Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Silver Eagles

bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
My 15 year old daughter and I are interested in starting a collection of PCGS American Silver Eagle MS69 and PR69 sets. I am looking for some advice on where best to buy from.
Thank you,
Robert
Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    You can sometimes find good deals on eBay and Teletrade.

For Teletrade, I would advise utilizing their Coin Prices search tool.

As a word of caution, be sure that whatever you buy has a good return policy as some of these coins have a tendency to develop "milk spots" which are really grade limiting. In other words, ANY MS70 or PR70 SAE with Milk Spots, is not a true MS/PR70 coin. Likewise with the lower grades.

It is totally possible, through patience and diligence, to assemble a Milk Spot free set.

Lastly, shopping at coin shops and coin shows can sometimes pay big dividends if you decide to get the coins graded yourself. PCGS has a really nice deal for the Colectors Club Memberships which currently costs $199 a year to join. For that price, you get 8 free gradings in addition to 4 free quarterly gradings frovided you have the coin or coins which are part of the quarterly promotion.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    It would be good to develop a sense of the varying prices by year of issue. Maybe make yourselves a budget ahead of time for each coin to be acquired. Then hunt them down with patience. Coin shops, local shows, ebay, Teletrade would be my thoughts.

Have fun!
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>My 15 year old daughter and I are interested in starting a collection of PCGS American Silver Eagle MS69 and PR69 sets. I am looking for some advice on where best to buy from.
    Thank you,
    Robert >>

I just sold a nice set on the BST... Check there or Teletrade. Also Ebay.. They can be very hard to get all the coins without those spots so be careful..image
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My 15 year old daughter and I are interested in starting a collection of PCGS American Silver Eagle MS69 and PR69 sets. I am looking for some advice on where best to buy from.
    Thank you,
    Robert >>

to each his own,
    but realize that these are considered by many
    to be worth little more than melt
    LCoopie = Les
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a set of MS69 SAEs. I didn't have the milk spot issue but I did sell them largely because of it.
    I decided to keep our SAE collection largely raw (save for some toned ones).

If you are serious about going this route, do some forum searching for "milk spots" and read about what people are seeing.
    Nothing wrong with having some slabbed ones, but best to be aware of what you may be getting into.

Maybe you may decide to stay raw first (still no guarantee you won't get milk spots but at least the cost basis should be closer to melt, for most).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>I've had a set of MS69 SAEs. I didn't have the milk spot issue but I did sell them largely because of it.

If you are serious about going this route, do some forum searching for "milk spots" and read about what people are seeing.
    Nothing wrong with having some slabbed ones, but best to be aware of what you may be getting into.

Maybe you may decide to stay raw first (still no guarantee you won't get milk spots but at least the cost basis should be closer to melt, for most). >>

I agree. I like the ASE's also, and had most of the expensive ones, but the milk spot issue really got to me, and I sold them off. As he stated, search the forums. Building a set in a dansco would be fun and rewarding if this is what you want to do, and probably how I may start back up ( I am guessing they will also tone nicely in a Dansco, which hopefully may keep them from developing milk spots, but thats an assumption). I have noticed more spotted ones in slabs than out, but this is not my series and I do not claim to have looked at a huge amount of them. If you are going to collect them in slabs, at least PCGS has a guarantee and will honor it.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Sold my set a year ago. All my older ones never developed spots but they developed on the newer ones and it was too much trouble replacing them and finding ones that were treated correctly to no spot.

i.e. If you do start make sure they do not have spots. You may want to seal them in airtite vegetable bags with one of those electronic sealers to avoid future spotting.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    of course you can always buy them each year directly from the mint
    there is no advantage to having them graded
    LCoopie = Les
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    If I was going to collect American silver eagles I would collect the proofs only. As is mentioned already in this thread these coins are high volume and really just bullion coins.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've had a set of MS69 SAEs. I didn't have the milk spot issue but I did sell them largely because of it.

Maybe you may decide to stay raw first (still no guarantee you won't get milk spots but at least the cost basis should be closer to melt, for most). >>

Don't be afraid of the Silver Eagles and I hope all these comments don't kill you plan. I have a full set of MS 69 and Proof 70 eagles including specials and W marks. I have over 200 eagles and "knock on wood" not one milk spot. So everyone doesn't get or see them in their area. FYI
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she's collecting for the pure enjoyment of it, don't worry about spotting. It tends to occur on the newer issues, and from what I have seen can occur at any time (even after grading/slabbing). Coins may very well spot after she purchases them so why worry about it. I imagine some day "spotting" will be like toning and become popular. Just think, "NS" or "AS."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    My American Silver Eagle haikus:

It's the A. S. E.
    Slab it?!? It's not really a
    A coin anyway.

I go raw and cheap.
    A large bright coin, millions made.
    I like them in bulk.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Don't be afraid of the Silver Eagles and I hope all these comments don't kill you plan. I have a full set of MS 69 and Proof 70 eagles including specials and W marks. I have over 200 eagles and "knock on wood" not one milk spot. So everyone doesn't get or see them in their area. FYI >>

Like I said, I didn't have milk spots either, but the OP should at least be aware of the issue. To just ignore it is foolish.
    As long as someone goes into it with their eyes open and the knowledge of what may, or may not, happen, it is ok; imho.

