Home Metal Detecting
Options

What's the strangest thing you've ever found?

I wouldn't call this strange but it was kinda neat and brought back memories for me.

My father tilled up some ground for a garden so I decided I would see what I could find. I only went down 2 rows so far but found a ton of junk. Still have 20 or so rows to go. Dirt was super easy to dig I could use my hands. That's always nice image.

Anyhow, I dug up one of my old Matchbox cars. It was a semi truck. It was in 3 pieces. Must have been hit with the mower or something. We were the first to live on this land, At least for a while. It was all weeds & Trees when my parents purchased the 15 acres. They cleared it out, put up a house, barn and other outbuildings. I've also found some modern coins I assume were from me. I remember tossing pennies, nickels & Dimes in the yard when I was younger & Bored. Kinda neat to dig up memories like that. always brings a smile to my face when I find something I lost 10-15 years ago.

What's the strangest thing you have found? Ever found something you lost as a child in your own yard?
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    While metal detecting I found a partial set of teeth with gold filling inside. That was while detecting in the water. Gold is Gold I guess!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once found one of those round brass plates that mounted on the grille of an old car (you know the type- motor clubs still issue them in Europe, I think.)

But this one had a cross in the middle of it and the word MORTICIAN in big letters. Apparently the mortician made house calls in the 1930s or so.

That's in a box somewhere out in the shed. I should take a picture of it.

I've heard of a guy on the beach finding a metal detector (functional after some repairs- had a broken shaft. Somebody probably lost patience and smashed it, like a frustrated golfer smashing his clubs).

Another beach hunter found a prosthetic leg.

To steal Steve (Millennium's) thunder, he reportedly found an old dog rabies tag in a park we both used to hunt regularly. Not an unusual find in itself. But this tag was still attached to a collar.

And the collar still attached to ol' Fido, or what remained of him! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strangest thing I have found, was not an MD find. I was hunting in AZ and went up this small ravine, which turned into a dead end... sort of a grotto. It looked as if it had been 'occupied' at one time, but not in any recent year. There was a small cleft at the end of the grotto, and I could see a 'shelf' like opening. I looked in, and after clearing twigs, leaves etc, found a crystal skull - not full size, about the size of a hardball... a tad larger actually. Very strange - I still have it actually. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    ricko, pics of the crystal skull are a must!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone's pot pipe. Imagine! Here in Santa Cruz. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    wasn't MDing, but I did find a ceramic or marble crack pipe while walking along some train tracks. I was a kid and took it home to show my parents (I didn't know what it was). Needless to say it went straight to the bottom of the trash.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>ricko, pics of the crystal skull are a must! >>

imageimage
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ricko, pics of the crystal skull are a must! >>

True-- it's like someone saying: "Oh, yeah, I bought this old painting frame and there's what looks like a really old copy of the Declaration of Independence in it. Weird, huh?"
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I accompanied Phut one day to what was an old farm. I found the thermometer that sits atop a radiator on an old Model T Ford.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    By the way, where is Phut ? Haven't seen him here for months and weeks.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May not be the strangest thing but it was the hardest to look for. A Principal broke her gold necklass trying to stop a kid from running into a street. Later she realized what happened and couldn't find her carat diamond that was on it. I did find it. She had another one and I listened to it before I started out in the grassey area. The gold on it just made a very small "scratch" on the setting where you locate everything. Fortunately there wasn't much trash in this area. She gave me $50 so it was a good day for me too.
  • Options
    i found a chum grinder once...must have fell off a boat....makes great burger meat now...hee hee hee....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>i found a chum grinder once...must have fell off a boat....makes great burger meat now...hee hee hee....hh >>

Bet your burgers have a flavor all their own.

Ray
  • Options
    A dog collar......with the remains of the dog still in it...image