Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What card is considered Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay's Rookie Card?

any boxing collectors here? What card is considered Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay's Rookie Card?

Comments

• Options
    craiggercraigger Posts: 656 ✭✭
    1971 Barratt & Co. Cassius Clay. I have 2 for sale - let me know
    Currently collecting all sports HOF Rookie Cards graded by PSA...for my sons Jayce & Luke.

Successful dealings with: ChiSoxCardboard,
    lbcoach20, ShootyBabitt, cincyredlegs, pclpads, jwgators, hoopguru33, mphilking, daverat, Hallco, corvette1340, 8irvin8, Pre72, Estil, BigDaddyBowman, al032184. 1966CUDA, gwinny, samspop
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    1965 Lampo Grand Champions Cassius Clay #154
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    1954 Watkins & Gerble Ring Kings
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    His birth certificate. image
  • Options
    His draft card. Oh wait, that would count as an unredeemed redemption card wouldn't it. I guess the Gov. sent out a replacement.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    1960 Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    The 1960 Hemmets is not a card. It is an insert that was intended to be put into an album. It has four photos on one sheet. It is impossible to cut each photo evenly due to the spacing and the design on the back. It's an early collectible, but not a card. Actually, I wrote to PSA to try to have it removed from the set registry. The first card is the Rekord Journal card from February 1962. They were printed on the front of a Swedish magazine. Just like the strip cards and the Wheaties cards they were intended to be cut from its original source. They were printed only for one week, because it was a weekly magazine. That series also has the card of Pele, Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, Carmen Basilio, etc. The next card is a 1963 Idoler. It has an orange background. I beleive it was a candy card. The 1964 Heinz card should also be removed from the PSA set registry, because it doesn't even have a picture of Clay on the card. Don't waste your money on the 1971 Goldflake card from the UK. These cards are a dime a dozen, and a lot of fakes made it into holders.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1960 Hemmets is not a card. It is an insert that was intended to be put into an album. It has four photos on one sheet. It is impossible to cut each photo evenly due to the spacing and the design on the back. It's an early collectible, but not a card. Actually, I wrote to PSA to try to have it removed from the set registry. The first card is the Rekord Journal card from February 1962. They were printed on the front of a Swedish magazine. Just like the strip cards and the Wheaties cards they were intended to be cut from its original source. They were printed only for one week, because it was a weekly magazine. That series also has the card of Pele, Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, Carmen Basilio, etc. The next card is a 1963 Idoler. It has an orange background. I beleive it was a candy card. The 1964 Heinz card should also be removed from the PSA set registry, because it doesn't even have a picture of Clay on the card. Don't waste your money on the 1971 Goldflake card from the UK. These cards are a dime a dozen, and a lot of fakes made it into holders. >>

I had a chance to pick up the Hemmets in an ebay auction not too long ago, went really cheap and I forgot about the auction until it was an hour or so too late. I was going to cut it out and have it signed at his latest signing. That would have been an awesome pickup for my HOF signed rookies collection but I totally dropped the ball on it.

Mike
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    so......what is his rookie?
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    1991 Pro Set Portraits
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The first mainstream card of Ali by a major manufacturer is
    1966 Panini.

That company was around for 40 years at least.

The rest are oddball collectibles, but not RC's by the classical definition.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    What about this one?? This is from footage when Ali was training for the Liston fight. Not sure of year of card but wasn't the fight in '65??

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know the year or who issued this one with the Beatles??...the back is blank.
  • Options

<< <i>The first mainstream card of Ali by a major manufacturer is
    1966 Panini.

That company was around for 40 years at least.