Imagine if your PR70 set got milk spotted...what sort of investment hit would that be? I hope it doesn't happen but, for someone just getting into these, it is best to know about it (note....I think it is a bit overhyped, in a negative way, but I do know it can happen....best to limit involvement if the funds mean something to you)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    If you need any PR69's PM me.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    I'd skip the slabbed and go the Dansco route. MS69 and PR69 aren't anything special.
    imageRIP

<< <i>I'd skip the slabbed and go the Dansco route. MS69 and PR69 aren't anything special. >>

This is a good suggestion, also the investment getting them RAW is much less therefore less risk. This will be more fun to do with kids too and the album takes much less space than a bunch of slabs.
  • MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd skip the slabbed and go the Dansco route. MS69 and PR69 aren't anything special. >>

This is a good suggestion, also the investment getting them RAW is much less therefore less risk. This will be more fun to do with kids too and the album takes much less space than a bunch of slabs. >>

No muss, no fuss, no worry about those pesky spots. Plus, they look great in a Dansco!

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

Thank you,
    Robert >>

They are just a little more than a dime a dozen on eBay - try the BST's here also.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This is a good suggestion, also the investment getting them RAW is much less therefore less risk. This will be more fun to do with kids too and the album takes much less space than a bunch of slabs. >>

No muss, no fuss, no worry about those pesky spots. Plus, they look great in a Dansco!

image >>

Sorry, but I've had SAE's Milk Spot in my DANSCO so that "no fuss, no worry" is baloney. 1996 and 1998 were both heavily spotted.

Since the OP indicated "MS69 and PR69 sets." one can only assume they are refering to "graded" SAE's. DANSCO's are nice as I have one but graded coins will bring better resale, especially if they are not Milk Spotted.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭
    You may want to consider starting with the anniversary set, then build a collection of the burnished ASE's... you only have to go back to 2006...

Building a set of walking liberty half's (raw) might be a better learning experience, and more interesting to look at.
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    One thing to remember is to COLLECT WHAT YOU LIKE, BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT!! If your thing is to collect graded ASEs with your daughter, then more power to you.

As for me I don't really have much in the way of actual info for you, as I really don't collect the series, I only have three of them (and oddly enough all are 2001). I don't feel the need to have anything graded, myself. I base my collection on weather or not I like the coin, and I don't care what anybody else says about it!

For the milk spotting issue, one of my three has it. Maybe you should work on a set that looks good, then worry about what some group of people in some far off place says it "is" or "isn't" or how much "value" it has...

My thoughts on this subject....for what they are worth.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Robert, Lcoopie said: “to each his own, but realize that these are considered by many to be worth little more than melt”

Now, I would never criticize anyone’s choice of coin to collect (collect what pleases you), but please remember that these are silver bullion “coins” (albeit very pretty ones), and the cost of slabbing these or buying slabbed, especially at the MS/PR69 level, will put you in a big financial hole, especially (but not limited to) the 1995-W proof.

I only have two slabbed SAE's: a 1986 PCGS MS69 and a 1986 PCGS PR69DCAM (first year of issue); they’re just type coins for me. They’re very nice, spot-free coins, but that potential spotting problem would definitely steer me away from collecting these slabbed.

Meluaufeet said: “Building a set of walking liberty half's (raw) might be a better learning experience, and more interesting to look at.”

And I agree; if you just like the silver eagle obverse design, a short set (1941-1947) of Walking Liberty half dollars would make a lot of sense, plus you get the great Walker reverse, too!

Cartwheel
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I used to collect SAEs, but sold them when silver ran up to $15 a couple of years ago. I almost wish I still had them. My comments would be buy RAW Uncs as these are only bullion coins and you can pick them up a shows for just a little over melt in most cases. The only one that is any money at all is the 06-W and there are only a couple of the W coins (three I think) needed for the complete set. If the Mint sells one this year, buy that one.

The rest were made in the millions, but they fill an album wonderfully. They are a big coin with a beautiful design. I would even buy the proof coins raw as 70s from either PCGS or NGC will be a lot of money and you don't want a 70 from a 3rd tier service. You can acquire them slowly and have a beautiful collection for not much more than $20 a coin on average for the Uncs. It is a great way to start. Also, you can often find them at small shows and it gives you a good reason to search the bourse. One of the thrills of collecting is the chase. And it is always more fun in person.

Good Luck!!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ASE's are beautiful coins... and they ARE coins. I think your project is a good one for you and your daughter. I would (if it were me), stick to raw coins (I do have both, but my major sets are not slabbed). My 95W is slabbed - I purchased it that way years ago. It has been posted here (by Russ) that an early dip seems to prevent milk spots - do a search on milk spots here - you will get a ton of information. I have not had the problem, and I have many ASE's. The fact that some of us have not had milk spots does not minimize the issue. It does happen. If you collect raw coins (and work on your personal grading skills), should you encounter milk spots, it will be cheaper and quicker to replace the coin. That way you can still have an attractive, problem free set - personally assembled and the added value of learning to grade and appreciate your skills. Good luck.. Cheers, RickO
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thank you,
    Robert >>

to each his own,
    but realize that these are considered by many
    to be worth little more than melt >>

There are some who feel this way about 2 1/2 gold dollars.
    Paul
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>of course you can always buy them each year directly from the mint
    there is no advantage to having them graded >>

Except of course this year 2009.
    Paul
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all of your advice. After talking to my daughter today, she indicated what fun it would be to collect raw Eagles. She asked me to start a Dansco album. This makes sense to have fun, not break the bank and spend some valuable time with my daughter.

Robertimage
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

<< <i>Thank you for all of your advice. After talking to my daughter today, she indicated what fun it would be to collect raw Eagles. She asked me to start a Dansco album. This makes sense to have fun, not break the bank and spend some valuable time with my daughter.

Robertimage >>

Congrats, that will be fun. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file