Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UFC 101 Tonight - Poppa's Picks

Here's my picks for tonights UFC 101 main card .... feel free to chime in with yours image

B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian ..... B.J. Penn ... (I'm predicting that this one ends right before the 3rd round begins, or shorty after!)

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin ..... Silva ... (Griffin could hand "the Spider" his first UFC loss; I just think Griffin's going to make an early 1st round charge that could wind up being a huge mistake!)

Amir Sadollah vs. Johny Hendricks ..... Hendricks ... (this one could go either way, but I'm sticking with Hendricks!)

Kendall Grove vs. Ricardo Almeida ..... Almeida ... (Although Grove could provide an upset here, I'm hoping that Almeida's ground game will be too much for Grove!)

Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellegrino ..... Neer ... (If the fight stays standing, Neer should be able to win by TKO!)

PoppaJ

Comments

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I like both Kenny and Forrest for the upsets....and that was even BEFORE I saw they are both going off as 2-1 dogs or better!
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like both Kenny and Forrest for the upsets....and that was even BEFORE I saw they are both going off as 2-1 dogs or better! >>

Both are better then 2 to 1 currently on Bodog. Florian is +220 and Griffen is +260. Might be value in both plays as all you would need is one to win. I have long since stopped betting on MMA.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    “Sugar” Shane Nelson -vs.- Aaron Riley could be the match of the night and it's on the dark card.

As for the PPV matches, I pick:

Neer
    Almeida
    Amir Sadollah (2-0) -vs.- vs Johnny Hendricks (5-0) Why the hell is this on the main card? I don't care who wins.
    Griffin
    Florian
    imageRIP
  • Brock Lesnar will go on a 'roid rage, burst through the cage door and destroy all of them! image
    PayPal is not your pal!
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Glad I didnt put my money where my mouth was!image
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's my picks for tonights UFC 101 main card .... feel free to chime in with yours image

B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian ..... B.J. Penn ... (I'm predicting that this one ends right before the 3rd round begins, or shorty after!)

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin ..... Silva ... (Griffin could hand "the Spider" his first UFC loss; I just think Griffin's going to make an early 1st round charge that could wind up being a huge mistake!)

Amir Sadollah vs. Johny Hendricks ..... Hendricks ... (this one could go either way, but I'm sticking with Hendricks!)

Kendall Grove vs. Ricardo Almeida ..... Almeida ... (Although Grove could provide an upset here, I'm hoping that Almeida's ground game will be too much for Grove!)

Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellegrino ..... Neer ... (If the fight stays standing, Neer should be able to win by TKO!)

PoppaJ >>

4/5 not too shabby....Not a great card.
    I thought the best fight was the last prelim fight they showed after Penn/Florian
  • bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Man, how sad did Griffin look? Silva just toyed with him and picked him apart.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    As much as I like Griffin, I enjoyed watching Silva orchestrate his way to a fantastic win. He regained his respect and in my book should be rated #1 in the world .... okay, I think my adrenaline is still running wild .... but what a fight!

There was never a doubt in my mind that B.J. Penn would lose! I'm surprised that it went past 3 rounds.

Though I picked Johny Hendricks over Sadollah, I think the fight was stopped way too soon, as did most. I'm not really convinced that all of those uppercuts did the job or not! Apparently the ref did!

I kept yelling at Neer to stay up, but Pellegrino took control on the ground and cost me some money!

Almeida winning by UD wasn't surprising in the least .... Grove had his chances, but just couldn't cash in! I'm glad I picked Almeida!

The Prelims were pretty boring but I did enjoy the battle of the Georges!

Highlight of the night ....

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure Silva's trunks don't qualify as match used since he pounded him so quick.
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Embarrassing "performance" by Griffin. image
    imageRIP
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I don’t know how anyone could possibly contest that Silva is the best in the world after that performance. I was shocked after I saw that fight. He made Forest look like an armature. Does anyone have a link to the post fight Q&A session? I would love to hear what forest had to say after he ran out of the cage after he got pounded.

<< <i>I don’t know how anyone could possibly contest that Silva is the best in the world after that performance. I was shocked after I saw that fight. He made Forest look like an armature. Does anyone have a link to the post fight Q&A session? I would love to hear what forest had to say after he ran out of the cage after he got pounded. >>

//////////////////////////////

Hi John,

I'm not aware that Griffin was available for questioning. The following is excerpted from Dana White's post fight interview:

"At the post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White said he hadn’t seen Griffin following the knockout, and had no idea where he’d gone or why he left, though White added that he believed Griffin simply bolted from the Octagon as a result of his being an emotional fighter.

What injuries Griffin suffered in the defeat, if any, are not yet known as the card’s medical suspensions have yet to be released, but should be available in the coming days."

PoppaJ

• mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    I would love to see Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida fight each other. I think Machida's stand up is just as good as Silva's, and I think he would over power Anderson.

<< <i>I would love to see Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida fight each other. I think Machida's stand up is just as good as Silva's, and I think he would over power Anderson. >>

/////////////////////////

I'd love to see it too, even though Silva says it'll never happen, but here's an interesting article that spells hope:

Silva: No Machida

Silva, 34, has won 11 fights in a row, including 10 in UFC, and has said that he would like to retire at 35. He has gone back and forth between the middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions over the past year, while UFC officials try to keep him motivated.

"He wants to be involved at the biggest fights we can put together, whether it's at 185 or 205," said Silva's manager and translator, Ed Soares.

To a point.

Silva refuses to face one of the most intriguing potential opponents, light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, because they are friends and training partners. Silva on Sunday shook his head and wagged his finger at the idea of facing Machida.

"Lyoto's my friend, he's my brother and there's no way that fight will happen," Silva said via translation. "Also, not just because he's my friend, it'll be a big problem for me."

Although Machida and Silva have different backgrounds as fighters, they have the same tactical mindset — avoid damage first, then take advantage of small openings to try quick knockouts or takedowns.

If Silva beats other elite 205-pound fighters, a fight with Machida will happen despite their relationship, White said.

"It has nothing to do with friendship," White said. "It has to do with who's the best. ... I promise you I'll make that fight."

PoppaJ

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Forrest Update

I just read that it's a possibility that Silva with give up the Middleweight title and make a permanent move to Light Heavyweight. That would be interesting to say the least.