The rest are oddball collectibles, but not RC's by the classical definition. >>

Yep, its the Panini...
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    EB you still here? I thought you got poofed with that thread.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    1966 Exhibit or 1966 Panini
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    anyone have any idea what the 66 panini card raw is worth.. looks like about a psa 5... about 65-35 centering. i'm thinking about purchasing one.. but have no clue what a fair offer is.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Well.. i hope its worth atleast 91 bucks.. I picked it up on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350325228559&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i took a chance and picked up a few raw panini cards on ebay yesterday.. a 68 Pele &21 and 69 Mario andretti $26 too.. hopefully they will get slabbed.. and not get miscut or trimmed.. I don't see these very often.. and the andretti and Ali are rookies.. so i'm pretty happy.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Another early ali card just sold on ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120545363889&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT i didn't bid on this one.. but both this and panini seem to go for less than the 71 barratt. Looking forward to getting the panini cards slabbed
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of collectors recognize his '65 Lampo as his key rookie card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    just picked this up...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Swartz1,

nice pickup. I haven't seen one of those stamps before. Neat item.

Mike
  • Options
    Looks like the 65 lampo is considered his rookie. The one on ebay right now is going for about 15 times the 66 panini card that just sold. Obviously i bought the panini card a while back rather than the Lampo card.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    PSA will not grade the Lampo though but Beckett will, annoying. I do like the Lampo. I had four of them at one time before the Italians starting selling them on ebay themselves...
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Boxing cards have really been selling well. A 66 panini ali just sold on ebay for 215. I bid 201 for it but lost. The card looked really nice like an 8 or 9. The back was very clean too. I shied away a bit because it almost looked too good. The colors seemed brighter than most copies that I have seen. Any experts out think this could be a fake? ill post a link when I'm home but the card can be found in completed sales.
  • Options
    The 1966s have a different quality of backgrounds behind Ali. It makes you wonder about the 1966s to some degree.

I still wish the Lampo would be slabbed by PSA. That would be the best looking card to be in a slabbed or autographed in my opinion.

I have a 1967 Ali that is a PSA 8. I wonder if it could be bumped as I had it graded before the 1/2 grade system.

I love that the Panini's are getting more respect now like the Tyson rookie, etc. I think their is getting to be more knowledge out there about them, thus increasing the demand. I bought a ton of the panini's about a decade ago but sold almost all of them. I did get great prices for most of them.

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just won a very nice Tyson Panini that should be arriving soon. I got it in a second chance offer from the seller who sold the last one. It is a little off centered so not mint but should be nice. I am in the market for this card.

This is a card that will be huge in high grade. There are only 7 graded and no 9's or 10's.

• Options
    here is the link to the auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/STICKER-PANINI-CAMP-D-SP-1966-CASSIUS-CLAY-Rookie-U-R-/180672883390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10f16abe

The seller emailed me a scan of the back and it just as clean as the front. If this is real i think it was a heck of a purchase at 215. This is best one i've seen and from the scans looks like at least an 8 to me. There was just something about it that make me think it might be fake. I prob wouldn't have thought about it if i didn't just buy a 64 panini from an italian seller and i'm pretty sure its fake. i got it pretty cheap so i'm too upset about it. The seller insists it is real but it has a blank back and i doubt it would be slabbed by psa. if the buyer of the ali card is on this board.. could you let me know how the card grades if you decide to get it slabbed.

I agree that the lampo should be slabbed by psa. i don't understand the reason why they won't grade it when they grade match books..
  • Options
    Some of the backgrounds on the 1966s look fake for whatever reason and that is one of them.... i have seen nicer 66 Ali cards.........
  • Options
    I'm still partial to this one, autographed though image
  • Options
    simon2010simon2010 Posts: 76 ✭✭
    hi there do u mind if i ask which tyson u picked up and wat price they go for. thank u
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike Tyson Panini

I got this one for $100.

They have been ranging from $80 to $145 the past two months. I see this as a card that is going to go higher personally.

It is extremely difficult to find one that is grading worthy and trust me if one surfaces in high grade it will stun people what it will sell for.

This is the true rookie card of Kid Dynamite Mike Tyson and it is very rare coming from Italy.

• Options
    simon2010simon2010 Posts: 76 ✭✭
    i notice this also,and i can see this hitting the $200 mark in a year or so