park figure is as to it's value ?
  • Options
    ...........i guess it's not proper to ask
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Now you should do the 1971 Topps coin set since they came in the pack with the cards.
  • Options
    Well, up to just under 85% now after a big addition today to my set...all 9s and a couple of 10s. If anyone has any of the remaining cards I need in 9 or higher let me know, I am eager to finish this thing up!

EO
  • Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    From someone who is in the fourth year of building a 1971 set in PSA 8, this is just SICK!
  • Options
    When I saw this thread at the top of the board I thought Felicia may have been back!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Doug,

I read the bottom of your post about having to sell your cards because your wife and daughter both got cancer, my prayers go out to you. I feel terrible you had to part with your collection under such circumstances and I wish you all the best. Sure puts things in perspective.

EO
  • Options
    I just picked up the #3 set on the registry. After upgrading my set to 8, I'll be selling off the rest. Lots of low pop 9s and a few 10s to be had.
  • Options
    I'll take the 9s I need...email me at eolander@yahoo.com and we will work out a fair price for those. Thanks!
  • Options
    I picked up the Seaver 10 and the Boog Powell 9...cant wait to ad them!
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up the Seaver 10 and the Boog Powell 9...cant wait to ad them! >>

Nice pick-ups. I didn't check but the Seaver must be a pop 1. Maybe the Powell too. That one is very often grossly O/C.
  • Options

<< <i>Doug,
    I read the bottom of your post about having to sell your cards because your wife and daughter both got cancer, my prayers go out to you. I feel terrible you had to part with your collection under such circumstances and I wish you all the best. Sure puts things in perspective.
    EO >>

Thank you very much. Prayers help quite a bit. And yes, it DID put life in perspective.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Just added the Seaver 10 and the Powell SP 9, hovering around 85% now...any help toward the last 15% appreciated, though at this point some cards simply dont exist in 9 or 10.

EO